So who makes the better box van, ford or gmc?

Becker

Name
Becker
Running a slide in. Go with Ford..

CDS style.. Chevy....

Want to piss off the go America folks.. look at the new Nissan van .

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
I'm not sure whether there's an outstanding difference between the two makes as cutaway vans as long as you avoid the Ford V-10. You may see bigger quality differences in the box depending on the box builder. Avoid Utilimaster, spec an aluminum roll up door and you should be OK.

Cameron1

Check out the 170 wheelbase on the Sprinter box van. Great ride,great mileage, and more power than you will ever need.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
Mikey P said:
got to get some new wheels.

Life in a cab over has gotten OLD.

you/we just got the wrong cab over....getting out of the UD and into the Chevy.......I became a born again carpet cleaner......

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
Box - New NPR's.
Van - Sprinter or high top Nissan NV.

Just imo.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Ford builds a better truck IMO
But I'm by no means anti Chevy

Ford's typically get better gas mileage too
(unless Chevy has changed sump'um in the last couple/few years)

if you're buying new, buy the one offering the most financial incentive$

..L.T.A.

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
I have never had good luck with the Fords I have owned. Always had better luck with my GMC's. My Brother in Law is also the head mechanic at our Ford dealer but I just haven't had good luck with them. He would agree. We have had a lot of GMC service vans with over 250k on the drive train and over another 11,000 hours of butler run time on them.

Mark Saiger

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I've got several Ford box trucks and 1-Chevy I can't really tell much of a difference.

While the vehicles drive nearly the same and you'll get rid of the bounce (might actually be able to keep your nuts in your sack) a big box can still be under powered and sluggish unless you get some power to push it up hills and on the freeway.

Then it's added costs for more dollars in fuel, but at least you'll get where you want, when you want. :cry: Not sure if you're looking at gas or diesel, our Ford Power Stroke has plenty of power when you need it, of course it costs you when you step on it.

You also could consider a custom box like Jim's or Mike Draper's. They probably don't feel as boxy as a standard box and most likely will get in and out of traffic better.

I would drive what ever box truck you plan on geting before you buy it. While it can look great on the web or in a brochure out in traffic or in the wind could be a different story.

FORD
15DuctTruck.jpg

CHEVY
Butler9-1.jpg

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Mikey, I see a sprinter in your future....perfect for the locals cause it's weird looking.

Just get the cab closed off from the rest of the van an it will "feel" like a box truck.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Brian R said:
Mikey, I see a sprinter in your future....perfect for the locals cause it's weird looking.

Just get the cab closed off from the rest of the van an it will "feel" like a box truck.

Can someone bookmark this post so I can bring it up again when Mikey proves me right? Thanks. !gotcha!

Name
Al
I just ordered a Nissan high top van, we should have it Wednesday. This thing is well thought out and very powerful. We order it with all options it even has a backup camera. Can't wait to get it wrapped.

C

cucu

or wait a few months and see the new Ram/Fiat van that comes out in 2012..same size as the sprinter

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
I kinda liked the new Nissan look.

Saw one on the road the other day.

The photo doesn't do it justice

6a00d83451b3c669e201310fa03843970c-800wi

Now that I look at it closer...it might not be the same one. lol

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I just ordered a Nissan high top van, we should have it Wednesday.
I've been thinking about one too,(except Ken keeps whispering in my ear "Buy American Dammit!" :|) looks like it could be the next move in the cargo van market.

Nissan sure make nice products and I like the space in the tall van. I love the cab and just about everything but the front end, but I'd be willing to trade that for a nice ride and dependability.

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
For sure Richard- gotta help the US economy. I realize there are parts made everywhere but most US brand cars are made primarily in the US. In detroit it would not be good business to drive foreign made trucks.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
Ken Snow said:
For sure Richard- gotta help the US economy. I realize there are parts made everywhere but most US brand cars are made primarily in the US. In detroit it would not be good business to drive foreign made trucks.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

I agree and buy American every time I can.

Everyone complains about the economy, lately very few spend the dollars in a place where it will help it grow and keep moving.

S

sam miller

I would personally wait a few years on the nissan make sure no break problems like the titan had when it was new.

steve g

Name
steve garrett
I think a GM medium duty truck with a box or a freightliner m2 business class truck would be the best way to go, or maybe a dodge or ford chassis cab with the long frame and a box. when I drove cab overs I always cringed at the thought of being in an accident. that thing is like driving a soda can.

joeynbgky

Supportive Member
Name
Joey
I love the chevy 6.0............. But ford has stepped it up lately. There cars are selling like hot cakes right now. and they look good too. consumer reports bad vehicles for every manufacturer but said ford doesnt have one they cannot recommend!. But the chevy seems to be a little cheaper. and if you want GMS price let me know.

Bob Foster

Jim Martin said:
[quote="Mikey P":18vayu5h]got to get some new wheels.

Life in a cab over has gotten OLD.

you/we just got the wrong cab over....getting out of the UD and into the Chevy.......I became a born again carpet cleaner......[/quote:18vayu5h]

Ding - Ding - Ding! Exactly. Fook the cut-away vans. And set the weight up in it properly.

Cut-Aways
Crappy turning radius
Horrible maintenance access
Lighter suspension
Less visibility
Less payload
Diesels are less power than their cab over counterparts
Gases are very expensive to drive - when hauling a big ass box full of heavy crap

KKProtoR.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom