Solution hose on a reel, why bother?

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
So, in my quest to become faster/more efficient, I went and got a reel(http://www.wayfair.com/Liberty-Garden-3-in-1-Hose-Reel-703-2-S2-LYT1012.html) just for my new fancy parker 100" lead hose.

The reel I got doesn't seem to work well for this, the (inside)diameter of the reel is smaller than the crimp area of the hose. Hose just seems like it's being bent to much. Difficult to attach etc. So, I'm using it as a garden hose reel, and hand coiling/rolling my sol. hose, again... Which actually doesn't take that long, still......

My question: If your just going to take the sol. hose off the reel and hand roll(over the shoulder/whatever) to bring if the house, why even put it on a reel? Why not just hand roll it at end of job, net job bring it in rolled and roll it out to the van?

How do you use your reels to be more efficient? And how can I? I have the reel above(link) and the one attached to vac reel.

Reactions: JOJO

carpetcleaner

Name
Rob Litwin
I do pull the first 75ft of the solution hose off of the reel and carry it into the house, dragging the rest off of the reel as I'm walking. It is quicker for me than unrolling by hand.

I lay my hoses out on the ground in "S" shapes as I finish cleaning. I than roll the hoses back on to the reels as I wipe them clean. I have found it to be much faster with a solution reel.

I do drag my hoses, but not it doesn't seem to hurt them.

Jay_wat

Supportive Member
Name
Jay Watson
Years ago with my dad's old box vans,, no reels for the vac or pressure hoses,, just a stand with branch arms out at a angle,, for both lines,, was fast to go in the box van and grab what you needed,, with a reg van I don't see that happening,, as I unreel the pressure line,, it naturally wants to go in a figure 8,, if done proper,, it can be laid out on the job quickly,, and I like using a reel to wipe the hoses down to be ready for the next job

Larry B

Name
Larry Burrell
Guy in Illinois always had 3 55 gallon trash cans in his van 2 for vac hose and 1 for water line.

.... while Peeing into the vacuum hose

Name
Lee Stockwell
Each 100ft section of solution hose on our trucks is on an ordinary hand held cord reel (1/4" steel).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
I run my vacuum hose first.....roll off 50 ft on my arm and string it back from the furthest point.....then I will roll off onto my arm what I need to get from the front door to the end of my vacuum hose...and pull it off the reel to the front door and lay out what is on my arm and connect the 2 hoses......
from there I can judge how much solution line I am going to need and figure 8 it in my hand and pull it off the reel to the front door...start laying it out to the end of my vacuum hose.......99% of the time I can get it right on the mark...........

the way I see it the reel is more for the ease of rolling up and storage then laying out....

Reactions: Cleantechsk

Charlie Lyman

Supportive Member
Name
Charlie Lyman
In my trailer I hang the solution hose on the wall. In the van I would unroll it into my hands then take it into the house. Then at the end of the job I would roll it back up into my hands, lay it on the ground behind the van and roll it into the reel. I like it better hanging in the wall. Just pick it up and go into the house.

Sent from my motorola flip phone using Crapatalk 1.1

Name
Brad Gouveia
I always wipe my hose off as I am winding my up.

I guess if your carrying it in and out it may not get very dirty, but I can tell you the rag I use to wipe it off with is always dirty,

Mikey P

Administrator
Tidiness if for no other reason.

aerotech.jpg

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
Tidiness if for no other reason.

aerotech.jpg

That's pretty much the only benefit. I keep my lead hose hanging from my van ceiling (along with my 50' "outside" hose), and my 3 other 100' Parker hoses are hung from bungies. It looks cluttered, but what the hey. It's faster than pulling them off a reel (and putting them back on and then coiling them back in you arm again to bring them back into the next job).

Name
Nate W.
Call me lazy, but I like to take the solution line in to the furthest point, then the vacuum hose... Solution line is soo much easier to deal with then the vacuum hose first...

I have a sol/hose reel, but I coil it by hand.. It's only used to store the rest of the hoses.. I'll start using it more, when I get an electric hose reel..

KevinL

Supportive Member
Name
Kevin Leach
Hey Dustin, I noticed in your video that you rolled the vacuum hose up last. Doesn't your solution line get tangled in the vac line when you roll it? Try rolling the vac line up first. Much easier. And why do you hold the solution line in your hand walking in? Why not put it over your arm to keep your hands free to open doors or whatever?

Able 1

Name
Keith
I hang 75' of parker on the front of my TM, and run a 100' live Cox reel with Goodyear from the van.. I like to keep my inside hose off the ground. For clean up I can coil it while my helper is cleaning, so I just pick the hose up, and just reel the rest. I would say set up takes me and my helper about 5mins, and break down is about 4..

Cleantechsk

Name
Dustin
Hey Dustin, I noticed in your video that you rolled the vacuum hose up last. Doesn't your solution line get tangled in the vac line when you roll it? Try rolling the vac line up first. Much easier. And why do you hold the solution line in your hand walking in? Why not put it over your arm to keep your hands free to open doors or whatever?

i break down on both ways, depends on the job. I had everything else inside from previous trip. Generally Ill carry the wand into the front door with the solution then start what I did once inside the house. My spotting bag has a shoulder strap so generally Im carrying in 3 things on first trip..just wasn't in video.

Back
Top Bottom