Solvent or water based carpet prO TEk tOR

What do you use?

• Total voters

Mikey P

Administrator
I'm a solvent guy myself.

Just can't bring it upon myself to dump a gallon of water on 200 square feet.

I used Hardball for years ti'l the odor made me sic to my stomach from over exposure.

Now using Cobbs.

when it starts to make me puke I guess I'll move on to Magic Wand's if I'm not dead.

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
I've always been a Fourguard guy. But after being able to test solvent based protectors I'm moving closer and closer to them. I do however use solvent protector always for upholstery.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
For upholstery solvent, lots of ventilation.
For carpet always water. Too much toxic solvents to add to the clients home environment + really bad for us due to continuous and repetitious exposure.

Mike, just curious, your body through feeling sick headaches etc, is telling you sound and clear not to use the solvents.
Yet, you are ignoring it.
How come?

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
You have my sincere, not to mention the utmost admiration for you exceptional dedication.

For us BDCs, you are the Shawn York of carpet protection :p

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
Larry Cobb got me to switch last year and have been using cobbs ultraseal eversince. It last longer, when I go back to clean an area I cleaned six months ago I don't even need a string prespray, as everything comes clean so easily.

What is the best sprayer for applying the solvent protector? If you have a mulitsprayer, changing the jet is not practical.

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
I certainly wouldn't spray solvents. I want to live a long life. I don't even push Scotchgard, just apply it when the customers ask. Waste of money for the most part, toxic, useless. I don't make as much money with this policy, but I will attend Mikey's funeral. The ultimate Mikeyfest.

Name
Ron lippold
hard ball for me i have tried cobbs and like it but it leaves a residue on tile and stone that has to be buffed off. not with hard ball

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
Soil blocker water based sprayed with the multisprayer w/ a 01 tip.

tmdry said:

Do you prespray with an 01 tip as well?

That would take forever.

If I have a multi sprayer on my truck, I want to be able to use it for prespraying as well.

I would think a pump sprayer with an 01 tip would work best.

That is what I meant earlier (what tip size).

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
danielc said:
tmdry said:

Do you prespray with an 01 tip as well?

That would take forever.

If I have a multi sprayer on my truck, I want to be able to use it for prespraying as well.

I would think a pump sprayer with an 01 tip would work best.

That is what I meant earlier (what tip size).

My multisprayer is only for protector. You can switch jugs with the multisprayer if you want, I used to do that, but I prefer my setup now.

I do have a Fimco 8 gallon battery sprayer with Cobb's 24 inch wand fitted with a 06 tip, that's what I use for pre spray.

I'll never go back to a pump up.

joeynbgky

Supportive Member
Name
Joey
I keep both on the truck......... both hardball brands.. $9 a room for water based $15 a room for solvent.. that simple.. We explain both kinds to the consumer and the differences

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
For upholstery solvent, lots of ventilation.
For carpet always water. Too much toxic solvents to add to the clients home environment + really bad for us due to continuous and repetitious exposure.
Like Kolfer water base except for upholstery. I'm concerned about the solvent usage both for the client, (more perceived liability than actual exposure) and my tech's long term exposure.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
The solvent used in our Ultraseal is safer than odorless mineral spirits . . .

which is the slower-drying base solvent used in most solvent-based fluorochemicals.

Breathing any fluorochemical (water or solvent-based) is not ideal .

Use a long extension, and spray close to the carpet to minimize the product in the breathing zone.

A respirator is always good practice
(I know customers react to it).

Larry

KevinL

Supportive Member
Name
Kevin Leach
While we are at it, what do you guys think of the ads that Jondon puts on their flyers about the insane prices and profit that can be made with Scotchgard? Anybody getting $65 a room for SG?

Name
Lee Stockwell
I've learned over the years that any vendor or supplier who attempts to get you to buy into "greedy profits" to use their product is...

....doing just that to YOU.

Back
Top Bottom