Some tips to track and handle phone calls

Kipp

Name
kip
Whether you are a O/O or a multi-truck outfit you know how important each and every phone call is. Taking calls, converting calls, and tracking where the calls came from can be very time consuming and sometimes in our hectic days we forget to track and evaluate the very thing that drives our business.

If you choose to use several different advertising sources and don't track the ROI on each one this one mistake can cost you your business or at the very least cost you a good chunk of net.

Tracking how many calls you get, where they came from, what type of customer called, how many converted to a job, etc. etc. is a lot of work. In a larger company it would make sense to have someone in an administrative position tracking this (though a lot of companies still don't), but in a O/O case it does not make financial sense to pay someone to track this...even though it is such vital information.

One good tool I found for tracking my calls from different sources was hostednumbers.com (I am sure there are many others, that' just the one I used) This service allowed me to have custom numbers and assign them to different advertising sources.

Tracking is as easy as logging on and viewing the numbers of calls received on each number for whatever date range you want. The calls are recorded so you can listen to them. There is also a "whisper" function that will notify you before each call what source the callers is calling from.

They also have a "caller insight" option that will give you stats like age, gender, home value, financial status etc. etc. Great tool for tracking the effectiveness of your advertising sources.

Also another great tool is ringcentral.com. This is a cloud based phone system that gives your customer a "big company" feel when the call you. It would take pages to describe what this system does but it is definitely worth looking into. They have a phone app integration, auto receptionist, call transfer, call forwarding, ring me, message to email, the list goes on and on. They have answering rules for what ever hours and days you specify...it gives you the functionality of phone systems the used to cost $10K plus for a little as $40 a month...simply a no brainer.

The coolest thing is you have your office phone no matter where you are...and you have the complete functionality. With the ring options you can set the system up to ring several phones at the same time, or you can have it rings phones in a certain order.

Or let's say you have your wife or answering service taking calls. I would rather take the initial call, close the deal...then transfer them to my wife or service to book the job. This way I can keep working and know that all the customers info is getting recorded correctly each time. (I used to hate having to put down the wand, take my gloves off, and go through getting all their info for the appointment...really slowed me down)

With the auto receptionist you can screen calls and only have the calls you want coming through to your phone. for example if I had someone I used to schedule appointments but didn't trust them to close the deal then I could have "press one for a quote" or "press two if you are ready to schedule"...this way I only get the calls that need to be sold and not bothered with calls that just need data entry.

Anyway check it out...if you have any questions let me know I have played around with both quite a bit...

Mikey P

Administrator
those Yelp results are skewed...
lots of the folks will say Google or website when they reall mean Yelp, they have no idea where they are reading my reviews.

Kip is right though....like my father always use to tell me, "Don't be an idiot, you moron!"

C

cucu

Also another great tool is ringcentral.com. This is a cloud based phone system that gives your customer a "big company" feel when the call you. It would take pages to describe what this system does but it is definitely worth looking into. They have a phone app integration, auto receptionist, call transfer, call forwarding, ring me, message to email, the list goes on and on. They have answering rules for what ever hours and days you specify...it gives you the functionality of phone systems the used to cost $10K plus for a little as $40 a month...simply a no brainer.

Tracking calls etc yes very importent. but the BIG COMPANY FEEL i dont think as important

in the last few years i think there has been a swing away from box companys over to o/o companys that give a better service and commitment to its custys
In our case we market ours is a family biz etc and it pays well for us

Kipp

Name
kip
I could've probably phrased that better what I'm really talking about is when somebody calls they don't feel like they are calling some guy at his house on his personal cell phone. A properly set up phone system and professional answering technique will give your customers the sense of trust and add value to your company's perceived value.

C

cucu

$1KaDay said:
I could've probably phrased that better what I'm really talking about is when somebody calls they don't feel like they are calling some guy at his house on his personal cell phone. A properly set up phone system and professional answering technique will give your customers the sense of trust and add value to your company's perceived value.

Why you gotta go and put porky under the bus like that.....

S

sam miller

Mikey P said:
those Yelp results are skewed...
lots of the folks will say Google or website when they reall mean Yelp, they have no idea where they are reading my reviews.

Kip is right though....like my father always use to tell me, "Don't be an idiot, you moron!"

Your Daddy told You that too??? I've seen Jimmy naked

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
$1KaDay said:
These are good options to know. I have my doubts how beneficial they are for the small, high quality O/O company.

One good tool I found for tracking my calls from different sources was hostednumbers.com (I am sure there are many others, that' just the one I used) This service allowed me to have custom numbers and assign them to different advertising sources.

So each separate advertisement has a different phone number?

With the auto receptionist you can screen calls and only have the calls you want coming through to your phone. for example if I had someone I used to schedule appointments but didn't trust them to close the deal then I could have "press one for a quote" or "press two if you are ready to schedule"...this way I only get the calls that need to be sold and not bothered with calls that just need data entry.

A yes brainer indeed.
Let us qualify whom this service will work for: The inspiring to be a multi truck operator, maybe.

For the O/O or the aspiring to be a high quality, maybe 4 truck or so operation, depending on how it is used, it may scuttle away one of their better and more important differentiating advantages. Which (in addition to other) is handling calls personally, with knowledge, care (that is hard to buy with a monthly fee) a sense of humor (if you got one) and: The real no brainer indeed: The less buttons they have to press to reach you- the better.

A small company trying to look like a big one is throwing away an advantage.
A small company trying not to look hackish, is nice , yet can be achieved via other means that are far more important and genuine.
See, clients are real good at finding when something is different than what it claims to be.

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
Not too sure i want different phone numbers though. Can see the benefit if your service area is big, people might tend to call a prefix similar to their own number.

Vivers

Supportive Member
Name
Bill
Shane Deubell said:
Not too sure i want different phone numbers though. Can see the benefit if your service area is big, people might tend to call a prefix similar to their own number.

So true Shane! You must have local numbers! My wife answers the phone and does the most outstanding job ever. Every client loves her. Hear it all the time. Tracking is important as 1k a day said but for our little 2 van op its easy. Our model is high end quality services by a family owned and operated company that will give you the attention to details and customer service like the old days. I kept our company small for a reason, less headaches, easier to manage, top quality that won't slip. I turn work away constantly and could grow it on a yearly bases if wanted, but I love the groove were in.

joey895

Supportive Member
Name
Joey J.
I'd like to hear more about this, did you use both hostednumbers and ring central in tandem?

I use vonage right now for my business line. I have it ring my cell and full circle simultaneously.

Oh and add my name to the list of those NOT netting 50k. Honestly I'm pretty pathetic. I have no idea how to go out and get business. Repeats, referrals and Google reviews are my only source of business. Don't get me wrong my business is growing but its growing at a snails pace. I had a 5% increase last year and I'm up about 15% so far this year. I real concerned that this Google change is going to really burn me if I don't figure out some additional sources for business.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Kipp

Name
kip
Vivers said:
Shane Deubell said:

So true Shane! You must have local numbers! My wife answers the phone and does the most outstanding job ever. Every client loves her. Hear it all the time. Tracking is important as 1k a day said but for our little 2 van op its easy. Our model is high end quality services by a family owned and operated company that will give you the attention to details and customer service like the old days. I kept our company small for a reason, less headaches, easier to manage, top quality that won't slip. I turn work away constantly and could grow it on a yearly bases if wanted, but I love the groove were in.

FYI you can choose local, 800, or vanity numbers(local or 800)

Kipp

Name
kip
joey895 said:
I'd like to hear more about this, did you use both hostednumbers and ring central in tandem?

I use vonage right now for my business line. I have it ring my cell and full circle simultaneously.

Oh and add my name to the list of those NOT netting 50k. Honestly I'm pretty pathetic. I have no idea how to go out and get business. Repeats, referrals and Google reviews are my only source of business. Don't get me wrong my business is growing but its growing at a snails pace. I had a 5% increase last year and I'm up about 15% so far this year. I real concerned that this Google change is going to really burn me if I don't figure out some additional sources for business.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Yes, but you don't need hosted if you don't need multiple tracking numbers...ring central is just putting your business phone on steroids...you can do as much or little as you want... Lots of benefits to having your system cloud based instead of analog

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom