Something a little different.

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
Aged cat urine in a wool carpet in a rental. Another cleaner already had a go... asked me to look at it as well. I said no but I'll do a repair if you like.

This was in an entrance way and the door showing above was to the hallway. Even in an open position, the staining showed... and smelled!! I replaced the smoothedge and underlay as well.

Before.
IMG_7959.jpg

Cut out. Cam shift style carpet. Straight lines will show if you cut tufts.
IMG_7960.jpg

Old and new piece.
IMG_7961.jpg

After.
IMG_7963.jpg

Straight down.
IMG_7965.jpg

Total repair time including packing up 45 minutes. Doing the cuts I did, barely took any more time than if I'd grabbed a straight edge and hacked it out. Because once it was cut, it sat straight in there without any messing around trying to tidy things up.

John

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
John, Did you just use a sharp knife and straight edge to cut the piece out? What your trick to getting such clean edges when cutting from the top?

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
I use an awl to open the rows first adn foremost. In fact, I usually quickly 'chalk out' my repair, then open the rows for basically the whole repair then I usually grab this baby and cut away.
10-147_0.jpg

For the ends/edges close to walls etc, grab a paint scraper/putty blade type tool about 3" wide and use that as a mini straight edge and then use a really sharp utility knife CAREFULLY. Or simply pull out the duck bills and snip away.

Always work to the side you want so ou don't end up with wide butt edges underneath that will hold it open.

You can trim carefully later, but it's better to cut it right the first time.

I cut that whole new piece out free hand and only had to adjust 1 side. I needed to take an additional row off a short section.

At the end of the day, it's just practice!! and lots of it.

John

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
Thanks John, I need more practice. My biggest problem is separating the rows with the awl and them keeping them apart enough to make a good cut.

D Rice

Name
Doug Rice
Shawn, I'm not an expert but I think you need something wider than an awl to open the rows. I use a row running tool or a crochet needle. Maybe someone with more experience will give some advice.

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
My awl is blunt on the end and I find it great to use.

I do run the same row 3-5 times and that'll often help seperate the fibres.

You'll always find the odd job that no matter what, it won't show clearly.

John

very nice. a job to be proud of.

I faced a monster urine job.

spoke to a couple of my betters and recommend ripping out the soak, treating floor and putting in new.

Hope I get the job but if not it beat coming back and back and back cuz the odor is still there.

best monday night ever

visit my blog, "the carpet cleaner's crocodile." a great collection of short stories about carpet cleaning

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom