Spot Coloring with Crayolas

B&BGaryC

Name
B&BGaryC
How come I take candle wax out with an iron and solvents (Not at the same time) and an iron will set crayola wax?

harryhides

Name
Tony
B&BGaryC said:
How come I take candle wax out with an iron and solvents (Not at the same time) and an iron will set crayola wax?

Candle wax is not the same as crayon "wax".
Besides if you keep using an iron to remove colored wax stains you WILL permanently set the color on one - it's only a matter of time. That is why I never use an iron on wax unless it has no color.

Just try it Gary, get some scraps of carpet and some crayon and do you own testing.

steve frasier

Supportive Member
Name
steve frasier
I have a light red, really faint in color, customer set it, on a light beige cut pile nylon

what would be the first step in color

I can get the red to a brown but I have no clue on how to get the brown to a more suitable beige color or a closer match, the stain looks a lot like a picture in one of Tony's other posts

I played around with the crayons on her carpet but rinsed it out because I wasn't happy with the match

any help is appreciated, thanks

B&BGaryC

Name
B&BGaryC
harryhides said:
B&BGaryC said:

Candle wax is not the same as crayon "wax".
Besides if you keep using an iron to remove colored wax stains you WILL permanently set the color on one - it's only a matter of time. That is why I never use an iron on wax unless it has no color.

Just try it Gary, get some scraps of carpet and some crayon and do you own testing.

What should I use to get out wax? I figured dumping solvent on it and ripping out carpet fibers was the hack way... So I started using an iron and only some very small amounts of solvent to finish it up. Got a big wax job tomorrow, a whole candle got knocked off a candle warmer onto a olefin carpet... Cheep stuff, I am afraid of melting or delaminiting.

harryhides

Name
Tony
steve frasier said:
I have a light red, really faint in color, customer set it, on a light beige cut pile nylon
what would be the first step in color

I can get the red to a brown but I have no clue on how to get the brown to a more suitable beige color or a closer match, the stain looks a lot like a picture in one of Tony's other posts

I played around with the crayons on her carpet but rinsed it out because I wasn't happy with the match
any help is appreciated, thanks

Steve, green kills red and makes brown - the darkness of the brown is related to how dark the red is in the first place. Once you have beige you can then lighten it with white or silver. Best to practice this stuff when at home.

Good luck.

harryhides

Name
Tony
B&BGaryC said:
What should I use to get out wax? I figured dumping solvent on it and ripping out carpet fibers was the hack way... So I started using an iron and only some very small amounts of solvent to finish it up. Got a big wax job tomorrow, a whole candle got knocked off a candle warmer onto a olefin carpet... Cheep stuff, I am afraid of melting or delaminiting.

Gary, if it is large start by cutting off as much as possible with you knapping shears on the flat. Then with your shears in the vertical position break up any large chunks and break off as many pieces as you can. Only then when all you have left is what's buried in the face fibers use a gelled product like Citrus Solve as John suggested.

steve frasier

Supportive Member
Name
steve frasier
Thanks Harry

I have been practicing at home, I have a dye kit with some directions

one day I will get to Mike fest to learn from guys like you who have much more knowledge then I do

Thank You

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom