spot keeps coming back

bmas

Hey guys I have this job that i did about 2 months ago, a old berber carpet in a large sun room. I have been back 5 times to try to get a reaccuring light brown spot out. I have tried everything but the same spot comes back in the same place about 1 or 2 days after i leave. The customer is very nice and thats why i want so much to solve this problem. She says the carpet is about 20 years old and has never been cleaned. She is very happy with how the rest of the carpet looks. Could it be the padding.
I am open to any suggestions
thanks
Brad M

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Is secondary backing jute?
If so- browning.
You can use acids (browning perscription) for it.

Also one of the Haitian cotton formulas.
Fast drying (even with hair dryer if needed) will help.

Also, what exactly have you tried?

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
You did not provide all the details, but based on the usual suspects, my next step would be to apply Encapuguard Green and brush that in or use another quality encap product.

This eliminates concern over a spill that is down in the pad or jute fiber backing causing browning.

You might also consider the source of the stain. Is it possible a new stain in the same location? Maybe he spills his coffee there everyday.

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
my bet: Olefin Berber, Cofee spill. and lots of it. the very nature of coffee will penetrate olefin right down to the padding every time.

Anything spilled in heavy dosage on an olefin can create a wicking situation if not cleaned up right away. If you want to cover it up, encap it. But if you want to remove it you need to find out what product is removing the spot and as long as its water based, saturate it and water claw the spot to remove the contamination. then force dry and enap the spot if anything else comes up.

Also fellas.. Unless its wool. 20 year old carpet would put it around 1990. Mills stopped using Jute back around the 1970'x and maybe a year or two in the 80's. Most jute or natural fiber today is going to be found in woven goods, and specielty mills.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
A recurring spot can be anything that will bleed color as the carpet dries. You should be able to spread the nap and look (might need magnification for a clear look) to see what's causing the problem. Any liquid spill will show at the base and on the top of the backing, and you might be surprised to see a quantity of potting soil or other dry particulate packed into the problem area.

Hiding the spot or using bleach should be last resorts.

Name
R.J. Povio
You say the berber carpet is in a sun porch. Is that room heated????....porches if not heated can take forever to dry. Drying is especially important with berber! Some porches are on concrete slabs(even harder to heat/dry). Def would vac the shit out of the carpet or tell custy to do it. Use a browning/tannin soultion (low PH acid). Just spray and rub spots with white towel. They spray again. If you have already rinsed the spots with an acid rinse or haition cotton chemical do NOT clean the spots anymore with HWE. Just use the white rag and browning and that should do it. Actually cleaning browning spots seems to make them come back more often. Using the rag is almost like post padding the carpet, plus it dries faster! I hope this helps!

Willy P

Name
Willy P
HOST it. In my years, prespray,then HOST worked in and left to dry works like a charm.

encapman

Name
Rick Gelinas
Here's a simple way to fix it... Mix up a strong solution of Encap-HydrOx (mix 3 oz of Encap-HydrOx with 9 oz of hot water). Apply the solution sparingly with a terrycloth towel. Massage the fiber gently so that you don't distort the fiber. You will probably want to use up all of the solution on a small spot. Don' just wet the spot. Wet it and blot it. Continue the process - wipe and blot, wipe and blot, wipe and blot. Then place a fan on the spot to speed dry the remaining moisture. This technique normally work wonders on most recurring spots - especially if it's a browner. The concentrated encap polymer will capture the recurring residue, and the hydrogen peroxide will correct the browning.

Link to Encap-HydrOx
http://www.excellent-supply.com/Rel...tion-Carpet-Cleaning-Products-Encap_p_63.html

TimP

I think we all need to know what his definition of trying everything is.

If it's olefin, it's probably a wicking issue.

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
yeah... we haven't exactly heard back yet all the details!

But dang if we don't love throwing alot of different things at the wall and seeing what sticks! :mrgreen:

Opie Cleaner

Try Peroxcellent, from Vacaway, and a terry towell. Blot spot and leave it dry.

If that doesn't work tell her you'll try something new when she has it cleaned again in 20 years :lol:

bmas

Thanks for the help guys. I will be seeing the customer this week and will let you know the outcome
Brad

steve g

Name
steve garrett
what if its caused by something oily like say salad dressing?? we just don't have enough details to go on.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
sweendogg said:
yeah... we haven't exactly heard back yet all the details!

But dang if we don't love throwing alot of different things at the wall and seeing what sticks! :mrgreen:
David,
What if he Tefloned the wall?
Nothing will stick :p

John Olson

Name
John Olson
All these "big brains" and most want him to clean the surface Ivebeensold Identify what was spilled then break out the water claw as use the proper chemical to break down what the spill was and flush it out. Using an encap will only hide the problem until you HWE it again.

You need to remove it not hide it!

Name
I'm Rick James
genesiscarpet said:
You may use chemicals for the spot and make sure you are using some effective ways to remove the spots..Anyway, if you ried everything and it seems like it's not working, you can seek help from professional. http://genesiscarpet.bmbnow.com/..

Using chemicals and an effective way to remove the spot...is that the professional advice? Kinda vauge.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom