Sprayer Batteries dying

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
Been using an OmniPro. I used to prespray uph and then apply protector but the battery dies before I finish, sometimes before I'm even done prespraying. I can't trust it to apply protector to a whole house on one charge. Its plugged in and charging after each use. Changed the battery earlier this year because I could only get about 5 minutes use out of the orig one. The guy told me to only charge it for a day or so then unplug it, and even then the new one has limited life, can't even spray Two gallons let alone 60!

anyone else having this challenge?

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
Major bummer. How much is that thing, $500? That is the main reason I stay with my 20 y/o Hydroforce. It just always works.

boazcan

Name
Bryan C
Yep, had to buy a new battery after about a year.

I do not have a charger set up in the box so I have to charge during each job from the cab cig lighter. It has been ok, but recently died in the middle of job for me also. Took it home and charged all night and it was ok for the next 2 days. No way can ever get 60 hours out of a charge. Maybe 10.

My bigger complaint is that damn spray gun. Went through one in about 6 months, mainly because I had to run acid cleaner on a very big tile job before I got smart and figured out how to you use a watering can and mop. Anyway, replaced it have not run any acid at all through it and it leaks like crazy after only 4 months. I am over it for sure, 'bout threw it in pond on a job last week.

TimP

They are supposed to last for 60 gallons of water. Preconditioners are thicker and doing upholstery puts a restriction so it wont give you 60 gallons for sure. I can get about a week of cleaning or like 1-2 for you busy guys. I let it charge over night at my house since the vehicle charger didn't last long....but like I said before I had the old style plug.

I don't know what the charging system is like in the sprayers but maybe the charging mechanism needs replacing???? If it even has one as it should have one especially for the price.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Ron;

We service alot of battery powered sprayers.

The most common cause of battery failure is OVERCHARGING.

Check the voltage coming from your charger after a full recharge.

Larry

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
Regarding the claim of spraying "Up to 60 gallons per charge."

I guess that assures you it won't last more than 60 gallons. The manufacturer of the battery provided that figure based on water and a full charge. From my personal experience, 22 - 24 gallons was more realisitc for most presprays.

I think lArry's comment about over-charging is interesting. The battery could have issues if it gets charged to a higher voltage than specified. But manufacturer also indicates that it should be charged between each job and always kept at a full charge.

Scott Warrington

John Watson

I can only speak on my Battery powered Multi Sprayer which uses a 12 volt battery. (I get a 2-3 years per battery and when it starts to die, It hasn't been a problem of dying in the middle of the job since it is almost always charging when not in use)

It is my understanding that it has something in the electronics of it that prevents it from being overcharged and I was told to keep it plugged in whenever it was not in use. I have run a power cord from the back of the van to the front area and plug it into the cigerette lighter when I am not charging the cell phone. Or wire it direct to your fuse pannel

Using this type of charging system is so much more user friendly compared to having to plug into a seperate 120 volt circut in the shop or home to charge the sprayer. In fact I believe John L at Mitey changed the New Mikey Board Boss to charge like this also.

This also would be a determing factor if I replaced to a like or simalar type sprayer. You might pay alittle more but ir will let you finnish your job..

Can't wait till I get my new Boss

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
well, the guy I bought the new battery from mentioned about the over charging, so I would leave the new one plugged in for a few days then turn off the circuit. Its not so much getting 60- or even 25 gallons, I'd be happy just to get 1 complete hours usage!
I was also told that the DC charger won't completely charge the battery, so I'm going to bring it in and put it on my battery charger with a 2amp trickle, and leave that overnight.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Ron Werner said:
I was also told that the DC charger won't completely charge the battery, .

howz come?

our Multi-sprayer has NEVER been on anything but the van ciggy port charger

anyone that buys a sprayer that doesn't charge that way is NUTZ
cause when not in use, they spend their whole life IN the van

..L.T.A.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
Thanks to Jim Martin
He told me to use the AC charger, which I don't have but I have a battery charger. So I trickle charged it at 2AMPS and it topped up the battery. Sprayed 3 houses with it and its still holding a charge.
So, now I'll have 2 sprayers! I'll let y'all know about the Shurflo I bought. I think its still on the bus!

B&BGaryC

Name
B&BGaryC
I usually plug mine in for a weekend, and then use it for a week with no problems and no charging.

boazcan

Name
Bryan C
So, will the wall plug charge it better for longer?

Does the "charger" need to be updated or changed in order to hold or get a better charge?

I charged mine up this weekend, had full charge this morning and by the afternoon it was almost dead. HF is not spraying properly, geez - maybe I will just clean with water.

Anyone want to buy a sprayer........... :wink:

Able 1

Name
Keith
Jim Martin quote:

polarity..is a entire different ball game...it means keeping all the hots and neutrals the same....
for example..have you ever touched a refrigerator with damp hands and got a slight tingle off of it...?
this is because the outlet has been wired backwards..hot on the neutral side and the neutral on the hot side..so the polarity has been reversed...and you became a ground and that is why you get that tingle...
the neutral wire is no more then a ground that completes a circuit...this is called reversed polarity....

here are more fun facts to know and tell all your friends....
if you look and a transformer charger that charges up your battery sprayers you will see that it has a picture of the negative and the positive on it....If your polarity on your outlet is reversed you are not charging you sprayer to is full capability because you are now reversing the D/C charge which is really picky about how they take there charge...same thing happens when you turn the transformer upside down in the outlet... this will even happen in a cigarette lighter in your van if the negative ground is backwards from the positive feed the lighter does not care which wire is which because when you push it in it just goes to ground and is a controlled short....( for a lack of a better way of putting it )......but when you put in a charger and they are backwards...( reversed D/C polarity ) your battery will not charge to it full charge....
this is why when Ron used his charger from the house the polarity was correct and he has a entire different sprayer that will now hold a charge.....

boazcan

Name
Bryan C
Able 1 said:
Jim Martin quote:

polarity..is a entire different ball game...it means keeping all the hots and neutrals the same....
for example..have you ever touched a refrigerator with damp hands and got a slight tingle off of it...?
this is because the outlet has been wired backwards..hot on the neutral side and the neutral on the hot side..so the polarity has been reversed...and you became a ground and that is why you get that tingle...
the neutral wire is no more then a ground that completes a circuit...this is called reversed polarity....

here are more fun facts to know and tell all your friends....
if you look and a transformer charger that charges up your battery sprayers you will see that it has a picture of the negative and the positive on it....If your polarity on your outlet is reversed you are not charging you sprayer to is full capability because you are now reversing the D/C charge which is really picky about how they take there charge...same thing happens when you turn the transformer upside down in the outlet... this will even happen in a cigarette lighter in your van if the negative ground is backwards from the positive feed the lighter does not care which wire is which because when you push it in it just goes to ground and is a controlled short....( for a lack of a better way of putting it )......but when you put in a charger and they are backwards...( reversed D/C polarity ) your battery will not charge to it full charge....
this is why when Ron used his charger from the house the polarity was correct and he has a entire different sprayer that will now hold a charge.....

Ok, so how do I fix it? Keep in mind, I have a finance degree not anything to do with engineering. Do I simply swith the wires on the battery? Ever since I switched batteries, it has charged terribly. Hail to the power!!

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
You never want to switch the leads on the battery..always keep it positive and negative ........

If your charger was working fine until you replaced the battery then it is probably the battery...
or it was your charger going out ...not the battery.....

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom