Spraying protector on wet carpet is not very beneficial

How can you expect the carpet fibers to absorb the protector if they are already wet. Some people may use an airpath and leave the carpet almost dry. That however is still not the same as applying it to dry carpet. Today I went back to a house I cleaned yesterday to spray protectant and groom the carpet. In my mind I was thinking the protector would work better and adhere to the carpet since the carpet was dry. Am I right or am I wrong?

steve frasier

Supportive Member
Name
steve frasier
some will tell you the protector slides down the fiber

I don't know the answer but most carpet we teflon coat clean easier the next cleaning, they are airpath dried and the fiber usually isn't damp even without the airpath so I feel the teflon is pulled down the top part of the fiber

I can understand the question if the carpet was wet while the coating was applied

Loren Egland

Name
Loren Egland
If memory serves me, the manufacturers of Teflon and Scotchgard give instructions that if the carpet is not wet from cleaning, then you have to double the dilution of water and spray on 1 gallon of diluted protection per 100 sq ft of carpet instead of 1/2 gallon per 100 sq ft.

Name
Shawn Forsythe
Typically, water based protectors are diluted to higher concentrations (less water added) to account for or to "compensate" for the residual moisture of a freshly cleaned carpet, imparting further dilution that approximates the dilution levels as if applied to dried carpet.

edit: Or as Loren worded it, as I was slow to type (had to take a phone call in the middle of posting)

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
there was a protectant that had would reduce the water surface tension to allow it to flow around the fibres. Needs more water when its dry so as to wet the fibres.
Its better to apply to wet carpet.

Chris A

Name
Chris
FCC said:
emilyjohn said:
it will take approximately 2-4 hours for carpet and upholstery to dry after being deep cleaned. To expedite the drying process, you will want to use a fan and increase your air circulation.

a fan? That is crazy talk. You'll blow all the protector off.

and why isn't it:

http://www. chemitwilltake2-4hourstodryafterbeingdeepcleanedorsowehaveheardcausewedon'tactuallyprovideadeepcleanyetstillleavethecarpetaswetasacompetentsteamcleanerwhichwebashinouradvertisingwhileleavingthecarpetjustaswetunlessweuseafanwhichofcourseanycompetentsteamcleanerwouldbutifwetoldyouthatitwouldbehardtoexplaintheworddry.co.uk

guess that would be a little long

LOL FeRd!

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Larry Cobb said:
danielc;

Just use a solvent-based fluorochemical.

It will give the best repellency, anyway.

Larry
And a dose of toxic solvent for your client to breathe to boot!

emilyjohn

:wink: Locking horns is not the way we work - we always offer good advice; dry the carpet out before the protectant is applied.

Fletch

How can you expect the carpet fibers to absorb the protector if they are already wet.

It would seem to me that as the moisture evaporated from within the fibers, the protectant would be drawn in or seal the exterior. There would be no need for protector on the inside if the outside is well protected.

One could say that applying it to a dry carpet could take the protectant to the center of the fibers, potentially failing to adequately coat the exterior, where you really want it anyway!

I'm not going to burn the remaining few brain cells I have left on this one. I will suggest that perhaps the R&D at the companies that make the product actually have tested their juice, and maybe even know what they are doing when they tell us how and when to apply it. Just a thought!

Short Answer - Depends on the protector.

Depends on RTU or Dilutable

Generally - water based protectors apply better to damp carpet.

Solvent based protectors apply better to dry carpet.

However, Solvent based protectors when applied to damp carpet
will decrease the drying times - sometimes dramatically.

2 hour dry times are becoming the accepted norm by
most residential customers.

Michael Vernon
hbccoldpro@aol.com

Greenie

ROFLMAO! Fred is killing me.

Good to see you post Mike, and yes it's good to have some Britt Chem-who posters too.

Since everyone is "steam cleaning" these days....it's liek one big fat dysfunctional family.

Tell me Emily, what machine do you use to extract with?

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
Ron Werner said:
there was a protectant that had would reduce the water surface tension to allow it to flow around the fibres. Needs more water when its dry so as to wet the fibres.
Its better to apply to wet carpet.

surface tension

DANG..Mr Werner is finally right about sumthin'..........

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Michael Vernon said:
Generally - water based protectors apply better to damp carpet.

Solvent based protectors apply better to dry carpet.

However, Solvent based protectors when applied to damp carpet
will decrease the drying times - sometimes dramatically.

2 hour dry times are becoming the accepted norm by
most residential customers.

Michael Vernon

Mike;

Not correct ; Solvent-based protectors work very well on dry or damp carpet.
Solvent-based protectors displace the moisture on damp carpet.

That is how they achieve shorter drying times.

Larry

P.S. Harry H. tested quite a few of the protectors.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom