SS history~

Mikey P

Administrator
The vast Stanley Steemer organization of today is the end result of an enterprise started by one man. A man who dreamed big, valued hard work and never feared adversity. A man named Jack Bates, who, in 1947, founded a small carpet cleaning company called Jack Bates Carpet Cleaning out of his own home in Columbus, Ohio. As the company expanded, first in Ohio and then beyond, Jack changed the name to Stanley Steemer, in reference to the first steam-driven automobile. In the 50+ years since then, Stanley Steemer has become the number one name in the industry coast-to-coast by delivering the exceptional quality work and unparalleled customer service that has been the hallmark of the company from the very beginning.

1947 Jack Bates, Stanley Steemer founder, opens one-man carpet cleaning business

1970 First prototype of steam cleaning machine is developed, called the Stanley I

1972 The company officially incorporates, becoming Stanley Steemer International, Inc.

1976 The Stanley Steemer Research & Development department launches an innovative truck-mounted, dual-wand cleaning machine

1984 Stanley Steemer experiences unprecedented growth, featuring 215 franchises and 14 branches in 38 states
1985 Wesley C. Bates, son of founder Jack Bates, assumes the helm of the organization, being named President and CEO

1986 Stanley Steemer breaks ground on a brand new 50,000 square foot manufacturing facility

1988 Total sales volume is $102,700,000, surpassing the $100 million sales goal set in 1983

1998 Air Duct Cleaning service is introduced in select markets

1998 Success magazine ranks Stanley Steemer as the 3rd best franchise in America in its Franchise Gold 100
1999 The company adds its second major service line extension, new carpet sales and installation

2000 Stanley Steemer launches its first national network television advertising campaign, becoming the first carpet cleaning company in America to do so

2001 The service line continues to expand when the company adds Tile & Grout Cleaning

2002 1-800-STEEMER is introduced. The number routes customers from any point in the US to their local Stanley Steemer operation

2002 Stanley Steemer again breaks ground in the industry when it introduces online scheduling through its website, stanleysteemer.com

2003 Total system sales top $300 million

2005 The company’s “Living Brings It In. We Take It Out.” is honored with a Silver Effie from the New York American Marketing Association for its creative achievement and dramatic business results

Scott Rogers

Steve Thompson, the owner of the largest Stanley franchise is Jacks step son. He was originally sent to be head of operations of the west coast for branch operations. He ended up taking ownership of the San Diego franchise, it is truly the jewel of all the franchise's.

The Catella group (sp?) are the largest franchise owners owning current or in the past franchises from New York to Texas with their most profitable and I believe largest being the Atlanta franchise.

Scott Rogers

I can tell you some stories.

I was at a convention in Columbus I think 93-94 and Wes gets up on the stage and starts yelling at the franchise owners saying how if they dont increase revenue their franchise would be in his sights, and crap like that.

They did take a friend of mines franchise away here in Georgia. His territory is around Fort Benning and since the war business was in the toilet. They took his franchise and resold it.

I can also tell you , Steve Thompson used to have a add in the back of a well known cleaning magazine to sell Stanley Steemer wand when it was strictly against policy. I heard there where a few issues between big brother Wes and Steve. LOL

I can also tell about how the screwed over Wes Navorak and Simon Blake to make room for a weasel in corporate management. This weasel's family owned a number of franchises the largest being Los Angeles. I cant remember his last name though.

I got lots of stories though.

billyeadon

Supportive Member
Name
Bill Yeadon
SS

Also in the early days John Downey III father of Cleanfax founder JMDowney IV were quite close.

John could probably fill us in much better.

harryhides

Name
Tony
its certainly a whole lot more interesting than reading FIFTEEN THOUSAND DUMB ASSED POSTS !!

SS

Stanley in Upstate New York Sucks...there a bunch of hacks that they probaly pick up at day labor...they charge a lot and do a shitty job...we clean up after them all the time...i thought they all were a joke...

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
Why would you get into a franchise??? any franchise for that matter...

pay a % of your hard earned cash...

buncha lazy bums

G

cu said:
....but where is hitler in all this when i saw ss i was thinking war stories

I sed the same thing!!

BUT I THANk You MikEy "Pail-et tu,Brute?" for this most informative historical post.

This made my my day!!

NO SHIt!!!!

2007-Introduced "Hardwood floor refinishing." Dustless at that.

Like it or not. we all are peons when it comes to what they have accomplished! :eek:

Jose Smith

I can also tell about how the screwed over Wes Navorak and Simon Blake to make room for a weasel in corporate management.

Wes Dvorak and Simon Blake are among several former SS guys that now run Sears Carpet & Upholstery Cleaning.

Jose Smith

DUSTY

ED

ED York told me a story about SS

He said that they came to some of his early conventions before the franchised.

Told me that to sell franchises they put ads in the local Columbus newspaper in the business section that said something like:

"Retire in Florida wealthy."

Of coarse they ran this ad in the cold winter and it got lots of attention and the rest is history.

Ed told me plenty of industry story's like this before he passed.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom