Stain Magic verses H2O2/amonia

Farenheit251

Doing rentals I go through lots of peroxide. Using Stain Magic all the time would get pricey. But when its a mystery brown stain in a conspicuous area like the middle of the fam room I wonder if I shouldnt be pulling out the stain magic. If it is indeed better? Anyone compared results? I intend to but it will involve going back to houses to check results and that not always convenient.

T

The Magician

Good post Captain. I go thru alot of stain magic and am thinking about doing the same. Mikey is the King of peroxide so maybe he will chrime in.

Name
Lee Stockwell
To match CTI's product you need to boost the ammonia side with a little sodium hydroxide (lye). I prefer Red Devil powder, two tablespoons per quart of ammonia. The combination has a shelf life in excess of the peroxide side.

Put the boosted ammonia in one spray bottle and the h2O2 in another spray bottle.

Give credit to Steve Smith of VacAway fame for first bringing this recipe to the boards ten years ago.

Thanks,
Lee

Farenheit251

I picked up some Red Devil but after reading the warnings it scared the bejesus out of me. Not something I felt comfortable post spraying and leaving. I have boosted my amonia with HM Blitz(ph 12) and it seemed to help.

I sell a powdered h2o2 that will take out 98% of the stains that stain magic will. It only cost around .35/ gal rtu. I use it everyday in my business. Orangeforce 2.

harryhides

Name
Tony
When comparing the 2 products or mixtures keep in mind that unless you know the date of manufacture of the Stain Magic along with the purity of your own Peroxide you may get confusing results.

Concentrated ( 35% ) Peroxide in its original container and stored in a cool dark place will in my experience keep it's strength for a year or more.
Dilute it down to 9 % in a used container ( even if you have rinsed it out several times ) and especially when stored in a moving and warm to hot van will not be any good after a week to ten days. So either mix in a new dark container and use distilled water only or mix small quantities and throw out whatever you don't use every week.

Stain Magic is a superior product to the home made brew but only if it's fresh.
Do you know how long it was stored at the point of manufacture, how long it's been on the shelf at your suppliers ?

Fresh home brew is better than old SM.
Fresh SM is better than fresh home brew, imo

Greenie

You don't "need" that much ammonia in the mix.

Save yourself some choke factor and dilute the ammonia mix by half or better with pure water, then add a spoon of lye.

Most stains that the mix works on, the PEROXIDE works by it's self too, it just works faster with the catalyst.

Prochem Urine Rescue is a hydrogen peroxide based solution.

Prochem Red One is a one part reducing agent that contains sodium bisulfite, sodium hydrosulfite, ammonium hydroxide, and dipropylene glycol methyl ether.

Mixing these two together should make a great stain magic solution, or am I wrong.

Ron K

Tony I agree why don't manufacturers put shelf life or experation dates on their Chemicals or do they just want to sell what ever they make. Sam Adams has a sell by date and it's never let me down.

Brian just said do not mix urine rescue and red one together. I am trying to find something that I can mix with urine rescue that closely matches stain magic. Jim Martin says any protein stain remover will work. I didn't think protein stain removers contained ammonia in them. I will give it a try though.

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
Just curious......what do you do when you encounter a problem in the custys home with your own "home brew"? What if you mix causes property damage and/or health problems with your custy??

I'll stick with the chems on the market with proven manufacturers....well, maybe some fels naptha.

I called prochem and talked to someone in their chemical department. The lady told me you really should never mix chems for the obvious reasons. However most cleaners will do it anyway. She said mixing red one and urine rescue would release a white smoke that is harmful so don't do it.

I asked her about mixing 40 vol peroxide with my prespray and she said it doesn't do anything because in 30 seconds the peroxide is gone after being applied. She said it may give a confidence boost but it isn't doing anything to clean carpet. Go figure.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
danielc said:
I called prochem and talked to someone in their chemical department. The lady told me you really should never mix chems for the obvious reasons. However most cleaners will do it anyway. She said mixing red one and urine rescue would release a white smoke that is harmful so don't do it.

I asked her about mixing 40 vol peroxide with my prespray and she said it doesn't do anything because in 30 seconds the peroxide is gone after being applied. She said it may give a confidence boost but it isn't doing anything to clean carpet. Go figure.

protein stain remover mixed 50/50 with urine stain remove is noting but stain magic...more stable and longer shelf life......

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
rwcarpet said:
Just curious......what do you do when you encounter a problem in the custys home with your own "home brew"? What if you mix causes property damage and/or health problems with your custy??

I'll stick with the chems on the market with proven manufacturers....well, maybe some fels naptha.

I just mentioned this because a CC'er in town here just settled a lawsuit that was brought on him by a customer that claimed eye damage from his chems. The chem manufacturer assisted him in court, and the suit was dismissed. I'm not sure that every chem manufacturer would help you out in a suit, but I'd like to have some evidence of a chem make-up if I had to go to court.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Peroxide formulations need to be stabilized for a longer shelf life.

They also need an ingredient to even out the oxidizing reaction.

These ingredients should give more consistent results.

Some commercial formulations are cost competitive with "beauty salon" peroxides.

Larry

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
Captain Cleantastic said:
Red Devil is now illegal here. Meth heads were using it to cook.
Greenie said:
Save yourself some choke factor and dilute the ammonia mix by half or better with pure water, then add a spoon of lye.

For those that may be interested, Roebic heavy-duty crystal drain opener is 100% sodium hydroxide (lye) and is available at Lowes (and hopefully elswhere too):

roebic.jpg

Johnny

Supportive Member
Name
Johnny
I picked up a quart of one-part CTI Stain 1 a couple weeks ago to try. Seems to work as well as Stain Magic. The distributor sez it has a longer shelf life.

I had a real challenge for it a few days ago, and it did the job.

Loren Egland

Name
Loren Egland
protein stain remover mixed 50/50 with urine stain remove is noting but stain magic...more stable and longer shelf life......[/quote]

I often mix CTI Urine Stain Remover with Steam Way 501 spotter if I don't use Stain Magic. Seems to work.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom