Stain ZONE

Bucey

Name
FFA?
I got a call from a cust where i used stain zone to reduce a spill. she said that the stain was gone but now it had a pink ring around the area. What could this be residue? any suggestion. im going there tomorrow and check it out.

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
i recently tested it on a piece of cotton upholstery. I poured it heavy on the colored and white area and saw almost no change. It didn't even remove the color slightly. I also tried it on a wool rug with almost no color loss. Maybe the bottle wasn't any good.yours sounds like color loss but if the rug was nylon I'd doubt it. i have tried it on lots of different nylon with no color distortion, yet that is.

gene

Bucey

Name
FFA?
just reg nylon, I cleaned this after another cleaner in the area clean and left the spots. When I left the house every thing looked good did a post walk thru with the owner and saw no probs. Calls me today with issues. blk streak in bonus room where there was no prob at all. a soda spill wicked back a bit. no surprise and then this other stain. Im afraid they may be trying to make me inherit their rental problems. After all its their issue.

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
Kinda sounds like it might be your problem. The pink ring wasn't there to begin with was it? I've tried Stain Zone without much luck.

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
Hard to tell much for sure third hand with no photos, but I would look for
1) Interactions with some spoting product she may have used previously
2) Something that wicked up from the backing or under carpet. I have seen color from the backing of the carpet, from the pad, from Jell-o, Kool-Aid, various candy powders and such all wick pink to the surface that was not rpeviously visible before cleaning
3) If an older carpet, depending on the color, pink could be a color loss issue.

If you don't have sucess in identifying or correcting the issue, send me some clear photos close-up and whole room view.

steampro

Name
Ryan
Mist some acid rinse on it. I used OSR on a few spots once and they turned out great but the customer called the next day and said the spots turned pink. So I called the manufacturer and they said mist some acid rinse on it and rake it in and within a few minutes it disappeared.

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
miksar said:
Could someone please put a product name to acid rinse
Fab-Set (Try at around 4 ounces to a gallon) or citric acid (1 cup to 1 1/2 cups per gallon) is avialable from several sources. You can even mix both.

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
Speaking of chemistry fun.... I had a fun little stain caused by some moisture... O2 cleaned, but the orange/ yellow remained, tried some small spotters but knew I had to work a little advance spotting. Got the oxidizer out first.. turned it RED! Acid side spotter, back to yellow, reduced it and turned it brighter yellow.. ok acid rinse again, then quick dried it... Gone... I felt a little like a mad scientist. All I can figure is that the water stain was a result of the moisture interacting with a rubber exercise mat and as a result of the time and lord only knows how many voc's/ chemical reactions took place, it reacted with the indicator dyes in the carpet.

Scott or Shawn... or anyone who may have a lead, manufactures always say that certain carpets have pH indicator Dyes. Yet we as a retailer have never seen any product info indicating whether a carpet does or does not. It would seem like there is not a whole lot of information readily available to talk about these specific dyes from a chemistry standpoint. Yet it seems like these problems occur regularly and always seems to result in carpet mystery's. While alot of us know about and understand enough to correct the problems. It still seems to be a weak link in the industry knowledge base.

Bucey

Name
FFA?
have pic from the stains just dont know how to put them here? Ivebeensold what happened was the stain or beverage wicked back around the treated previous stain treatment. soooo I just sprits some stainzone around the wick back and poof there it was gone! Thats Doug for your smart $#% remark! Really helped me solve the prob. Just reminds me of the type of people I used to get advice form in my other career. they know every thing but just have jack ass things to say. Brilliant folks really!

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
sweendogg said:
Speaking of chemistry fun.... I had a fun little stain caused by some moisture... O2 cleaned, but the orange/ yellow remained, tried some small spotters but knew I had to work a little advance spotting. Got the oxidizer out first.. turned it RED! Acid side spotter, back to yellow, reduced it and turned it brighter yellow.. ok acid rinse again, then quick dried it... Gone... I felt a little like a mad scientist. All I can figure is that the water stain was a result of the moisture interacting with a rubber exercise mat and as a result of the time and lord only knows how many voc's/ chemical reactions took place, it reacted with the indicator dyes in the carpet.

Scott or Shawn... or anyone who may have a lead, manufactures always say that certain carpets have pH indicator Dyes. Yet we as a retailer have never seen any product info indicating whether a carpet does or does not. It would seem like there is not a whole lot of information readily available to talk about these specific dyes from a chemistry standpoint. Yet it seems like these problems occur regularly and always seems to result in carpet mystery's. While alot of us know about and understand enough to correct the problems. It still seems to be a weak link in the industry knowledge base.

While carpet cleaners have long used the term "indicator dye" the manufacturing industry and the chemists who make carpet dyes don't care for the term. It is technically inaccurate.

The majority of dyes used for nylon carpet are acid dyes. They are applied under acid conditions and are most stable in an acidic or neutral environment.

Manufacturers or dye chemists would never intentionally select a dye that they knew would change colors. (Designers on the other hand... J/K) But every once in a while a dye would show up that became unstable when the pH moved away from its normal slightly acidic state. Because the result was similar to true indicator dyes used to coat pH paper strips.

This actually happened to a lot of carpet back in the 1960s and '70s. It is not nearly as common with newer carpet. The mills learned to test for this before using a dye on a lot of carpet. Since they feel they address the problem before the carpet gets into the retail store or someone's home, the mills don't see much reason to discuss it publicly.

So, the problem is rare on new carpet, sometimes seen on older carpet. Upholstery fabric manufacturers do not seem to be so thorough in testing for this phenomenon as carpet manufacturers. So, you may see it more often on upholstery.

Also rather rare, but sometimes is the result of a chemical reaction from various cleaning agent being used one after the other without rinsing in between. So you can see it if Mrs. Jones has used everything under the kitchen sink on it before you got there.

Alexarz

I strongly suspect that she used lots of chemicals. Oxyclean seems to make purple stains when homeowners use it and Resolve is notorious for leaving pink and bleached out yellow stains.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom