Starting a new business in carpet cleaning and needs help

N

NJ104

Hello to everyone
As I was a teenager my father got a job in the cleaning industry working for service m.... (not sure if you are allowed to say the company name) I work there while I was in high school and some between breaks in college. At first I didn't like it, then later on I got used to it. I ended up working with another company and that is where I was introduced to carpet cleaning. It was way harder than just regular maintenance but I ended getting used that too. I am now unemployed and for a while was thinking of starting my own carpet business, my father has offered to buy me a machine and I started to take IICRC certification classes in fact I took one class a couple of months ago and passed. I am not that new to cleaning carpet's but I am new to business I am not like my father who came here from a foreign country without a high school diploma and starts a successful burger and cheese steak shop, in other words I am not business savvy I need some advice on how to start this. Right now my father is willing to buy me either a us product cobra 500 or a ninja warrior. I just need some guidance on what to do, where to start, what method of carpet cleaning should I focus on etc.... I was recommended to this forum by the instructor of the IICRC carpet cleaning technician class, so I know that you all can guide me in the right direction.

joeynbgky

Supportive Member
Name
Joey
Re: Starting a new business in carpet cleaning and needs hel

Welcome! It is very nice of your father to do that for you! what kind of truckmount are you going to buy? You will find lots of answers here! Without this board, I would be in trouble!

Who was your instructor at your carpet class? Don't be scared, its not hard to run a business if you are the only employee. Relax, it will get easier...... since you are unemployed, you may need a part time job to get this business started. It takes time to get customers, get advertising in place...... So be patient and good luck!

K

Kabluey

Dont jump into it just yet. Lay a good foundation buy pre-planning, creating a business and marketing plan. Dont think of yourself as a carpet cleaner, but a business owner that owns a business. Creating a good image is the most important thing besides quality. Its not hard cleaning carpet, just get a used TM, maybe one you can work on and a good looking newer van.

Now I save the best for last, go buy this book and read it before you take any steps.

http://www.amazon.com/E-Myth-Revisited- ... 0887307280

adamh

Supportive Member
Name
Adam Hale

The only way to start is with a new V/AT and a Wizard package. That and several *** CDs will put you on the fast track to millions!!!!

Anything else will leave you bankrupt in less than a year. shiteatinggrin shiteatinggrin shiteatinggrin

Erik

Supportive Member
Name
Erik

AdamHale said:
The only way to start is with a new V/AT and a Wizard package. That and several *** CDs will put you on the fast track to millions!!!!

Anything else will leave you bankrupt in less than a year. shiteatinggrin shiteatinggrin shiteatinggrin

He should cssh in his 401K :roll: HE WOULD SAVE ALOT IN CLEANING THE SUB SHOP !gotcha!

"GO BIG OR GO HOME" Bud Cross
Adam is J/K shiteatinggrin Look into Judson for a TM a potable will get you to 1st base mabe to 2nd, I hope u get a Home run. The more power in your unit the better.

Name
Ron lippold

Thanks to Shawn Y and Mikey p. I got the Vortex, the greates image maker in the industry. Big payment, big truck and a fantastic business decision. I did not cash in my 401k either........ :shock: :shock:

Thanks shawn and mike

Captain Morgan

Supportive Member
Name
Bill Morgan

Welcome Juan,

All inside jokes about buying Vortex/Aero Tech systems aside I would make a business plan as suggested to help define and focus your business and goals. Continue getting as much training you can.. "knowledge is good".

What system to buy? That's a more difficult question to answer. First question to answer is what type of market are you going to concentrate on? Condo and high rise apartments would be perfect for a portable. However, residental homes, commercial accounts, you might find that a portable wouldn't be big enough and might demand a truckmount but that's not a hard and fast rule. There are some portable and larger electric system manufacturers that make systems capable of handling those types of accounts.. see the Savage Beast and Nordic1.

That said, which portable? The ones you've mentioned are good and there are others too. Mytee makes very good portable systems as well. Depends on if you heat or not, low vs high pressure, how many vacuums, 1 electrical cord or 2. Maybe you know all about this already so I apologize if that's the case. There are a lot of options, do your homework!

Starting small and working your way up (to a truckmount) is fine.. lots of guys have started that way and some run several trucks with portables. BigMike comes to mind. At the same time, a lot of guys start with portables and outgrow them quickly and wish they started with a truckmount. So the knife cuts both ways. If we knew more about your ideas for your business we can offer more specific advice.

Use the Search feature here... LOTS and LOTS of information, discussions (sometimes heated) on a variety of subjects you are looking for answers on. If you've thought of a question, it's been asked on here. If you can't find it, ask again.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom