Status quo has to go...going to speak up at Connections?

LisaWagnerCRS

Name
Lisa Wagner
Wondering if anyone is planning on sharing "views/comments" with either CRI or IICRC at their booths at Connections?

Sometimes people are loud on a forum, and quiet in person.

Or...they just think it's pointless and not worth even trying.

Or...maybe both are truly irrelevant at this point, and not worth the effort.

Or...since neither CRI nor IICRC have spoken up at all to ANY of the points raised - they are just hoping if they ignore cleaners long enough they can keep their "machine" in action and last longer than our attention span.

What do you think?

I had someone throw the "but they are all just volunteers trying to help consumers" phrase at me the other day as a reason to not criticize.

I know there are some good people involved in these organizations.

I also know there are some making a sweet living off of these organizations also.

In fact, I laid out how I would profit from a non-profit if I wanted to make it my career:

http://realdirtoncri.wordpress.com/2010/08/04/back-door-deals/

I had a few "role models" to base that scenario on. =)

Here's the latest FloorTalk interview with Kevin Stark. Part 2 talks about his opinion of the CRI testing process - some good stuff.

http://www.talkfloor.com/interviews.aspx

Hope to see a few of you in Vegas. If you want water balloons for the CRI or IICRC booths, let me know, and I'll bring some. And if you are low-moisture... I'll bring some real dirt instead to toss.

Lisa

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
ASK NOT WHAT THE I.I.C.R.C. CAN DO FOR YOU ??

ASK WHAT HAVE THEY DONE FOR YOU ??

Especially if you are / were a certified firm.

Where does the money go, that honest, hard working carpet cleaners pay to the I.I.C.R.C. ??

SOA, maybe they should consider calling it SSOA, Sorry State Of Affairs

CRI, how about Credibilty Remains Incredible

My trumpet is broken, can I borrow some balloons to blow. shiteatinggrin

Ooroo,

shiteatinggrin

Askal

RIP
Name
Al
I have paid my dues for may years but this crap is just too much. I may have to vote with my checkbook when the bill comes due. I have always thought it was great in case of a legal challenge to be in good standing and certified or to promote myself as such but the benefits are getting a little thin to pay 300 bucks a year.
Al
PS Yes I will voice my opinion in a clear loud voice at connections. They don't buy my beer so I owe them nothing.

Name
Noble Carpet Cleaners
Lisa I voiced my opinion a couple years ago refusing to pay any ongoing fees when there was nothing in return for my money. I was specifically demanding some recurrent training. Fell on deaf ears. And where’s the logic in requiring me to attend all the training over again to gain back my standing in each discipline? Mailing a check in order to keep a skills card in my wallet is a bit silly to say the least.

My lack of appreciation for the IICRC goes much deeper then the fees. The curriculum was insultingly outdated. Two out of three of my instructors had obvious conflicting interest in teaching the course. One in particular had absolutely no shame in soliciting his outside business and was so skilled at using the learning situation that I myself fell into his plan and purchased some of his material on a break.

By far the biggest reason I will never renew, retake or attend for the first time any other IICRC course is the complete lack of consumer knowledge of these certifications. The IICRC could go through a complete transformation and become as legitimate as other trades in our country and the public would still have a complete lack of knowledge or appreciation for any cleaning certifications. A transformation is about 40-50 years too late.

How many factions and splintered groups of thought can any industry take? The cleaning industry certainly leads the pack in this way and when all has been said and done we are all still left to our individual business paths. There’s no governing authority nationwide or statewide that has ever picked up the pieces of this self proclaimed industry and recognized its legitimacy.
Sadly for my own enjoyment I have never attended a carpet cleaning convention. If I do it will be for the equipment and any short seminars. I would pass by an IICRC booth as I would a jewelry booth and sportsman show and give it no thought at all. For me, they’ve made their bed.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Lisa;

I have let the CRI know from the start .....

that the XRF gun was a poor choice.

Most of the challenge in cleaning a carpet is in the sticky oil and grease,

that attaches the particles to the fibers.

I was thinking of whipped cream :twisted:

Larry Cobb
Cobb Carpet Supply

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Spoke up in the past and got a shrug, because they'd just go behind closed doors and tell each other how great they were. Today they have to be keeping score of how many angry people there really are out here and realize how badly they misjudged carpet cleaners.

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
The Great Oz said:
Spoke up in the past and got a shrug, because they'd just go behind closed doors and tell each other how great they were. Today they have to be keeping score of how many angry people there really are out here and realize how badly they misjudged carpet cleaners.

Bryan, may I be so bold as to say, not JUST carpet cleaners, also but upholstery, Oriental rug, water, fire & smoke damage restorers, odor control technician, & the whole gammut of those that they profess to do training for.

The ground swell, I believe is rising, and getting to a stage where they can no longer afford to ignore us, lest it be at their own peril.

The only thing that can save them IF THEY DO NOT ALTER THEIR WAYS DRASTICALLY AND IMMEDIATELY, will be the complacency shown by many carpet cleaners and others in our industry, that are prepared accept sub standard training and donate to those with deep pockets and short arms in the hierarchy.

Next week, I may well say what I really feel. blowme

Ooroo,

:evil:

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
You really have to remember who we are dealing with CRI.

It consists of ALL the important carpet mills.

Shaw started the ball rolling for better cleaning chemicals,

when they found many of the janitorial carpet chemicals ineffective.

That was a good start.

Somehow the commitee got off-track with the NASA gun, and only dry particles for soiling.

They just need a better system for testing "real carpet soil" with oil and grease,
to put Truckmounts back where they belong (Shaw found that in their testing).

We need to voice our displeasure ....,
and insure that they come up with better testing procedures.

Larry

C

cucu

i only know the crap carpet that i get to clean every day ....and the quality of the carpet is crap
maybe they should police themselves first

we was doing just fine before them

LisaWagnerCRS

Name
Lisa Wagner
Do you think CRI or IICRC leaders will be used as examples of heroes?

I've seen so many of them give each other these industry awards year after year... when Howie W. got one a few years ago then I really knew they were running out of people... but it's cool that setting up cruises and making money with the non-profits can get you an award too - way cool!

The CFI sent out a Connections offer the other day... and it accidentally had this graphic at the top of it (I'm sure it was a mistake...)
HERO.jpg

But... I laughed anyway...

Lisa

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
Iwish I could be there for when he speaks. Someone needs to confront him IN PUBLIC where he can't just pass the buck to one of his subordinates and tell them to follow up. He did that to me twice in person and once online. He needs to be cornered.

If you do confront him, watch if he doesn't say something like "Yes, we're looking into that or That's a good comment. I'll have [name of assistant] look into that and get back to you."
This man would give Obama a run for politics, but good grief, could you see this man as president of any country??? Look at the mess he's making as just prez of CRI!!

randy

Name
Randy
I owned a security business for 10 years and think extra security was very wise. I have talked with many cleaners that are outraged by what is happening and several are frankly ticking time bombs. When you screw with people & their livelihoods long enough, sooner or latter some poor, deranged sole will take a shot at you. During strikes people get gunned down all the time and the press just allows big business to cover it up. Frankly it wouldn't surprise me that much if someone walked up to the Adolf Hitler of CRI at Connections and pumped a few bullets into him. Sad when things go that route, but when you are setting up a system to strategically steal from lots of people, you almost have to expect it. If it happens, it won't be when a bunch of rent a cops are around to save the Fuhrer. Pretty easy to get to the guy if someone really wants to go that route. I bet there 400-500 cleaners at Connections that carry everyday. When you consider the volatile emotions of some, extra security is a good thing. If things keep heading as they are the IICRC & CRI is going to need a huge, never ending budget for security.

Then again, John Hinckley proved that even the best of security is inadequate when someone needs to impress Jody Foster. :roll:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom