steam genie drag wand

Louis

Supportive Member
Name
Louis
So I'm looking at one that I found on Craig's list. How well do they work? It's only $200
I just did a school and all of the back lines were a Pita. It would be nice not to fell like Gumby after a large job. Some day I will get a zipper but have a few other things on the wish list first.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
i threw my Genie drag wand in the trash....it only cleans one side of the carpet fibre.......and jus heavy enough to be a PITA!

Name
Brad Gouveia
I would like to get one, but I would like it more for rugs than for real cleaning. You need a rotary for big jobs.

Dragging a drag and is still hard work, not much easier than wanding.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Gezzz bawb all you have to do is pull from the wall back. Weight, if needed you can use a lead bar if you must have the weight. Glue some carpet on the bottom so it doesn't scratch it up and rided quietly. Plus Pigsnot loves that I put carpet on everything.

Louis is that the one with the spare spray bar &handle? I'd be a little concerned about the valve.

We use one in our rug dept periodically. It flushes really well.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
look here madman...if you don raise the wand and spray the edge...the edges will look lik crap

AND yor STILL only doin one side per pass......biggest PITA i ever seen

Reactions: GCCLee

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Louis that looks like its in very good shape for its age, its not the one I saw on Ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/carpet-clea...h=item41837633f8&ssPageName=RSS:B:SHOP:US:101

I would still check on the valve and see if its in working shape. We had to retro fit ours with new valves, there is room in the handle frame to do so but it will be the expense of a valve if it not working.

Bawb just like you "crack" your wand, you lift the drag wand lips up at the carpets edge, spray and then set the wand down to make a seal.

Mang, I cleaned with one of those for many years, mostly commercial. We even had a 24-inch model.

Last edited by a moderator:

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
Doc...i know you covet one so bad....
so i wuz jus givin' you a hard time..i never threw it in the trash at all.......

i cut it up an' used the lead wt fo fishing sinkers........

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
:eekk:

Man I loved those things back in the day! I think we still have 4 of them but I think only one works. Two need new valves one need the spray bar welded it has a pin hole. We use don't have a need for them.... yet.

How did Jules say it in Pulp Fiction?

This was my "Bad Mofo" in the 70's

24dw_zps47dd1ddb.jpg

Louis

Supportive Member
Name
Louis
would this work on large empty homes? Don't have too many large commercial jobs anymore. Only do about 4 or 5 big commercial jobs a year.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Sure Louis, it work on all carpet. If you can get used to just pulling back and keep from tripping on your hoses it can be effective cleaning. Due to the weight it dries faster than a scrub wand. On bad spots or spills you can stay in one spot and just flush till it comes up clear from the tube. We would take a bar of lead and use it for extra weight if the carpet were very dense.

The negative is you don't get the agitation. Moderate to Soiled carpets are going to need prep work, Grandi Brush, CRB, 175, Cimex something to allow your precondition to breakup the soil allow you to flush the carpet.

If you buy it and really don't like it, I'll buy it from you for $250.00 plus freight. Provided the valve works.

Louis

Supportive Member
Name
Louis
would this work on large empty homes? Don't have too many large commercial jobs anymore. Only do about 4 or 5 big commercial jobs a year.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni

sure they will
res too

I used one for years
still have one in working condition, though it hasn't been on the van in years.
I retrofitted a more common/less expensive valve in mine...not hard to do if you're mechanical

drag wands have advantages and disadvantages

advantages
, they're pretty idiot proof as long as you let off the trigger before you stop (and don't leave puddles at the end of stroke)

The weight makes them great for berbers with raised patterns (that give many guys problems)

work well (better/easier/more maneuverable than a wand) in tight quarters like traffic lns in sm bed rooms, closets, etc

16" head can cover a lot of restate with less fatigue

disadvantages ;
no scrubbing action (no "chop stroke" ability) like can easily be done with wand ....you'll be spotting more cause you can't chop stroke a lot of spots out like you can with a wand

Heavier in and out of van..i think my SG drag wand (16" head) weighs around 55 pounds

Can't do steps with 'em

..L.T.A.

Louis

Supportive Member
Name
Louis
I will look at it in a few hours. I'm going to hook it up and play. I might have a chunk of carpet to play with. I'm dragging this morning. Got in at 1am from hanging out in Monterey all day.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Louis

Supportive Member
Name
Louis
Well I own a drag wand now. I was surprised to see 01 jets on it. They need to be cleaned. Also thought it would be a 2 inch hose.
Tested it on some carpet and was surprised at how dry it was.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
It came from a different era, back then Hydramaster & Steam Genie were the big names and the sold their units with a 25-whip of 1.5. It wasn't until Prochem standardized 2-inch by selling it with their units.

For no more than you paid it should give you some great options. It's no Zipper and the Interlink drag wand looks like a great the did a great job of updating the drag tool. However for $200.00 I think you got more than your money's worth.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom