Steam Genie--need some tech help

jmrich

I just got this project truck from Craigslist. This is a bit of a project...

http://picasaweb.google.com/Jmrich67/St ... directlink

It has a 24 hp Onan. I've been getting lots of help from Shawn Forsythe over the phone but still have lots of things to work out.
Things I've done:
replaced head gasket
installed some heli coils in engine case to replace striped head bolts
tuned engine--plugs, oil, filter,etc
engine compression around 120psi on each cylinder
Did some operating tests and have some questions

Questions:
1.I'm not sure what the bypass tool is used for? or how to use it? It's the tool I'm holding in my hand in the pic.

2.I fired up the propane heater for the first time yesterday. It won't stay lit for more than 5-7 minutes at full throttle, then shuts off. I then have a difficult time lighting the pilot. Water gets HOT! I have about 1/3 tank of propane. Do I need a new gas valve? I have no idea on how to diagnose but am reading up on it. I ordered a new 2 stage regulator from the Little Giant manufacturer. The old one is covered w/mud as it's tucked under the back left corner of the truck.

3. I have several vacuum leaks:
*at vacuum tank, the lid and tank itself need seals but I don't know where to get them. The corner of the tank is missing the seal. Also, the middle section of the tank has no seal at all. Should I place new seals there too?
*at the tank lid at the 90* elbow. Anyone know where I can get the seal for this elbow? Should I put a 2.5" on it?
*at the blower and 90* elbow junction. the pvc wobbles on the blower. what should I use to seal the threads when I re-tighten. Or is there a better solution to this leak?

4. The vacuum relief spring is not working too good. The mercury gauge looks original so not sure how accurate it is. If I hold the relief spring w/my hand I can get a max of 11.5-12" of mercury at 2600 rpms. The motor also drops rpms to around 2300 or so. I've read about the Kunkles and was curious if this would help? Or a Bayco? I also saw this valve on Cobbs site: http://ccs5.com/zen/index.php?main_page ... ts_id=3657
The blower is a Sutorbilt 4LL and I will be mostly using unit single wand (Zipper).

5. Hose reels: This thing came w/the vac reel shown in the picture. It's way too wide and taking up space. I'd like to get a live reel if this 4LL blower can handle it. I'd also like to get a solution reel and a water supply reel. The live water reel will probably go on one of the back doors and the solution reel will probably be mounted on the new vac reel. I'm thinking of a 200ft live Rokan reel. Any suggestions on placement of solution reel or brand? If you happen to be interested in the reel in the truck let me know.

6. Blower/engine coupler- does anyone know where I can get one and how do I change it out?

7. Carpet Wand and Stair tool--I have an evolution (small one) that I used w/my portable. Can I use it with this machine till I get the $$ for a replacement? If so what jet sizes would you rec (2 jets)? I plan on doing hiflow cleaning with this setup and I plan on use the Zipper. I will be getting the Zipper before I get a different wand if possible. The stair tool is just a single jet and I need to take it apart. It feels pretty comfortable and I hope I don't have to replace it.

8. What modifications (or suggestions), if any, would you make to this unit to make it perform better (within reason)? I plan on getting and updated vac relief valve so far (Kunkle, Bayco, or Cobb valve).

9. CFM's: Lastly, I did a crude cfm check w/an an anemometer. This tool measures Ft/min, not cfm but looks alot like the cfm tools used. With a quick calculation I can calculate cfms. What is the expected cfms of this unit at the waste tank? I have the motor set at 2600 rpms which was suggested by Shawn Forsythe.

Thanks for your help.
James Richardson
http://www.squeakycleananddry.com/

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
James I emailed you more pictures of your unit that I took.

Welcome aboard.

jmrich

Leslie Judson Jones said:
look at this video and do the maintenance on your heater.

viewtopic.php?f=103&t=40279

Thanks Les,
The guy I purchased the unit from said the heater was taken apart because of freezing. It was welded with silver solder and the burner was cleaned. I was hoping I didn't have to take it apart but I'll definitely do it if it'll help. Also, I did have the system up to 600 psi so the weld job must have worked.

That looks very similar to my hydracat. Do the maintenance like Les shows in his video, should solve your heater problem. Looks like you got allot of work to do, can't wait to see how it turns out! Keep us posted.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom