Steam Way 900 Porty...

Outnumbered

Is the old version of the 900 Ultramatic the same internals as the new rotocast version? I have a chance to pick up an old style 900 that is about 3-4 years old to use as a back-up for my truck mount. Guy says it has 30 hours on it. The price is right at $650. Or am I better off getting a new Mytee for a few extra bucks? The Steam Way 900 is $5k new :shock:

Thanks

DavidVB

I've had 2 of them for over 13 years. I don't use them a lot anymore, but I have never had any problems with them. I think 650.00 is a steal if you have a use for it.

Outnumbered

DavidVB said:
I've had 2 of them for over 13 years. I don't use them a lot anymore, but I have never had any problems with them. I think 650.00 is a steal if you have a use for it.

Thanks for the reply. I picked up a 10 year old Steam Way 4100 that is going to be my primary unit. Since it is older, I want to have a strong porty as a back-up just in case. What kind of pressure and vacuum do you get from yours? I hear the 900 is pretty impressive. Also, do these older units have the auto pump-out and fill?

randy

Name
Randy
It's a great unit if you won't be going up more than a few steps. In a townhouse where you may have 15 steps to get in the front door, forget it.

DavidVB

Yes they have auto fill and auto dump. The auto dump uses a shurflo pump so they need to be maintained but they will work well if kept clean. They also have a chemical metering system.

They are rated to about 600 psi, but will likely go higher if the pump and the system is in good shape. It uses 3 2 stage vac motors. They are not the standard 2 stage though. They have a higher rating. At 50 ft the vac is good. We have used 100 ft often on commercial with good success.

They are heavy. We never used ours on residential. It takes 2 men to lift it into a van or a ramp is needed. It also takes 2 full circuits to run it and if they are 15 amp circuits you have to turn the vac motors on 1 at a time and let them settle in a second. I always used mine on commercial where the circuits are 20 amp.

By the way, I wouldn't sell mine for less than 2,000.00. 650.00 is a steal.

Outnumbered

DavidVB said:
Yes they have auto fill and auto dump. The auto dump uses a shurflo pump so they need to be maintained but they will work well if kept clean. They also have a chemical metering system.

They are rated to about 600 psi, but will likely go higher if the pump and the system is in good shape. It uses 3 2 stage vac motors. They are not the standard 2 stage though. They have a higher rating. At 50 ft the vac is good. We have used 100 ft often on commercial with good success.

They are heavy. We never used ours on residential. It takes 2 men to lift it into a van or a ramp is needed. It also takes 2 full circuits to run it and if they are 15 amp circuits you have to turn the vac motors on 1 at a time and let them settle in a second. I always used mine on commercial where the circuits are 20 amp.

By the way, I wouldn't sell mine for less than 2,000.00. 650.00 is a steal.

Thanks for the info.

Loren Egland

Name
Loren Egland
One of my son in laws started his business with a 900. He put it in an Aerostar minivan along with a propane heater on a cart. He rarely took it out of his van. He could usually use 100 foot of hose and do most houses that way. Basically he ran it as an electric truck mount.

Loren

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom