Steamin Demon

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
You people that have them, how are they for taking upstairs??

Are the rear wheels of a suitable size to allow them to be wheeled up easily, similar to a trolley ?

Or do they have to be carried up?

Thanks.

Shorty.

WISE

Probably easier just to pick it up and carry it... I have the 20" and it is pretty light. But to be honest, I have not carried it upstairs before. We keep our hoses, filter bags, fittings, etc. in duffel bags; those are more of a pain than the machine, IMO.

WISE

Rob Lyon

Name
Rob Lyon
Same Comments as Wise, and the 20" machine is a real money maker.
It is also great a a second system, that we have out most of the time.

WISE

I have 150' of hoses. I don't have any exact production numbers...I will check it out. We did 26,000 sf with it in Jan...Cimex putting down the juice and extracting behind it with the Demon...I'll see what the guys had down for hours on that job. No the Demon was not keeping up with the mex. I will say once you get it set up you can cover some ground. First time on an account, getting the logistics straight, getting a plan on where to hook up and how to move through the building....Second time and forward, you got all that figured out and productivity/$/hr going forward is much better.

WISE

Rambo

Shorty, you will want the 20" machine. Hose sets come in 50' lengths. Machine is light, around 34 lbs. 1 set of hose comes with the machine, and additional 100' should cover all your needs. The 20"XL can be pulled or pushed depending on how you set the handle. I would equate the speed as the same as a truck mount wand. You will be taking a bigger swipe (20" vs. 12 or 14" wand) but you will have to go a little slower. I will agree that the hose sets are more cumbersome than the machine it's self. Excellent back-up to any truckmount or can be used as a stand alone.

Stevea

For the fear of someone thinking I am just trying to sell something, I will put this little clip of the SD in use on a job. It is a great little machine but one still needs to properly remove dry soil, suspend the soil and then flush with the SD. It's volume of water flow is what I like. I even used it today for a water damage and it is great for that usage also.

Hope this clip helps ones to see it in action. This is the Classic Unit.

I use this in homes and area rugs and all types of cleaning.

th_SDOperation.jpg

SA

Captain Morgan

Supportive Member
Name
Bill Morgan
Hi Steve,

Looks like the tech was having to tip the demon's back wheels off the floor while he was pulling back? That would get quite tiring, especially at 34 pounds of machine.

I thought these were supposed to have really good vacuum and leave the carpets quite dry. That video makes me think it's necessary to have to tilt the machine and bear down on the front vac slot to get good suction.

I've kicked around the idea of picking up a used one in the past.

Thanks for setting me straight if I'm mistaken. :)

Stevea

Hi Bill,

That is a good observation but it is simply force of my own habit. I have always used drag wands and one always had to pull the wheels up. It is not necessary with the SD but just what I do. It is a fairly easy machine to use and operate and does have a great vacuum. Even if one had to keep the wheels up, it is still easy to use but that is not necessary as already stated.

Hope that makes it a little clearer. When I first got a machine sent to me I let it sit for a couple of months and would not even use it because I thought it was a joke. Then I used it and have come to appreciate its quality. Now I am sold on the unit and use it in my own business as my primary unit. Nothing against truck mounts, used them for 25 years but the current type of homes I work in, the SD is great to use and works very well for me.

My suggestion, try one and see what you think.

SA

Captain Morgan

Supportive Member
Name
Bill Morgan
Thanks Steve for your input. Unfortunately, I'm isolated up here in Maine. No major distributors, Jondon and Interlink supply are close in New Hampshire but don't carry the Demon.

I occasionally look on Ebay and other distributor's used equipment sites but they are selling them for next to new.. and Ebay, well you really don't know what you're getting with them.

Thanks again for responding to my question. To follow up on what Richard asked.. which is a better, easier system the Classic or the Hammer-head shark style Demon II?

All the best!

Stevea

Richard and Bill,

Sorry, been a long day and just trying to get some paperwork together.

They are all good machines but I have been using the Classic for about 7 years and it is the one I am comfortable with. I also like it because it has a cleanable filter system. Mostly it is preference for whoever is using it.

I have not known many who have wanted to get rid of theirs, great little machine.

They are good people to deal with so it has been a positive for me.

I work mostly with women and it is easy enough for them to use without a problem so I am sure it would be easy for guys that have been used to running truck mounts to be able to use.

SA

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
Steve, thanks for all the top notch information you always supply.

I clean a lot of 2 bedroom units, (condo's ?), these are all fully furnished & not a lot of room in the two carpeted bedrooms.

I like the idea of the Xl where you can swing the handle over and work from either end.

But what I am concerned about is how much room I would need & which would be a better suited machine, size wise, the 15" or the 20".

Bear in mind, I currently wheel my Big Yella up to the third level, but I feel that some carpets really do need a good flush and would rather use a SD than my truck mount if possible.

Take care,

Shorty.

WISE

Shorty--

To be clear--the handle can be moved over to allow for push or pull extraction...this is not something you can do mid-cleaning. You have to loosen the two knobs--like set screws--move the handle over and then tighten the knobs back. Granted that takes all of a minute, but is not a swing arm you can throw around mid stroke. I have a glided 20" and have not used it in residential...the classic is probably better for residential--but that is a pure guess...the 20" is low profile and easy to maneuver so it may work just fine.

Rugs after pit washing--not sure why I have not done that yet! We will this weekend though.

WISE

Stevea

Hi Shorty,

Thank you for the kind comments, just trying to share like so many other do here.

I am sure either machine will do a great job for you, the flushing ability on a SD is great. As one who has used the Classic for 7 years and a Cimex for 34 years, I can assure you they will do a great job in combination.

I use my Cimex on every carpet I clean. I pre-spray the carpet after pile lifting and vacuuming and then I use a solution in my Cimex and shower feed it onto the carpet and use Nylon Scrub brushes, this really does a great job of soil suspension. Then I simply flush it out with the SD and then finish it however it is needed. This is a great combination and one I am sure will do a great job for you.

I carry these up and down stairs and use it under all types of conditions and feel I have pretty good success. I am sure you will find this works great and will not need your truck mount for these types of flushing your carpets after they are scrubbed.

I have always used drag wands so it seems simple to me to use. I am sure it will take a little use to get comfortable with but it is a great system to use.

I would be happy with either machine but as I stated my real life constant use is with the Classic and I just do not have the day to day experience with the XL units. As for turning, it is a simple thing to learn to turn a unit and go the other way but this is much more practical to do in a larger open area, small bedrooms would not logically need this type of rotation.

As for a 15 inch or 20 inch, I would definitely use the 15 inch in a setting like you speak about. I have used 16 in and 20 inch drag wands a lot through the years and it takes a large setting to manipulate a 20 inch machine. Commercial it would be great, in a residential setting the 20 inch would be pretty big to move around.

I hope this helps a little and hope it is not confusing. If you can take a 19 inch Cimex upstairs, a SD will be simple to take up. Rarely do I ever have to use over 50 feet of hose on the SD, this makes it easy to use and work with. Like so many other tools we have at our disposal, this is another one that may help. Also, with the price of fuel, it is a nice additional system for most to consider, it will tend to pay for itself in savings, IMO.

Shorty, these are simply my thoughts and beliefs and experiences with the use of these items. I am sharing what I do and I like this set up, it works well for me. I just hope it will be the same for you if you decide to get a SD, I would hate you to get one and not like it.

Take care Shorty.

SA

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom