Steamway HydroKinetic Upholstery Tool

Name
Bill Soukoreff
I want to buy one, but wonder about the future possibility of parts. Anyone know if this tool might be produced by another manufacturer? Seem like too great of a tool to let die.

GRHeacock

It was designed by Ron Toney, and he built the prototype, but I do not know if he actually builds them, or who does.

Anyway, I am sure Ron would continue production, whether Steamway stops or not.

It is an excellent tool, leaves the fabric barely damp, and lots of cleaners love it.

My opinion- there are better tools for less money.

Gary

Name
Bill Soukoreff
Thanks, but I really want the new style.

Gary, I have an internal PMF tool and an older Drimaster. I use a propane flow fired heater and want either a by-pass or higher flow but without over wetting. When it's minus 20C I want to be able to keep the heat up! I also want a trigger.

Considered Kleenrite and CFR, but I like the new glide on the Steamway tool, I think it has the edge over the CFR.

Tile Nerd

Parts are not going to be a problem for Steamway. I think you can buy with confidence. They're not going out of business, they're just re-grouping.

packfancjh

Name
Chris Hagen
As far as the valve goes, it's a PMF valve so rebuild kits for that are plentiful from any PMF distributor.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
I've had the Kleeenrite and Drimaster tools. The SW tool is worth every penny.
Was using it on a large restaurant job cleaning the chairs and the jet started coming loose. Thought something was broke but it was just a loose allanscrew. I like it cause I can run 600psi, full heat, and it leaves the fabric almost dry. And the teflon glide head is wonderful to work with, no snags, easy to move.

Greenie

The Allen set screws allow jet adjustment, but you brought up a good point, a drop of loc-tite would do wonders on that tool.

Captain Morgan

Supportive Member
Name
Bill Morgan
Gary, you say there are better tools than the HydroKinetic and for less money... can you share your secret with us. Being a new cleaner, I'm not as familiar with the various equipment manufacturers as some of you older vets and like anyone, I'm always looking for quality equipment for a good price.

Thanks

Loren Egland

Name
Loren Egland
There are tools for less money, but for cleaning power and gentle touch that leaves fabrics dryer, and are able to have easy control of the solution, I can't think of one that truely compares to the Hydrokinetic. I have not tried the new style drimaster, however, but I don't think you can easily control solution on and off.

I could be wrong, but I think Steam Way still makes the Hydrokinetic tool.

John Olson

Name
John Olson
The Hydrokentic is not going anywhere. You want one you can get one and the parts are readily available. The "Teflon Head" is made by Greenglides and the valve is PMF so the two "wear" items will always be available.

I have my favorite tool but when it comes to fine fabric and drapes nothing beats a HydroKentic.

GRHeacock

"Better" is a matter of opinion, of course.

One thing I take into consideration is comfort in the hand.

For someone who does a lot of furniture- as I did- when standing behind a sofa, cleaning the inside arms and back, the amount of twist on the wrist becomes a major factor for fatigue.

Cleaning the flat of a cushion, for instance, they are all about the same regarding wrist twist.

Cleaning 50 or more office chairs at one time, falls into the same category, and sight divider panels, too. A lot of uph tools are very fatiguing doing these.

Over the years, I had 8 or 9 uph tools. My favorite, taking everything into consideration- comfort, amount of moisture left, light weight, clear plastic head, so soil can be seen being removed, and excess moisture removed, until no more flows, makes it visible, and removes any guesswork whether you actually have it as clean as possible, and as much moisture as possible removed.

And my favorite is the PMF "Dry Technology Tool" internal jet with the clear plastic head, that cost about $90.00.

AAANNNDDD...... there is the different system!!

The Dreaded Makita!!

Lots of upholstery items are lightly soiled, and do not NEED a full on HWE cleaning. Just a freshening up.

That's where the "Dry Cleaning" system comes in. It's quick, low moisture, dries rapidly, and does NOT do a "deep cleaning", just a surface cleaning.

And that's good enough for SOME.

And it cost about $50.00 for the adapter that will fit any 1/4 inch drill motor.

Gary

Greenie

Had Gary's plastic tool, TM heat warped it pretty quick. PMF does make a SS version with a sight window though, if that is your fancy.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom