Steve and Billy.

Mikey P

Administrator
I'll buy you both a Shirley Temple next week if you share with the group here on how to crack the "I'll have to check with my husband" hidden objection..

Please?

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
Well, OK, Mikey, but only since you said "please".

Seriously, I am happy to share this since the old "I'll have to check with my husband and get back to you" hidden objection is so common AND can be overcome so very easily IF you use the exact wording below. (If folks want the entire inspection procedure taken from our SFS class you have two options- attend SFS or e-mail me at stoburen@homefrontsuccess.com and put "inspections" in the subject line. I'll e-mail the whole ten page procedure to you at no charge. If you want the free companion DVD you gotta include your mailing address.) So here goes ...

... the main objection is one that your clients seldom will verbalize. This is price. "Too much. Your prices are too high." Most of your customers will be too embarrassed to come out and say this so instead you'll get the old "Don't schedule anything. I need to check with my husband and we'll get back to you." Give me a break! If you agree and walk meekly away from this home, merrily humming as you anticipate the customer calling to book the job, you're lying to yourself. The chances are 99% that you'll never hear from this customer again. And all of your expense getting to this point, as well as the potential future revenue from this client, will be lost. Tragic.

So, how can you respond in a proactive way to the "I'll have to check with my husband and get back with you" objection? Obviously it would be a poor choice of tactics to say, "What's wrong? Can't you afford my prices?" Of course, that IS the exact problem but who wants to admit they can't afford something? With this response, all you've done is embarrass and antagonize a potential customer.

A tactful and productive response to the "I'll check with my husband" objection is to say, "Mrs. Jones, I understand. I'd appreciate my spouse talking with me before making a big decision. But while I'm here, let me ask you, does the way I have this work order written meet your projected budget?"

Do you see the beauty of this approach? Now in a face-saving way you can ferret out their real objection and deal with it. Yet you keep our pricing credibility when you say, "Does the way I have this written meet your projected budget?" 90% of the time the customer will say, "Well, it is a little more than I was counting on." Wonderful! You now have this "veiled objection" out in the open and can deal with it.

At this point when we're selling a service it's very important to maintain the respect of the customer on our pricing. If you say, "Well, if this amount doesn't meet your budget how about if we knock off $50?" The customer immediately thinks if we'll knock off $50, maybe we'll come down $100. And so it goes. But on the other hand, you want to show your flexibility to change your numbers to meet the customer's budget.

For example, you can look at the work order and say, "Let me ask you, Mrs. Jones, do you move the furniture in the family room much? No? Well, if we don't move the big furniture I can deduct 25% off that room price and that will lower your total bill by $22.88." You get the idea? Instead of both of you tip-toeing around the price problem, it's out in the open and now you're dealing with it as a consultant.

A fascinating point about this concept of lowering your price by deleting small, non-essential parts of your service is that often after you've removed several things the customer will say, "Oh, just go ahead and do it the way you originally wrote it up." All the customer needed was some time and an attitude of care and concern from you. (And the "illusion of control".) And even if they just have you do the smaller amount, wouldn't you rather have half a loaf than none? After all, you've already spent the time and money to get the customer this far in the buying process. Don't let them slide away easily now.

OK, that is it, folks. All you need to do the next time you get hit with the old "let me check with my husband" veiled objection just reply, "Mrs. Jones, I understand. I'd appreciate my spouse talking with me before making a big decision. But while I'm here, let me ask you, does the way I have this work order written meet your projected budget?"

This works like a charm BUT you have to use the exact words above. Try it today and report back to us if it worked.

Island Boy

PS Yeadon will have the Shirley Temple. Lately I'm a Mojito type of guy. BTW, we missed you and Paula last week in Langhorne. I didn't even get over to the Blue Sage Grille.

Mikey P

Administrator
Thanks Steve

I'll give that a shot soon, Im sure

btw, do you lurk while on vacation too?

bill.jpg

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
I just want to know the secret to get Kathy to say that before she buys something!

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
Good one Jim, and I'm afraid there is no answer for that one as it is probably things she wants vs something someone else wants her to have.

:)

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Well said Ken.

To be fair, she isn't nearly as bad as my dear, departed first wife.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom