Steve Marsh's Yelp article

Mikey P

Administrator
YELP.jpg

Have you heard the buzz about social media and how it can be used to market carpet cleaning services?

Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn — to name only a few — have helped to promote many types of businesses.
But, as of yet, the carpet cleaning industry is still looking for a way to profit from them.
One part of social media, however, has already dramatically changed our industry since it sprung up within the last decade. Social review sites such as Yelp and Angie’s List have revolutionized how consumers look for new service companies.
Yelp has the numbers
As a business owner, you cannot afford to ignore this growing social influence. According to Wikipedia, Yelp.com had more than 100 million unique visitors monthly as of January 2013.
Yelp is a free online review site that allows consumers to critique businesses and make their opinions available for the world to see. Consumers have found this to be an empowering opportunity to both promote the companies they like and to trash those with which they have had a bad experience.
Many business owners have expressed disgust with Yelp because of negative reviews that have been posted about their company. Until now, disgruntled customers have had few opportunities to effectively communicate their opinions to the general public. Yelp and the other social review sites have changed all of that.
Companies must now deal with these issues. Unhappy customers can no longer be swept under the carpet, so to speak. Getting upset with Yelp or attempting to ignore this social feedback is not the answer.
Smart marketing requires you to become familiar with social sites like Yelp. These sites can be used to your grow your business. There are more advantages than disadvantages for your company if you use these sites well. Consumers using Yelp are familiar with how the system works.
Are you?
Free opportunities
The first thing to know about Yelp is that it is a free directory. Many consumers find it easier to use Yelp to find service companies rather than search engines such as Google.
Yelp lists the companies that service the area where the consumer is looking. There is a good chance your company is already listed in their directory; if not, be sure to register your company with them.
The more quality information you provide to Yelp, the better your chance of consumers selecting your company. Yelp provides an online form to make it easy to supply your company profile. Be sure this description is well-written and free of grammatical errors.
You are also encouraged to add photographs to your profile. It is a good idea to include your company logo as the first image. Be aware that Yelp uses a square format so if you provide a rectangular-shaped photo, the edges will get cropped off. Include photos of you or your techs actually performing your service.
The photos you choose will influence which consumers will respond to your company. If you want high-end customers, display pictures of you working in nice homes. If you want customers with filthy homes, show pictures of you salvaging grossly abused carpet.
The power of reviews
Yelp is a consumer review site. It makes sense that the more reviews you receive, the better off you will be. Make it a habit to encourage customers to post their thoughts on Yelp and other social review sites. Take the time to thank customers who have made positive comments.
Occasionally, Yelp will filter some of your reviews. Two common reasons a review may be filtered are:
1. If consumers posts only one review
2. They provide only a minimal amount of information about themselves.
Both of these cases can suggest that someone is attempting to manipulate the system.
Yelp and SEO
Yelp can help the search engine optimization (SEO) of your website.
If you include your website address when registering your company, it will be included as a link on their website. Search engines view this favorably and tend to rate your site higher.
Your Yelp profile page can actually become an organic search result when consumers Google for a carpet cleaner. This becomes another good opportunity for customers to find your website.
Oh, no… a bad review?
Even the best companies can get a bad review. It is a good practice to keep an eye on the social review sites to know if there are any negative reviews posted about your company.
Yelp allows you to respond privately to customers who post comments about your company. If you resolve a problem for the customer, they may consider modifying their review.
Take great care if you choose to respond publically to any negative comments. A poorly handled response from you could cause more damage than the original negative review.
Getting more positive reviews is the best way to make up for an unfavorable post. Consumers using review sites are looking for trends more than judging a company based on one negative review.
If you are getting a lot of negative reviews, you may have a real problem that needs your attention.
In this article, I have only mentioned the free Yelp offerings available to business owners. There are paid advertising options also available. If you choose to consider any of those, be sure to investigate carefully and read and understand all of the fine print in the contract.
Review sites such as Yelp are going to continue growing in their influence over consumers’ shopping choices. You can use them to your advantage or ignore them to your peril.
Dealing with customers’ opinions will now need to be considered to be a part of your marketing strategy.
Steve Marsh is the creator of the Be Competition Free Marketing Program. He is a 30-year veteran of the carpet cleaning industry, an IICRC-approved instructor and a Senior Carpet Inspector. Marsh is a marketing and business consultant who provides a turn-key program for attracting better customers. For more information, log on to www.BeCompetitionFree.com.

Chris A

Name
Chris
yeah, here there are some that use it for restaurants, but no carpet cleaners are rated.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
It will get there. Yelp is a publicly traded company and they need to generate an ever growing income source.

It also is a very powerful tool and has good value to the smart consumer and business owner.

If you consistently get reviews and be one of the first one, it will help your business.

Chris A

Name
Chris
Yeah I put their logo on the back of my biz card along with Angies and google, but Angie seems to be the queen of the review sites out here in the Rust Belt right now.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Yeap, Angie or her representative of the month (never twice a call from the same person. They seem to change regularly, which makes one wonder) calls me every two months or so.

I just asked to be put on their do not call list. We'll see.
Also, since they are not cheap, claim to get awesome results and are known to try and get more money through various angels- I ask them if they have a money back guarantee, like we do.

So far their answer has always been- NO.
and so was mine.

Chris A

Name
Chris
I was working with an angies rep a couple weeks ago who was supposed to follow up with me and didn't. I have to wonder if she's still employed there

SteveMarsh

Name
Steve Marsh
It is great to see the Yelp article posted here. For companies that are struggling to find customers, all of the free options of Yelp should be considered. I can't think of any good reasons for not participating.

There is no indication that the growth of Yelp is going to slow down. If you are in an area where it is not yet a strong force for service companies, wouldn't it make sense to get recognized early and claim the top listing?

I found that the more I learned about Yelp, the more ways I can find to make money from it for carpet cleaners.

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
It is great to see the Yelp article posted here. For companies that are struggling to find customers, all of the free options of Yelp should be considered. I can't think of any good reasons for not participating.

There is no indication that the growth of Yelp is going to slow down. If you are in an area where it is not yet a strong force for service companies, wouldn't it make sense to get recognized early and claim the top listing?

I found that the more I learned about Yelp, the more ways I can find to make money from it for carpet cleaners.
EXACTLY. As long as you stay with the free options why would you not do it?

Steve

PS Now if you are so extremely successful you can't devote 15-30 minutes to at least getting started with yelp then I salute your success.

TomKing

Supportive Member
Name
Tom
Yelp is great but no one thing is a silver bullet to your SEO.

SEO dominance is a multi front battle
1. Your site architecture is key to success
2. Social Media interaction has to have a plan and established system for customer interaction.
3. PPC management needs a clear focus and goals
4. Reviews on sites like Yelp, Google and Google plus are another piece to the puzzle.

We started 2 years ago tracking every business directory we are listed on and review sites that have posts about our company. I do not do business with any online services that will not be totally transparent as to what they are doing, how they are doing it and why. I want a service provider that wants to educate me just like I want to educate my customers. If a service provider has a bunch of secrets they are probably a fake.

One thing you cannot due today is focus for weeks on one thing and then move to another. You must be working it all at the same time with the same focus and direction.

I have used several single operator shops and gotten good results in the last 4 years. I believe the landscape is changing and if you are going to be dominate you will need to have a team of folks to help in this key marketing tool.

You are not going to be able to hire some carpet cleaner who read a few blogs and opened up shop to handle this for you.

I had a company call me last week for help and I discovered they had paid $8k for a site that was terrible. The had no idea what they should be doing.

You as a owner must educate yourself on the basics of SEO. You do not have to know everything but you do need to be educated enough so you can ask the right questions when hiring a service SEO firm.

If you still think FACEBOOK is a fad and that you can build your own site because it is your hobby you are doomed.

We think people who rent Rug Doctors are making a mistake and should hire us a professional so why don't we follow our own advice.

Newman

Name
Chris Newman
When I first discovered Yelp I guided my clients to leave reviews on Yelp. Unfortunately since Yelp does not have deep market penetration here in the Midwest the Yelpers on my client list are scarce. It is hard enough to get a client to spend the time to sign up on a site, give away their vital contact info, and leave a nice review. So then I discovered that Yelp filters reviews that are left by non frequent yelp reviewers. :hopeless: This left my hard earned online kudos left by clients on yelp hiding in the backwaters of the Yelp universe. Yes I have only 8 filtered reviews, but that client happiness capitol would have been much better spent elsewhere.

Reactions: Mikey P

Mikey P

Administrator
yeah, it really works great.

They know they have to really be on their game to get a 5 star review.
Polite
Thorough
Clean and tidy
Great results
and all smiles...

I make sure to let them know when a new customer found us through yelp so they can turn it on.

and who knows, sometimes I tell them them that even when they didn't...:winky:

Mikey P

Administrator
like hell...

he made $50 bucks just this week.:rockon:

We finally got back to 5 stars.

"Beca" who left us a bad review wont respond to two years of messages asking her to remove her review for the WRONG company.

Name
Lyon
I ask all my customers to leave a Yelp review, a few do, I'm at 4.5 stars do to an snobby customer that blamed me for ink toner wicking up through her berber carpet. Do you offer your customers $25

Back
Top Bottom