Strange pattern in carpet

Jim Morrison

Name
jim
Cleaned a house last week and came across this strange squiggly line in a bedroom carpet. Can't offer to much detail other than its obviously a cut pile and appeared to repeat itself about 6' away. Had really poor lighting in the room so I couldn't see if it went wall to wall.

Anyone know the meaning of it? Aliens? Kinda makes me think of crop circles.

IMG_5645.jpg

IMG_5646.jpg

Jeremy

Name
Jeremy
Sounds like a question for a carpet inspector? Sorry I can't be of more assistance other than to say call Dale Collins... If he says it's aliens I'll refer you to Dwayne Oxley...

joe harper

Name
joe harper
Looks to me ....that the installer used a serpentine straight edge...

Did the pattern...span the length of the room..?

What was the size of the room..?

Possibly a tufting defect from the mill..?

Hard to tell from the photo.....was there a room partition divider ...leaving a depression..?

TERRIBLE.."blossoming" of the fibers...was is a poly or olefin..!!

Willy P

Name
Willy P
HARPER said:
Looks to me ....that the installer used a serpentine straight edge....

Good call Harp- I used to own one of those. Rarely used the squiggly side. That's got to be an antique.

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
Willy P said:
HARPER said:
Looks to me ....that the installer used a serpentine straight edge....

Good call Harp- I used to own one of those. Rarely used the squiggly side. That's got to be an antique.

Thats the first thing I thought also.

joe harper

Name
joe harper
Hard to tell from photo...BUT..It looks to be a cheap "Berber"..not a cut pile..?

Looks to be a worn..olefin...many installer used the "Serpentine" to hide the seams
the rows were so far off in some goods..it was impossible to hide the seam.. :roll:

Joel D

Name
Joel Darker
not a serpentine straight edge too sharp of angles mine is much more rounded edge

i think its a flaw from mill looks familiar i think ive seen it before machine may have skipped some

i used to use a serpentine with blotchy sculptered carpet like we used to put in trailers alot the blotches didnt have a pattern so if you straight edged a seam and a black blotch came against a white -ouch! so we had to serpentine

joe harper

Name
joe harper
Guys...."Blow-Up"..the photo...That is a continuous filament olefin yarn...It is a BERBER..!

Surely...someone did NOT...remove the salvage edge...prior to installing... :shock:

Looks like a tufting issue... :!:

There will be a EXPERT..along soon.. :D

harryhides

Name
Tony
Jim, that's a high line and you can probably confirm it by seeing if the line is in the lengthwise direction.
This occurs when one tufting needle has been improperly set & comes up too high. It can be sheared down to make it look just fine.
Sometimes this can also occur when a repair is done at the mill with a tufting gun.

Here is an example of one that I saw on an Inspection.

Pritchard2.jpg

Jim Morrison

Name
jim
Thanks Tony, just about looks like the same piece of carpet. The rest of the guys seemed to be running in the crop circle direction :)

Jeremy

Name
Jeremy
If it is determined to be a "Crop Circle" I'd recomend Doodaddy again... He's an expert in t UFo's and Paranormal activities.

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
I belive Harry has nailed this one. A high line was also my first thought. Many tufting machines use a step-over or zig-zag pattern. So, a single needle inserting a single yarn moves back and forth in that pattern.

Motivated

The technical term for that defect is chicken tracks. All of the above are correct on how it occured. I have also been an inspector since 95

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
It boggles me how a piece like that can make its way into the customers home and installed and used for long enough that the cleaner finds it or makes it more apparent. There are too many retailers who never inspect carpet that comes in. Its sad enough that its making it out of the Mills, but it shouldn't make it to the home or business. We hate it when we get a flawed carpet in, throws off the entire week schedule but I'd rather see us catch the flaw than our customers who would have to deal with the process to fix it.

And of course this is why it happens: http://www.ezcut.com/

Its just being to lazy in un roll and inspect a piece or people trying to work out of a small shop so that can make the big bucks in flooring.

Motivated

sweendogg said:
It boggles me how a piece like that can make its way into the customers home and installed and used for long enough that the cleaner finds it or makes it more apparent. There are too many retailers who never inspect carpet that comes in. Its sad enough that its making it out of the Mills, but it shouldn't make it to the home or business. We hate it when we get a flawed carpet in, throws off the entire week schedule but I'd rather see us catch the flaw than our customers who would have to deal with the process to fix it.

Its just being to lazy in un roll and inspect a piece or people trying to work out of a small shop so that can make the big bucks in flooring.

I remember when I toured a mill in Georgia, I was in the final inspection area. The guy that was supposed to be inspecting the carpet was talking to some girl while all the carpet was being rolled up. lol That could stop some of these defects.

Dale

Name
Dale Collins
Hi guys:

This mill defect is corrected in about 10 min with hand shears, and "the mIll has a right to repair". I've clipped many of them. Why not tell the consumer to send the mill a picture, and make a settlment. No Inspector needed, and $$.

Sincerley,
Dale

harryhides

Name
Tony
sweendogg said:

Hey David that Ezy Cut dude is my neighbor !!

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
Tony don't get me wrong, those are great machines for the right use! But a store is still required to inspect the carpet before its cut. And these machines simply do not allow enough area to visually inspect the carpet.

harryhides

Name
Tony
sweendogg said:
Tony don't get me wrong, those are great machines for the right use! But a store is still required to inspect the carpet before its cut. And these machines simply do not allow enough area to visually inspect the carpet.

Understood, David.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Just to clarify, this is a manufacturing flaw. The cutting machine at the retailer didn't the cause the problem, and the store isn't required to inspect carpet.

As Sweenbobb stated earlier:
We hate it when we get a flawed carpet in, throws off the entire week schedule but I'd rather see us catch the flaw than our customers who would have to deal with the process to fix it.
And of course, once the carpet is installed, the retailer is the one that has the moral imperitive to do the legwork to rectify the problem, not dish it to the mill rep to handle.

Erik

Supportive Member
Name
Erik
HARPER said:
Guys...."Blow-Up"..the photo...That is a continuous filament olefin yarn...It is a BERBER..!

Surely...someone did NOT...remove the salvage edge...prior to installing... :shock:

Looks like a tufting issue... :!:

There will be a EXPERT..along soon.. :D
I' with Joe, looks to me like a factory edje. Self installed.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom