Strip a brick floor

Michael Ellis

Name
Michael Ellis
How would you tackle stripping this "wax"? Lady pays $300 every six months, and that's getting old. She told me a tale of it being stripped decades ago with muriatic acid (I presume) since the techs had respirators. Then they put this unknown finish on it. I have an AT and basic tile and grout certification and skills, but this is over my 60-year-old head.
I haven't been on MB for a few days, so "hi" to those I know from ICS and Cleanfax days!

Brick floor.jpg

Mikey P

Administrator
Hey Mike

from the pics it looks great, why does she want it stripped?

Stripping brick is a nightmare and you certainly dont want to use an AT to do so. If the wax gets in the blower, you're out 10k

hogjowl

Idiot™
I spent my first few years stripping ValOil off of brick floors with muriatic acid and wire brushes.
No matter how high you price it
It’s not worth it

Reactions: Mikey P

Kenny Hayes

Name
Kenny Hayes
You could strip it with something similar to Betco Extreme and hi pro pad. But years of finish will be difficult. You can only take it so far. As Mikey said, don’t use your equipment you mentioned.

Michael Ellis

Name
Michael Ellis
Hey Mike

from the pics it looks great, why does she want it stripped?

Stripping brick is a nightmare and you certainly dont want to use an AT to do so. If the wax gets in the blower, you're out 10k
She's fed up with spending $300 every six months for years...I don't see using HWE to do this - I have other tools but am ignorant about what to recommend.
I told her the same - looks great!
The house is killer and her lil' goldmine so??

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
IDK. Does it matter?
If it's acrylic, you can do the traditional method that's done on all the VCT floors. If it's urethane, you'll need to get the stuff that comes in the metal can and is in a gel like form. The vapors are so strong, a plastic sheet will need to lay on top of it for a period of time. And instead of extracting the slurry, you'll need to scrape it up and dispose of it in a sealed bag.

The first step I'd take is testing it to see if it's acrylic with normal floor stripper to see how it reacts

Reactions: Mikey P

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Hmmm. Great looking floor/tired of paying $600 a year to maintain a twenty-plus year old finish. If she wants it stripped off, the every six months guys should be forced to handle that build-up.

If she wants someone else to handle maintenance, I wouldn't even refer someone. This is the Titanic at the dock. Maintain some distance from this disaster.

Michael Ellis

Name
Michael Ellis
Your replies confirm the words I told her, but I had to explore them. I cannot imagine "stripping" such a porous floor except with muriatic acid. I did that last time when I was a kid helping my dad prep the garage floor for VCT.
Yup! Aint touching it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom