Sutorbilt 4LP Noise Problems

Jeremy N

Supportive Member
My blower is screaming/noisy right now.

What do I need to check?

Jay D

Name
Jay D
HOw MaNY HOUrs? Belt dRivEN? Is the belt too lose, too tight? Sometimes belts cause bearings to wear out too soon IF too tight. More info..... :roll:

C

Chris Sheldon

Check your blower exhaust system for a broken hose, broken silencer etc....

jimn

I would check the blower exhaust as well. This is where the majority of the noise comes from. Check to see if there is a hose that connects the blower exhaust, if so it may be lose or busted.

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
definitely check the connection between the blower and the silencer. mine was broken, what a difference once fixed.

Gene

Jeremy N

Supportive Member
Thanks guys. I'll check it out tomorrow.

I has 670 hrs on it and is belt driven.

Jay D

Name
Jay D
If it is'nt a loose silencer or hose to the silencer it may be bad bearings. Have you been greasing the Zerk fittings for the bearings? Sometimes improperly adjusted belts can cause side load problems and fry a bearing. Hopefully not. :|

Jeremy N

Supportive Member
I checked my blower today for oil. When I took the bottom plug out nothing came out. It seems that my oil was gone completely. Then I noticed that the upper plug was completely missing on my blower. I have never noticed any oil leaking or flinging back there.

Anyway, the blower is rattling like crazy. I think I'm screwed. Is it better/cheaper to pull it out and try to replace the bearings or look for a new blower? I'm a broke muther, so go easy on me.

My thought is that there might be gear damage as well but I don't know. When I disconnected the belt and wiggled the shaft the moved some indicating bearing failure at the very least. I wonder if the gears are damaged?

Help.

Jay D

Name
Jay D
Refill your blower with 80/90 gear oil first. There is a plug about 1" above the drain on the bottom. take that out. put in the gear oil on the top until it starts coming out that bottom hole. Now put the plug back in and add just a couple more ounces. Now find a brass plug to put in that hole on top that is missing one. I would drill a small hole thru that new plug for a breather and then put it in. Now its got oil, lube the bearings well and then start it and see if the blower IS SHOT. You may need a new one but check first. Call TCS and see what they want for one. Cobbs got new ones listed for 1687 on there web site. Call me if you want at 214-709-7200.

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
Like Jay said but I would use a synthetic oil. I ran a blower once without oil(not a long time) and it was also loud. I filled it back up and its still running today. Hopefully yours is okay as well. They are really tuff. If its bad you'll have to replace it as it is not a do it yourself repair.

Jeremy N

Supportive Member
I think that the bearings are gone. It rattles pretty loud after filling it with oil. I noticed that at 3100 rpm it seems to be quieter than when it I have it slower or faster.

Will it hurt anything if I just run it while it's making all that noise? I'm thinking that I will shop around for a new one in the mean time and hope that mine will keep ticking for a while longer.

What do you guys think?

Becker

Name
Becker
wow, if you bearings are going out.. or more ot less gone you won't have long and it will get really F'ed up!
Not only that, but a ton more drag on the engine that could cause damage.

When a bearing is out on anything it does not function, at least for long.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom