Take a hard look....

PrimaDonna

Megatron
Name
MB
How many of you think your reputation in your community for being a good/great carpet cleaner is all you need?

I've heard many a cleaner say that they are a "carpet cleaner". They flat out have said that is their specialty and that is all that matters. Their reputation speaks for itself.

Had an interesting call with a potential client yesterday. When I asked how she found us she said through our website. She commented on ours and how professional it looked.

Then she said "If someone has a bad website and can't do that right, what are they going to be like cleaning my carpets? My husband and I just bypassed those companies when we were searching."

People DO think this way!

The argument could be made that I'm a carpet cleaner and that is where I excel, I'm not a web person, marketer etc. But how many potential customers have breezed over you because they thought if you didn't have your sh*t together for a decent website, then you must not be a quality cleaner? Or they see your dirty van with peeling letters at a stop light. What message does this send? (If they don't care to maintain their equipment, then they won't care to do a good job in MY house).

When's the last time you gave thought to how your website, van, facebook page, paperwork/forms, uniforms, tools, etc represent you?

I know many of the folks that hang out here are on top of this stuff.

But we all become complacent over time. Maybe the shoes get a little ratty. The wand has some missing paint, the lettering on the truck is fading or peeling, the photo copy of a photo copy of a photo copy of the form we use is fuzzy and crooked, the website hasn't been updated.

This call was a good reminder. So think about the impression everything you do in your business makes. Where do you have room for improvement?

WillS

Supportive Member
Name
Will
Website is important. I find that first impression of a customer speaking to you over the phone has really been the other. It is easier selling your services when you own the business. Customers always say, I called such and such company and it seemed like the person I talked to didn't want to be bothered with my questions. You took the time to explain, etc...

PrimaDonna

Megatron
Name
MB
I called such and such company and it seemed like the person I talked to didn't want to be bothered with my questions. You took the time to explain, etc...

Yes!

This same woman shared with me that they are planning to rent out this house. It's a townhouse they own and are moving out of to a single home. I shared some of our experiences with being landlords and gave her some things to consider when renting since they were new to it. She was very thankful and said it was helpful information.

You have to listen for those little things. Make mental notes of them and use them as an opportunity to build rapport with customers. We probably talked more about that than we did about the actual cleaning. This is the kind of stuff that makes a difference to people. I was able to reinforce her decision to go with at local family owned company over a chain because I took the time to chat with her instead of keeping it to giving her a price and trying to book the appointment. But, I would have never had that opportunity if she bypassed our website cause she felt it was armature.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
God i remember the good old days when we put fliers on mailboxes....
never had a problem.....and we worked hard at getting customers........now a days yous all jus sit back and wait fo the phone to ring..............

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom