Targeting The Younger Demographic? And How?

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
Now we currently do not track data enough on age, so this is completely in theory and not backed by hard data.

Our buddy greg mentioned in his mf presentation that he targets young professionals, total opposite of what most of the marketers in this industry promote. Makes a pretty good argument that most 30 year olds have yet to decide on their contractors, looking at it over the long term we can create a relationship today and become a lifelong customer. That is a good 30 years or more, in theory...

How do you feel about this?

How would you reach them?

Obvious to me would be
1. Website mobile enabled- internet in general
2. Adwords especially mobile campaigns
3. Coupon mailers is interesting to me, the direct mail campaigns do seem to attract an older customer where the coupon mailers seem to be younger. In same geographic/income area. But i cannot prove that, right now.

Think we should track this better but how? and should we?

billyeadon

Supportive Member
Name
Bill Yeadon
According to a marketing survey done by IICRC in 2008 only 39% of the population had ever had their carpet professionally cleaned. When that was measure at 50+ it was 56%. The way I read that is there is more carpet cleaned by DIY (Rug Doctor) than professionals.

You are much more likely to rent a machine in your 20-30s than you are when you have reached 50. It is nice to reach all age groups but if I had to hit the sweet spot I would say 45+. Remember there are 10,000 Baby Boomers hitting 60 everyday for the next 2 decades.

For the average person reaching their 50s they have become empty nesters and the first thing they do is remodel the kids bedrooms (hoping they won't come back). When they remodel 1 room the rest of the house looks dingy in comparison. I would purchase a mailing list on people who have recently remodeled and market to them.

Let's face it there are people in every demographic that will use our services. I really think you should focus on neighborhoods as opposed to demographics because people if similar demographics and psychographics tend to cluster.

Good discussion.

Mardie

Name
Mardie VanBree
Most of my client are 40 and up. They have heard and seen it all and are educated in how to hire a cc. I think Greg has been reading to many book on how companies like fast food chains market themselves by appealing to the young and turning them into a life time customer. The inexperienced young cc client will more than likely be a price shopper and will hire the cheapest price BUT their expectations will be high. As cc we all know that they cannot have the cheapest price and get the quality they expect. And chances are the only way they will remember you is to make sure they never hire you again. They will go through this process several times until one day they actually do some research and pay a decent price to get their carpet cleaned. Then bingo that is when you get you life time client and all the referrals that go with it.

Reactions: Art Kelley

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
According to a marketing survey done by IICRC in 2008 only 39% of the population had ever had their carpet professionally cleaned. When that was measure at 50+ it was 56%. The way I read that is there is more carpet cleaned by DIY (Rug Doctor) than professionals.

You are much more likely to rent a machine in your 20-30s than you are when you have reached 50. It is nice to reach all age groups but if I had to hit the sweet spot I would say 45+. Remember there are 10,000 Baby Boomers hitting 60 everyday for the next 2 decades.

For the average person reaching their 50s they have become empty nesters and the first thing they do is remodel the kids bedrooms (hoping they won't come back). When they remodel 1 room the rest of the house looks dingy in comparison. I would purchase a mailing list on people who have recently remodeled and market to them.

Let's face it there are people in every demographic that will use our services. I really think you should focus on neighborhoods as opposed to demographics because people if similar demographics and psychographics tend to cluster.

Good discussion.

In same neighborhood don't we want as many as possible?
If so, do,should we change our delivery method?

Back
Top Bottom