Television Commercials??

rhino1

Name
Chris Bolin
TV person sent some info to me. 20 commercials per month, 1 noontime promotional segment per month, web promotion and some other stuff including production costs for $500 per month. This is for our local FOX affiliate in an area of about 150,000.

Would you do it?

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
need more info Chris to give a real opinion., Are the spots going to be ROS except for the noontime spot? How long is the contract? If you want to send the deal to me or communicate privately, pm, email or call me. I do over 250k a year on network tv so am somewhat familiar with how it is priced and some of the tricks they sometimes play.

Askal

RIP
Name
Al
Some laugh at me rather than with me about my radio and tv ads but I'll stick to my opinion: "If they don't remember you it doesn't matter what you had to say". And that goes for repetition too. Get a good commercial and run it into the ground. When people are saying 'Are you going to make a new commercial?' then that means they remembered the one you have. Just one mans opinion JOMO.
Al

joe harper

Name
joe harper
Chris,

Certainly listen to Ken's advice...!

I ran cable advertising 10 years ago ..It was Very effective...!

But as the cable provider grew the RATES got out-of hand.. :(

I was recieving MANY FREE ads..because it was on a ROS formatt..
All of their DEAD AIR was FREE.. :D As they filled those spots..less exposure.

TV ads..are a diffferent type of animal than most advertising...you MUST..
make a financial commitment to run atleast 6 months..NON STOP..!!!
The value to this type of ad is CONSTANT exposure..day in & day out...

They may NOT need your service NOW...but in 6 months..They will remember
your commercial..This type of Advertising will also give your company the apperance
of a FRANCHISE or a national company.."IT IMPLIES..you are very sucessful.. :idea:

I found that the BEST thing you can do in a Media AD..is get a PROFESSIONAL JINGLE...!
This way even when the potiental cleint is not "vewing the commercial" they here your
JINGLE.. :wink:

The MOST sucessful TV ad's...all have a GREAT JINGLE.. :wink: remember the COKE ads.

rhino1

Name
Chris Bolin
Ken Snow said:
need more info Chris to give a real opinion., Are the spots going to be ROS except for the noontime spot? How long is the contract? If you want to send the deal to me or communicate privately, pm, email or call me. I do over 250k a year on network tv so am somewhat familiar with how it is priced and some of the tricks they sometimes play.

Got the info today. .
For $390 per month I would get 30 - 30 second commercials that would air only on the Fox station as follows:

M-F 5am to 8am during the news 6X
M-F 9am to 12pm during Family Feud
Wendy Williams, Peoples Court 6X
M-F 2pm to 5pm Star Trek/5th Grader/
Peoples Court 3X
M-Sat 5pm to 7pm News 1X
M-Sun 9pm to 11pm 1X
M-Sun 11pm to 12am 3X
M-F 1am to 2am News 5X
M-Sun 2am to 5am 5X

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
Ask them if they'll tighten the 5a-8a morning news ads to 6a-8a
Ask them to shift the afternoon rotation spots (2p-5p) to the morning rotation time slot 9a-12n) and they can keep all the spots from 1a-5a.

If they do all this take the deal if you can afford it & commit to 6 months as a test with a 2 week cancel out clause. Start in first week of march so that by the 3rd week you have gotten some frequency & recognition and it will be the start of the "cleaning season".

Kn
Ps They may not agree to all the changes, but if you can get them to do even the first one, tightening up the early morning news that would be good. Otherwise you'll end up being 5a-5:30a most times an almost no one is wathing then.

rhino1

Name
Chris Bolin
Ken Snow said:
Ask them if they'll tighten the 5a-8a morning news ads to 6a-8a
Ask them to shift the afternoon rotation spots (2p-5p) to the morning rotation time slot 9a-12n) and they can keep all the spots from 1a-5a.

If they do all this take the deal if you can afford it & commit to 6 months as a test with a 2 week cancel out clause. Start in first week of march so that by the 3rd week you have gotten some frequency & recognition and it will be the start of the "cleaning season".

Kn
Ps They may not agree to all the hanges, but if you can get them to do even the first one, thightening up the early morning news that would be good. Otherwise you'll end up being 5a-5:30a most times an almost no one is wathing then.

Fortunately I don't have to commit to anything. The deal is for $390/month and I can do it for 1 month or 12 months. They will shoot and produce the commercial on their dime. The commercial is run for 2 weeks, off for 2 weeks, and run again if I choose.

Now my question is what is the catch? Some of the time slots are crappy but if they are doing the commercial on their dime for $390 something is telling me this deal might seem a little too good for the money and I don't know the first thing about TV commercials so I wouldn't know the difference between a good deal and a bad one.

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
I agree it sounds a little too good Chris though I don't know the size of your, market or their viewer levels. I also would be surprised if they don't have a minimum number of months requirement, as like you said they are producing it.

Also I forgot to ask whether these are :10, :15 OR :30 Commercials. If they are 10's then they are very fast to produce and are basically just a quick name and number with some neat in-house graphics and maybe a shot of you oer your equip.

rhino1

Name
Chris Bolin
The spots are 30 seconds. Yeah, I don't get how they are offering this price without a commitment, but they are. They have a thing where if you run it 9 months in the next year they will give you a vacation package at the end of the year.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom