Tell me why I need an Olefin specific pre spray

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
I guess I'm NOT the only one who figured that out.................years ago!

Erik

Supportive Member
Name
Erik
Helps take the yellowing out out from the olefin. This often accurs when the black top ,depeding on the re-seface. What is the extent,of the oil base (yellowing) be sure you are dealing with olefin soak it down. (TRAGIC SLAM)

Erik

Supportive Member
Name
Erik
Send me your recipe. I've always used what works for me now. I NEED TO START THINKING OUTSIDE THE BOX. I'm just a little SLOW!!

steve g

Name
steve garrett
if you are using something strong enough to take out the extra oily nature of olefin you don't need it. most prespray's even my beloved ultra pak are not my first choice for nasty olefin, if its bad enough that when you prespray over your hoses without moving them and you clean it and can see exactly where the hoses laid after cleaning, you need an olefin specific prespray, that is my test if it's needed. if you are using something all the time that is strong enough for olefin, then IMO its not the best choice for residential nylon.

personally I use renovate, because I think its a stronger less diluted form of prochem's olefin preconditioner.

joe harper

Name
joe harper
Mikey P said:
with a straight face..

Because you walked by your computer and saw there had NOT been a post in 30 minutes.

It was all you could think of real FAST to start a DAT..... :wink:

I hope you made it to the restroom in time.... :p

With a straight face.!
Harper...you are welcome..

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Most olefin preconditioners contain fairly unique surfactants that break the oil bond between oily particulates and olefin fibers without the need for solvents that might not easily rinse from the fiber during HWE.

The use of these products limit wicking and resoiling.

Degreasers are often cheaper, but don't always rinse as easily.

Renovate is an extraordinary product. I was involved in its early research and development and consider it to be one of the least understood and most under appreciated products in our market place today.

Brad_Smith

I just thought everybody looked forward to olefins. Yeah the greased down ones take a little longer. But really olefin just seems to release better. I just don't believe in magic anymore.

truckmount girl

1800greenglides
Name
Lisa Smith
Olefin always was my favorite carpet to clean, and the carpet I chose for my own home, which is filled with kids and dogs.

Viva la Olefin!

Take care,
Lisa

CleanEvo

Jim Pemberton said:
Renovate is an extraordinary product. I was involved in its early research and development and consider it to be one of the least understood and most under appreciated products in our market place today.

Can you elaborate on that? As a booster or a stand alone product?

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Renovate was developed back in the 1980's for use as a hard surface cleaning compound that could be used after smoke damage. The idea of using surfactants to remove oily residues without dry solvent additives was to lessen the impact on painted walls and finished wood.

When olefin carpet became popular in the late 80's, Renovate was put into service to deal with the problem of removing oily soils from oil loving olefin without creating further oil bonding issues from certain solvent additives and/or wicking.

Prochem later based their Olefin Preconditioner formula on that product's technology, as have some other manufacturers.

Considering its concentration, Renovate remains a good value for preconditioning olefin carpet, filtration soil removal, as well as its original use as a cleaner that removed smoke and oily soot particulates from paint and finish without causing damage to that finish.

Add the oxygen booster of your choice and it you get reasonably good reduction of yellow staining from asphalt sealer as well.

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
There was a less costly version of renovate that I used to use but I don't think they make it anymore. I know it wasn't WIDE RANGE cleaner but was in that catagory.

It didn't have the thickening agents that RENOVATE had so it was less costly.

A212 Prochem ULTRACLEAN INDUSTRIAL

Name
Shawn Forsythe
Mr. Pemberton pretty much nailed it IMHO,

I would add only one thing. In addition to breaking the oil bond, such that one would not have to resort to then hard to remove solvents, the olefin specific formulation allows the cleaner to break that bond with a lesser amount of water. Using minimum moisture is important to cleaning olefin, such that the potential for wicking is minimized, if you hope to do so without post-padding.

The use of an olefin specific prespray is also best served with the right emulsifier in the rinse process as well. The high performance surfactants evident in olefin presprays often have a high HLB value, in that they are stronger oil emulsifiers than water couplers. Therefore, again to minimize the opportunity for wicking, it's best to select a rinse agent which will move the soil/prespray emulsion AND excess surfactant out of the carpet, with the least water possible during the rinse/extraction phase.

I often pair the olefin prespray with a good rinse product like the ones I mentioned in the preferred acid rinse thread of Jimmy's a few days ago. I know a lot of people really are proponents of post-padding and dropping airmovers on commercial olefin, I and I do think that they are good ideas. However, not everyone has the equipment to do so (or the built-in profit margin to absorb the cost of using enhanced drying methods). If that is the case, then the right combination of chemistry and technique can still work, while avoiding wicking.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Thanks Shawn; I had overlooked (ok, I forgot) the fact that it Renovate removes the oils with less total solution. Stops that "Hose it down now......it wicks up later" problem on some carpets.

Nice to have the kindly professor looking over my shoulder.

Jimmy: Ultraclean Industrial was designed for the guys that would rather have a more dilute product in the hands of their techs, as its difficult for some to imagine that 1-3 ounces of anything can clean anything, especially in fire restoration. It was discontinued do to low sales.

I no longer "bleed Prochem Blue" like I did back in the 70's, 80's and early 90's, but I still love Renovate.

steve g

Name
steve garrett
so olefin releases soil well, have you guys cleaned many carpets?? olefin berbers in homes are easy to clean I grant that, I can paint them, the problem arises in commercial settings like an office building or warehouse, you have impacted soil that runs from the top of the fibers to the base and probably even permeated the backing. the carpet is also worn the yarns are untwisted, to break up this stuff with any measure of success, you MUST you something that will attack the oil, you can use standard products but it will not clean as well, in most cases even with the best products the carpet will look bad even after cleaning.

sometimes when I get pissed off enough at a nasty polyester I will clean it with renovate, it has the same oil loving properties as olefin. I have always wondered why noone has tried using polyester in a berber construction. its a little more durable than olefin, maybe it would work better in a loop type carpet.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
No Jimmy, it was similar, but not the same.

Its like this:

We both have the same first name, we're both of the same gender, but you are a well adjusted, fine looking specimen of humanity while I am a reclusive, slightly damaged model is is repellent to gaze upon and who is only lovable to dependent children and others who wish to be in my will.

You are Renovate; I am Ultraclean.

Get it?

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
Oh yeah Jim I get it..............and I'll be watching you more closely from now on....bet on it.

And I'll be watching that ACLU liberal Lisa too!

:shock:

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
:roll: To be or not to be.. Jim compared humanity to the ultra thick goo in a barrel from a chemical manufacturing company. !dork!

Jim do you profess your shakspearion nauture to all of your chemicals? :mrgreen:

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
...but if the cleaning agent NOT be appropriate, then all the fibers, dyes, and finishes chopped asunder by said agent will come again in that final day and say...."we were destroyed in such a place"

(from Henry the V)

(Out, out damn spot spot was just too easy!)

Brad_Smith

Polyester is for 70's disco and today fleece not for carpet. While I have no problem with cleaning berber or it wicking I do hate polyester except for apartments with drunken parents and kids running arround with cups full of dye. I might have to try renovate for those areas in front of the living room sofa on poly.

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
By the looks of ULTRACLEAN INDUSTRIAL and RENOVATE they contain the same ingredients and are the same ph of 11.3.

RENOVATE contains chelating ingredients and the dilution ratio is better.

So the reason for PC to discontinue ULTRACLEAN IND is that it was basically the same product and conflicted with another product on their shelf.

And RENOVATE cost more so more profit.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Jimmy if you feeling that way brings you happiness and inner peace, far be it from me to dissuade you.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom