The 20 hour work day...

Bryan S. Bennett

Supportive Member
Name
Central Steamer Professional Carpet & Upholstery Cleaning
Long day yesterday and early this am. Started working in the office at 7 am yesterday until 3 pm then left for a commercial job and didn't get home until 3:30 this am. A little over 20 hours. I do some crazy things like this several times a year and it doesn't really bother me like it would if I worked for someone else. I guess its just the difference of being the owner and not having to do it rather than being forced to do it by an employer or else. Some questions though:

Does it bother you as an owner or employee to do this at times?

What types of crazy hours have you put in a day?

Naturally as the owner you don't get paid for most of the time you put in.

What is your itch? I' m just trying to understand what is the primary purpose or "drive" that allows you to go work like this at times? ie. Is it financial, enjoy it, forced into it...

Or, is working extra overated and in the end not really worth it? We live, we die, its over. Why put a lot of effort into it?

Please share your thoughts on "working hard and is it really worth it in the long run".

For the record I am not a workaholic, I work hard at times, but always focused on working less and playing more in the future.

Last edited:

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Please share your thoughts on "working hard and is it really worth it in the long run".
Not worth it, work is just work. I'm so against work I wouldn't even take a blo* job if you offered to give it to me. ;)

Ok seriously its all up to you.

My father loved this place and worked like a dog but he enjoyed every minute of it and that's they way he chose to live his life. I work as a means to an end, a roof over my head and clothing on my back. I'd just as soon be out screwing around in the yard on a sunny day than working.

I enjoy watching the grass growing listening to some music, sipping on a cold ice tea. :cool:

Mike Draper

I had a 2 week period last summer where we worked sun up to sun down and beyond. Only mon-friday. pulled 20k though. Thats what kept me going. I could not and would not do that type of workload year round though. Nobody ever said on their deathbed they wish they could have worked more. I pass up good money to have Saturday and sundays with my family throughout the year. My business is pretty much stress free the way I run it right now. I have no interest in expanding or having employees take over. I enjoy running the truck with a helper each day, I enjoy working, but most of all I enjoy the freedom this business gives me to spend time with my family. Life is short, I try to make each day a good day.

Jeremy N

Supportive Member
November of 2013 I worked pretty much constantly for a solid month. We did 200k in WD so I never felt tired. Adrenaline and sheer relief kept me going. I don't think I could do that for carpet cleaning and be happy for long.

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
My whole week looks like that, yeah i'm pretty fookin tired...
Will be getting my irish on saturday, nobody talk to me... :very_drunk:

Its hot/cold, seems like a major problem comes every couple years.
Plenty of days I play hooky too tho, so its a trade off.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
For a couple of years I ran 3 stores side by side with 15 employees. (photo, watch, electronics)

I did 7 days a week 7:30-21:00 every day for a year and a half. (after opening this new location, to make things run smooth)

That is not a life worth living. But I loved it. Go figure...

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
I love what I do, and like to get after it pretty hard sometimes. I also like to work on the van like Draper was saying. I take all Saturday's and most Sunday's off too.

I do it all so I can provide a good life for me and my family. 3 week vacations to FL and the Southern Caribbean are way more fun than suckin' rug. We love to camp in our small travel trailer in the Summer and visit family scattered all over this great country (New York, Florida, Montana, Colorado).

I will need to retire someday so I try to keep that in my head but we have had a lot of fun, the last couple years. The time we have with our families is precious and fleeting. I try to be conscious of that when the work starts pouring in.

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
I'm very much a glide time person... Well until the end of March when I start working for someone else after being self employed for 15 years!

Usually one week of the month I have to travel inspecting and correcting claims, during those weeks I'll do 60-80hours but take days off over the next week or three.

I love my work, but I'm with Richard, I'd far rather be on my farm drinking Bundaberg Ginger Beer :)

John

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom