The Bends

B&BGaryC

Name
B&BGaryC
For you folks like me who are working in sub zero temperatures, make sure to exhale as you enter the building to keep your lungs from exploding.
After about the third or fourth trip from the 75 degree, 100% humidity building to the -7 degree 5% humidity outside and back in, I find myself on the floor hacking up what is left of my lungs. Anybody else familiar with this problem?

Rex Tyus

I find myself on the floor hacking up what is left of my lungs. Anybody else familiar with this problem?

When I worked in Massena, New York. I remember loosing my breath on more than one occasion. I could always tell when It was -10 deg or below. The first breath I took felt like my lungs froze. :evil:

But all is right in the world now. I moved my ass back to FLORIDA.

R

R W

I haven't noticed, but it has only got down to about 10* here....during cleaning hours. I send out the help....

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
the "bends"??

as in decompression sickness??

maybe a shock to your lungs, but dissolved nitrogen in your blood doesn't turn to bubbles from in and out of temperature extremes
Does it???

..L.T.A.

danpauselius

Had a job in the mountains this morning ... 0 degrees and the wind was horrible. Had on 2 thick quilted jackets and an insulated hood. My solution line froze in less than 5 minutes on the driveway. Lost vacuum because the waste water froze in the hose. Couldn't clean my filter after the job as my filter box lid was frozen solid.

I couldn't get out of there fast enough.

John Buxton

No you cant get the bends from temperature only from pressure changes. For every 33 feet you submerge thats one atmosphere of pressure.

B&BGaryC

Name
B&BGaryC
meAt said:
the "bends"??

as in decompression sickness??

maybe a shock to your lungs, but dissolved nitrogen in your blood doesn't turn to bubbles from in and out of temperature extremes
Does it???

..L.T.A.

It was a joke.

B&BGaryC

Name
B&BGaryC
danpauselius said:
Had a job in the mountains this morning ... 0 degrees and the wind was horrible. Had on 2 thick quilted jackets and an insulated hood. My solution line froze in less than 5 minutes on the driveway. Lost vacuum because the waste water froze in the hose. Couldn't clean my filter after the job as my filter box lid was frozen solid.

I couldn't get out of there fast enough.

DDDUUUDDDEEE!

That's not how you do it. You need a helper on a cold day. You make sure you get the hose in the house and water running through it. (Pre-spray) within 1.5 min of opening the van. While you spray your helper brings in the rest of the hoses and closes down the van. Whenever you are not using the solution hose, you put it down the suction hose with a quick-connect and keep a little bit of water running through the system. Not a bad idea to leave the truck on and all the heaters running. It's a PITA but you can get it done. It also helps if you elevate the solution hose off of the ground.

jeg1983

Good lord! After hearing all these cold weather horror stories I am actually kinda happy to live in the rainy state. Although it did get dam cold last night (For here) got down to like 18* during night and about 22* when I started my first job. BURRR! Never once had to worry about hoses freezing before getting the pre spray going, Thank god!

Jamie

R

rotorob

I thought one atmosphere pressure differential was 14 feet. Could be wrong.

B&BGaryC

Name
B&BGaryC
Steven Hoodlebrink said:
Lead lines... run ur vac first...and carry 50 ft of solution in the house with you run the vac line, then grab the extra needed solution line, and connect them and run like hell back to the van and start it up.

Disclaimer: DON'T FALL ON UR BUM ON THE IMPENDING ICE

Problem I have with that idea is that with a door open on the van, everything inside starts freezing unless you get the solution running right away. The most vulnerable part of the whole system is going to be the swivel on your live hose reel. If you have your door open and start running vac line, that little swivel will freeze up and you'll be screwed. Just my experience...

Outnumbered

Can't say that I have ever had that problem around here :D

1640b.jpg

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
I know it's a joke.

Lotta people say I'm a joke.

Nitrogen Narcosis is no joke.

At sea level, you body has a pressure of 14lb per square inch on it.

Going lower, or higher, compounds this pressure.

Hence the ache in your ears when flying until you "decompress" your body, ie; clear your ears, etc;

What craps me out, is going to Lost Wages.

The cold outside and then the extreme dry inside a building is enough to make me nauseous, cough, nose bleeds, and end up with a cold.

Coming from a tropical paradise to a frozen desert is enough to make the strongest soul chuck.

I wonder if Floridians suffer the same fate as I ??

Cheers,

Shorty.

PS :: You may now resume your original thread on body bends ;-)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom