The best thing about being a Professional carpet cleaner?

everfresh1

Name
Jamie Cohen
We all know some of the drawbacks of being a carpet cleaner, back and elbow problems ect.. But, What do you guys think is the best thing about it? Every time I get asked the question "what do you like about your job?" I always tell them "all the people I meet and freinds I make". Over the years I've met so many people, Made so many freinds, Kept in touch with people that I normally wouldn't, Became reacquainted with people from my Childhood. This is the best thing about being a professional carpet cleaner in my opinion.

royalkid

Supportive Member
Name
Gulf Coast Carpet Care
Jamie, I agree...that's a great part of our job. One of my best friends today was once a customer/stranger...always requested me, then helped me buy my first home (realtor/broker) and now we talk every other day.

But on a daily note...I, like most here, go above and beyond...and it's great when a customer is thrilled about the job you did and specifically thanks you for being so considerate and thorough. Love that!!! How can you get tired of getting the "pat on the back" :) But we deserve it ;)

alazo1

Name
Albert Lazo
I like having my own business and coming up with ways of making it better. Though I've always been in the service industry and do like the public and enjoy the satisfaction of a job well done, the business part is what makes it for me.

Albert

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
I love the "Helping people" aspect of my business.

I really get a joy out of helping others...I have for as long as I can remember.
I can't keep secrets unless it affects someone else....it's curse and a blesssing.

When I make someone's day and they tell me about it, it means the world to me.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
I've found it interesting over the years how valuable it was to friends that I am a cleaner. There are situations arise where they wouldn't have known who to call or what to do, ie kid throws up on the carpet, or a client is incontinent, etc.

Chris A

Name
Chris
I like being my clients go-to guy for any problems or questions about their floors. People ask me all the time about new flooring choices, it seems like I do more selling for my carpet store than they do themselves.

tim

I like being my own boss, the best I ever had! I also enjoy seeing the customers face when we clean up their trashed out carpet and getting treated like a rock star when we do! I also enjoy the big paydays, nice to be well compensated.

G

tim said:
I like being my own boss, the best I ever had! I also enjoy seeing the customers face when we clean up their trashed out carpet and getting treated like a rock star when we do! I also enjoy the big paydays, nice to be well compensated.
I think this sums it all up

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Yea, I really don't think I could ever "work" for someone else again.

Yes, we all work for someone...our customers, our kids, our spouses...but you get the idea.

NO clock, no friday paycheck...work harder?? Get paid more...gotta love it.

Try that crap with McDonalds. :roll:

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
bob vawter said:
[quote="Mikey P":3g0i669s]Getting five idiots to get MY company logo tattooed on their bodies :shock:

JHC.....he's RIGHT!!![/quote:3g0i669s]

Dumbasses....the lot of ya.

Fred Homan

I like it when I do a great job/change the color of the carpet/the client is HAPPY! And when they say....WANNA cold beer? Yesssssssss! Depends on the client.....

Fred

everfresh1

Name
Jamie Cohen
royalkid said:
Jamie, I agree...that's a great part of our job. One of my best friends today was once a customer/stranger...always requested me, then helped me buy my first home (realtor/broker) and now we talk every other day.

But on a daily note...I, like most here, go above and beyond...and it's great when a customer is thrilled about the job you did and specifically thanks you for being so considerate and thorough. Love that!!! How can you get tired of getting the "pat on the back" :) But we deserve it ;)

Yea that's what I'm talking about. I have dozons of similar storys, I know so many people now it's crazy, I've met people again that I Knew in elementry school, Also in the old neighborhood everybody knows me as the neighborhood carpet cleaner, Kind of like the milkman back in the day. I love that.

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
everfresh1 said:
royalkid said:

Yea that's what I'm talking about. I have dozons of similar storys, I know so many people now it's crazy, I've met people again that I Knew in elementry school, Also in the old neighborhood everybody knows me as the neighborhood carpet cleaner, Kind of like the milkman back in the day. I love that.

Yup. I missed only two things when I sold my business:

1. Being a part of my customer's families and their almost fawning praise over the quality of people we employed and the great work that they produced. Praise is addictive. (A point we might remember when dealing with our staff.)

2. I also missed going to Lowes/ Sams Club/ Borders, etc and not being able to "have the business pay for it" and make it tax deductible. And don't even get me started on all those "tax-deductible vacations". (You small business owners do not realize the quality of life you enjoy while legally funding it with tax-deductible funds. And some of this may actually be legal.)

Island Boy
www.StrategiesForSuccess.com

PS OK, I guess there were more than just two things I liked. I'm also grateful for the freedom this industry gave me, both while I was in business and also being able to retire early. I tried to take three months off sprinkled through out the year so I got to spend some great times with my family that we would have missed if I was a wage slave. Then being able to retire from full time business while Sioux and I were young enough to actually enjoy it- PRICELESS!

Oh, and finally, the money was great for a guy who graduated from high school as a mediocre student! This is a great business ... IF you do it right- and I'm the first to admit that I often didn't. But that is a story for a different thread.

Greenie

Brent said:
Mikey P said:
Getting five idiots to get MY company logo tattooed on their bodies :shock:

The Charles Manson of carpet cleaning :wink:

I like the false sense of security said tatoos offer, once you are marked and chosen you are immortal. :roll:

I agree that the people you meet are a big part of it for me. But I also love having the flexiblity to be able to be there for my kids. Making your own hours is great! I never miss a softball game, dance recital, anything like that.

exploited

free time! when working for someone when can you possibly play golf , now i get in 5 rounds a week I would play everyday but i may loose my partner :lol: although i do play at the break of dawn and aiming to play in the asian tour in 3-5 years. Working for someone the only time i can play is on sunday stuff that for a joke

gary mackay

the best part of it really is the various types of species of dustmites that I collect on my body & bring home everyday, once i had a case of the bedbugs that I truly enjoyed the best that I think I caught while cleaning on each side of the bed of a motor home of which I had to lay on the mattress. My wife said they were crabs and almost left me. It's tough being a carpet cleaning superhero!

ksnyder

Meeting people, being able to completely control your own schedule, and the instant before/after results. Everyone is always happy.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom