The black light doesn't lie

I just got back from the cat urine job. This is a house I cleaned a few weeks back. Of course I soaked the carpet with enzyme and opened the windows, but it still smells rancid. I went around with a black light to locate the damaged areas. There is urine throughout the entire house. It is EVERYWHERE. It is all over the walls, baseboards, all in the carpet, the kitchen floor, cabinets, and the subfloor/tackstrip. I called the owner and told them I couldn't do anything before Monday. I said "If I replaced the carpet and installed new pad, the house would still smell like urine. There is no way to fix this problem CHEAP."

TimP

A lot of work in front of you. You need to get some Bin, or kilz and seal the floor and walls after cleaning of course. Repaint new tack strip, pad, and carpet. It'll be just like Bawbs new Steam Genie's

TimP

bob vawter said:
i want my shirt back Tim................

I couldn't say just like new. And the description using your machines was so much more accurate.

And you can have the shirt back if you mail me return shipping, once I get it. :mrgreen:

Name
Lee Stockwell
Don't be a hero.

Clean somewhere else, where they appreciate clean. Surely you aren't THAT desperate.

Walking is often healthy exercise.

F

FB7777

Lee Stockwell said:
Don't be a hero.

Clean somewhere else, where they appreciate clean. Surely you aren't THAT desperate.

ditto

Name
Bruce
fred boyle said:
[quote="Lee Stockwell":2mn1mrt7]Don't be a hero.

ditto[/quote:2mn1mrt7]What if he's working for a landlord that kicked out some worthless renters and he needs to get his rental property back in money making order?

Name
Lee Stockwell
Daniel is in over his head. He says he "cleaned" it a few weeks back. Evidently without running the UV light then. I won't fault him for that oversight, but his nose should have given him a "heads up" that things were THAT bad.

I remember Cliff Zlotnik in a class nearly 30 years ago telling us to pull back the carpet and letting the homeowner get the full visual and olfactory gross-out as we tell them "THEY have a problem". Back then I thought Cliff was a greedy bastard for his suggestions and pricing, but time and again his advice has proven to be right on the money.

Lee that is good advice but blacklights are useless in daytime hours.

Walking really isn't an option.

If I decide to try and save the home, I will need to clean the walls, seal the subloor, replace the tack strip, seal the carpet backing, stretch the carpet, and re-clean. I don't have an ozone machine, but can rent one.

How would you price something like this?

I have always figured my materials or supplies plus any contract labor and then added what I wanted to make. I would need to clear at least a grand for an all day job like this.

I forgot to mention I got a cool black light that is a flash light for 30 bucks. It works great.

Bee Busy

Name
Bee Busy
danielc said:
Lee that is good advice but blacklights are useless in daytime hours.

Walking really isn't an option.

If I decide to try and save the home, I will need to clean the walls, seal the subloor, replace the tack strip, seal the carpet backing, stretch the carpet, and re-clean. I don't have an ozone machine, but can rent one.

How would you price something like this?

I have always figured my materials or supplies plus any contract labor and then added what I wanted to make. I would need to clear at least a grand for an all day job like this.

I forgot to mention I got a cool black light that is a flash light for 30 bucks. It works great.
U can black light it...buy some thick black plastic tarps to cover the windows and tack 'em to the walls....shut the doors...unless the house has high ceilings with windows u can't reach...but lots of Killz...pad....tack....enzymes...price your materials and time

tim

$30 backlight is why you say they are useless in daylight! Get a good one and a moisture probe.

G

George V

danielc said:
I just got back from the cat urine job. This is a house I cleaned a few weeks back. Of course I soaked the carpet with enzyme and opened the windows, but it still smells rancid. I went around with a black light to locate the damaged areas. There is urine throughout the entire house. It is EVERYWHERE. It is all over the walls, baseboards, all in the carpet, the kitchen floor, cabinets, and the subfloor/tackstrip. I called the owner and told them I couldn't do anything before Monday. I said "If I replaced the carpet and installed new pad, the house would still smell like urine. There is no way to fix this problem CHEAP."

I'd "nuke it" with Cherry Odorsolve and tell them to have a nice day.

idreadnought

Supportive Member
Name
Richard
A good blacklight will show urine even during the day. A couple hundred bucks is worth the cost for the money it can make. I recently had a lady call and say that she had a dog have a few accidents near the dining room table. Sure enough with the naked eye you could see staining. I then wipped out my Cobb blacklight at 11:00 am in the morning and shined it into her livingroom. Wow it looked like a christmas tree. About 15 softball sized spots throughout her livingroom. $250 in subsurface extraction, $125 to clean and it is a great day to be a ccer

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
Just got done doing 2 pet jobs this week, both ended up doing carpet cleaning as well. Get a hydrosensor 2 while you're at it.

Loren Egland

Name
Loren Egland
Don't forget the new drywall and other possible construction work.

I had a realtor tell my it took $40.000 to restore one urine contaminated house. Even the lumber in walls and floors replaced.

I won't waste my time on such jobs. They are a no win situation and not my problem.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom