The Day my Super bee began to die.

John Watson

It actualy started the evening before, I was head of the Maint dept ata Shrimp and King Crab processing plant. We just completed installing a new shrimp plant. It was designed and partialy built in Seattle, sent to Alaska and most of the revision drawings were lost in transit. Wow did we have fun putting it together, This started as a 2 week job of me wrking in the crab cannery on the prosessing line to get so extra money so I could fly the family to where we were going to fish salmon that summer. Then they found out I was mechanical and could weld AL and stainless with Mig and Tig. I quit 18 months later and went to work on the Trans Alaska Pipeline for 2 1/2 years.

Anyways to celebrate the completion the company had a Steak Bar B Que, Helen and I went, She was almost 9 months PG, We danced, drank (open bar) and had a gay ol time. 8PM Helen wanted to go home, she was tired. I took her home, convinced her to let me go out a bit more with my co workers. So I jumped back in my Super Bee, A year and a half before I had loaned my brother in law $1000 with a 1970 Dodge Super Bee Title as colateral on a 6 mo note. I actuly didn't call the note but after a year he dropped the car off and said it was mine. We named it The Gass Hogg, and could it suck fuel. I loved shifing it with its long handled Hurst shifter and grip, would that thing fly. It won me 3 pink slips.

Well, I went adrinkin, I had never drank shots of Tequilla before, and I made a fool out of Jose Currivo that night. I awoke in the back seat of the Bee, no keys, and infront of one of the bars we were at earlier. Evidently we closed this bar down and the band members and I went to an after hours joint where I continued to make a fool of my self.

I was smart enough to give my keys to a member of the band that didn't drink, He just smoked grass...... and the band had their sleeping rooms above the bar is why we went back. After knocking on all the doors I finaly found my keys and went home.

The babysitter said Helen had a neighbor take her to the delivery room about 3 hours before and everyone was looking for me.

I rushed to the Hospital and was just in time to see my eldest daughter being born.
Talk about being in a dog house, I was 10 floors under.. I was sick, hung over and happy, Left momma and baby which were both fine to go get our son Jay and the babysitter. On the way over to my moms, with both Jay and Sheri in the frt with me, no car seat or seat belts, Drivin by a friends house his German Shepard jumped off a small bluff on to the road in front of the Bee. It was either dyamite the brakes and possibly throw Jay and Sheri through the windshield or hit the dog, Sorry dog gone,

The dogs owner, a friend saw it happen so I had no explaining to do. In about 5 minutes the dog got up with this big gash in its head, shook him self off and trotted down to his house like nothing happened.

When the dog hit under the front bumper there is sheetmetal that directs Airflow under the car. Well that was smashed.His head must have hit the rotating fan blades, They were all bent and went through my radiator., No rad avalible in Alaskan auto wrecking yards for MoPar Big blocks, new one was $340 plus 60.00 frt ( that was big money in 74) take 3- 4 weeks to get it from Seattle. So me and my needle nose pliers and a soldering iron got with it, car would still overheat.
I screwed up a few times and run it too hot, warped thee hesds which was the begining of my Super Bees demise.

Today my daughter Christy is 36, I have not had a straight shot of Tequilla since that night, after ruining the engine, I traded the car to my younger brother whom traded and sold it years later. Damn that ther car was fast.

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
I used to own a '69 Camaro SS convertible (back in '77). It had the 300HP 350 with Muncie rockcrusher 4-speed. Sold it to pay bills. Still kick myself for that. Restored, it would be worth a fortune today.

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
The new Camaro looks to be an amazing piece of engineering to me, I haven't driven one. Not sure I'm sold on the looks, maybe it will grow on me. The little 6 cylinder motor has more HP than my original '69 V8, and gets twice the mileage. That's something. The V8 version develops 426 HP and still does 24 mpg.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom