The difference between 6 and 6.6 nylon?

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
What is Nylon?

The term nylon refers to a family of plastics. The two most common grades of nylon are Nylon 6 and Nylon 6/6. The number refers to the number of methyl groups (See "A Guide to Polycarbonate in General" for an example of a methyl group) which occur on each side of the nitrogen atoms (amide groups). The term polyamide, another name for nylon, reflects the presence of these amide groups on the polymer chain. The difference in number of methyl groups influences the properties of the nylon.

Unlike polycarbonate, nylon is crystalline in nature; so the molecular chains do not have large substituent groups (such as the phenyl ring in polycarbonate). The crystalline nature of the material is responsible for its wear resistance, chemical resistance, thermal resistance, and higher mold shrinkage.

What is the difference between two different kinds of nylon?

As the separation of the amide groups increases (by adding more methyl groups) and the polarity of the amide groups is reduced, moisture absorbance is decreased. Resistance to thermal deformation is lowered due to more flexibility and mobility in the methyl unit sections of the chain. In the case of Nylon 6 and Nylon 6/6, the properties are not that different, but one can clearly see this relationship when comparing Nylon 6/6 to Nylon 6/12. Nylon 6/12 has a lower modulus, higher elongation, lower strength, lower thermal distortion temperature, lower hardness, and lower melting point than Nylon 6/6. However, Nylon 6/12 absorbs half as much water on Nylon 6/6. Thus, even though the properties may not be as good as Nylon 6/6 in dry conditions; the properties of Nylon 6/12 will be much more consistent when it is used in applications in which water may be present. The absorption of water has a significant effect on the properties of nylon.

http://www.ptsllc.com/nylon_intro.htm

Hey, you asked....

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
stain blocking

liqours and heat sets etc etc

al about absortion and stain resistance

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
royalkid said:
wow Dan, is that how you'd explain it to your custy??

Explain? I dont even understand half of what I just pasted. Is there an organic chemist in the house? Ain't Google wonderful....

TimP

I'm with Marty IDGAS

I clean it all the same. What difference does it make????

Name
Shawn Forsythe
The actual differences between these two fibers types have become almost inconsequential as it relates to 5th generation carpet as the carpets fibers are subject to post treatments like fluorochemicals and acid dye resistors which make the two products for practical purposes indistinguishable to the user and cleaner.

The manufacturers of Type 6,6 nylon will say it has a tighter molecular structure, making it more resilient and more resistant to stains than Type 6 nylon. The advantages of any differences almost disappear in the final product however. Type 6.6 may be a tad more lightfast though.

Loren Egland

Name
Loren Egland
I seem to remember being told that type 6 nylon was more open and spongy so that it more easily accepted dyes, so less dye stain resistant but easier to obtain rich deep hues when manufactured.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Hey, one time I can respectfully disagree with Shawn! If the two are indistinguishable to the cleaner he can't possibly know why two seemingly identical nylon carpets will clean up differently. Say he's the type of cleaner that buys into current marketing hype and uses oxidizers on everything but wool, that ignorance might make him look pretty silly when he has to talk with a mill rep. :oops: Chemical producers always guarantee that if you use their product as advertised, they'll buy any carpet you screw up, right? :roll:

Compared to type 6.6, type six:
- More readily accepts dyes.
For this reason it works well for post-production dying, whether with a pattern or a solid color. In addition to being a cheaper to produce fiber, this makes for carpet that can be sold at a lower price point than the harder to dye 6.6. "Builder's spec" nylon is always type 6.

- More readily accepts stains.
Lots of "stains" that can be removed from type 6.6 quickly become part of type 6. If you can't a get a coffee stain out of nylon carpet you can be reasonably sure that's a type 6. Keeping the Teflon "refreshed" makes a bigger difference in keeping up the appearance of type 6 nylon.

- More readily loses dyes. Ever have a leaky fitting or a usually dependable spotting procedure take the color out of a nylon carpet? That's type 6. Ever have seen oxydizer fading on a nylon carpet? Type 6 again. (Of course, no one here will admit to having ever seen this. :wink: )

- Is a softer fiber, so even if dyed in-solution is more easily permanently discolored by grit in traffic areas. Again, re-applying a fluorochemcial protectant will make a bigger difference over the life of this carpet.

Commercial carpet specifiers use type 6 if the customer is driven by price, or if the carpet is going into an upmarket retail location that will tear it out in three to five years just to keep the look "fresh." They will use type 6.6 in installations that get heavy use or the client wants the carpet to last as long as possible and aren't inclined to buy wool.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Its interesting that the manufacturer's decided to get a different name for PTT (Triexta) so that they didn't have to call it Polyester. I've yet to see a significant difference between them, at least far less than between 6 and 6,6.

I've always felt the difference between 6 and 6,6 was such that each should have had a different name, but marketing drives things more than technology.

leesenter

To add a bit more to what The Great Oz said:
Nylon 6 can be recycled back into nylon carpet fiber, nylon 6.6 is metamorphasized and cannot be recycled back into fiber.

Nylon 6.6 is made at higher temps and is more colorfast, it is also harder to stain.

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
"Ever have a leaky fitting or a usually dependable spotting procedure take the color out of a nylon carpet?"

This in fact just happened to me a short time ago. A leaky fitting sitting in the puddle for awhile removed the color. Luckily it was a very small spot.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom