The "greatest" of compliments

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
The greatest and somewhat saddest of compliments:

Recently I bid a job and got it. As usual when I met the client I asked him why did he decide to give us the job and not the competition.
My ego was expecting something like: Because you have the best Yelp reviews, or because we heard great things about you.
Alas, that's not what he said.

His answer was: "I contacted 11 companies, you were the only one who replied." I guess, sometime just showing up, is winning more than half the contest.

We are at the end of building up our new home. Can't tell you how many contractors that we met, never followed through. We didn't even do much comparison shopping and the job was not a small one. They just never bother to follow through.

I guess in this day and age, if one bothers to reply and actually shows up he's considered to be a top notch company. If they don't steal, we're talking hall of fame material.

Last edited:

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
The greatest and somewhat saddest of compliments:

Recently I bid a job and got it. As usual when I met the client I asked him why did he decide to give us the job and not the competition.
My ego was expecting something like: Because you have the best Yelp reviews, or because we heard great things about you.
Alas, that's not what he said.

His answer was: "I contacted 11 companies, you were the only one who replied." I guess, sometime just showing up, is winning more than half the contest.

We are at the end of building up our new home. Can't tell you how many contractors that we met, never followed through. We didn't even do much comparison shopping and the job was not a small one. They just never bother to follow through.

I guess in this day and age, if one bothers to reply and actually shows up he's considered to be a top notch company. If they don't steal, we're talking hall of fame material.

More than a few guys who I started in the cleaning business had this as their reason for starting a carpet cleaning business:

"I was a (manager of some business or institution), and every time I tried to find someone to clean my carpet, it was nearly impossible to get someone to answer the phone, to call back if I left a message, or show up if I made an appointment for an estimate. If this business is so good that guys can blow off work that way, its got to be a great opportunity"

While I'd give them some clearer ideas of why cleaners behave that way (many are disorganized or so inept that they are simply unemployable and have to buy a job that they think is owning a business), that was the stimulus that made them start their businesses, and most did well afterward.

Oh, and to be clear: In no case were these guys leaving messages like "I need the cheapest job possible" or "If you can beat the guy that's doing it now, its yours".

Mikey P

Administrator
We've had the same frustrations here in NV
Landscapers
Concrete
Awning installers
Shed installers
Plumbers
Painters
Electricians

All of them moved here from California and all of them are horrible at commitment and communication.

All of them provide a good product but all are over worked since the economic rebound. The weak competition didn't survive..

It should be easy to rise to the top here..

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
It's going to be fun to watch Mike. Seems like you're really changing things up from SCruz. They don't realize TWGCC just moved into town!

Not sure if you mentioned it, but are you sticking with the Connoisseur name and look?

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I am constantly riding my guys to call back. Whether it sounds like a great job or a dog with fleas, I want them called back that day.

Nothing makes me more mad than someone calling in saying they have not heard back from one of our guys. :angry:

I personally hate calling for any service not getting a call back. Yet, that seems to be the norm for service providers now days.

I DON'T want our company to fall into this category even if that's how others handle it. :neutral:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: ruff

PrimaDonna

Megatron
Name
MB

I really believe this is a huge part of our success and why we are able to charge what we charge. Our feedback cards always come back to comments about the customer service and how easy it was to work with us. This is why I'm somewhat baffled by those that wonder how we do what we do. Like I said in a different post, there is no magic thing we do. We run our company based on sound, and what I think are common sense, business practices. I just don't see any other way.....SMH.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
This thread made me think of an embarrassing mistake made by my company, and therefore ME, just this last Friday:

Our class registrations are primarily handled by two women who work here in sales capacities. Their primary job regarding classes is to contact our customers and make them aware of the subjects, time, place, and of course the benefits of the programs we offer.

I then saw this under another thread here on MB about one of our upcoming programs:

"I'm planning on making this one. The girls weren't in Friday to take my reservation so I gotta remember to call Monday."

Both women happened to be off last Friday, and I came to find out that one of my other staff decided on his own that it was too inconvenient for them to register someone (sorry Justin) who called to sign up, and he was told to call back Monday.

I was embarrassed to find out about the shabby customer (dis) service treatment Justin experienced, but at least I hope that I have it corrected.

Keep watching the "simple stuff", like returning calls, and treating each call that you do take as the most important call of the day.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Keep watching the "simple stuff", like returning calls, and treating each call that you do take as the most important call of the day.
The office girls like to put post it's in the guys cubicles. I tell them the burden of that call being returned is entirely on them until the hand off is sure. Text them, they are not doing anything but driving between jobs. They should have their assistant drive, while they make return calls. I also have the girls email them so that it is documented and the guys cannot say they never received it. Then I ask when I see them just to ensure it got done, which by that time its usually has.

Willy P

Name
Willy P
I agree with you Ofer- I had a bid to do on a school on a small island on the coast here, referred by a supplier to strip and wax a floor. I showed up, paid the $30 ferry fair - and booked the job. It pays me and a helper around $3500 for 2 and a half days work. Including the school, I've picked up the local government offices, the library, the fire halls, a day care and some residential work. It's a nice micro market that nobody wanted to serve properly. I include a travel charge to cover ferry fares and a bit for my half hour ferry ride. It worked and continues to work quite well for me.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom