The Loss of an Industry Pioneer and Legend

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
He was such a gentleman and a great speaker. I attended at least three of his cross country seminars back in the day.

Each time coming away thinking maybe we should buy a Bane. He could sell.

He was a legend in his own time.

billyeadon

Supportive Member
Name
Bill Yeadon
Bill Bane has passed away

I am at a loss for words right now, but perhaps as this sinks in a little I will share more of my feelings about this great man.

http://www.cleanfax.com/ext/resources/article-images/2014/February/william-bane-obituary.pdf

Jim,

He passed away last Friday and I received the call early Saturday morning before we started the meeting at Mikeys fest. I made the announcement to start the day but maybe only 1/2 of the room even knew who I was talking about. I think that is very sad for a man that spent 52 years in this industry and started many ideas such as the Bane Clene school before there was ever an IICUC school.

His was one of the first truck mounts manufactured. The Bane Clene Digest was bedside reading for many in our industry. Jeff Cross mentioned that the Digest was one of the reasons he was in journalism.

No other company ever penetrated the Dalton GA carpet industry like he did. At one point just about every carpet manufacturer and fiber producer recommended Bane Clene in their maintenance literature.

He was the first person that actually created a complete business system that actually performed better than many franchises. The ABC system of referrals was unique and amazingly effective for 100s of cleaners.

As I trained for other distributors they would always ask me how to get Bane Clene customers to buy from them. I always told them good luck.

How could he get so many customers to become 100% loyal for decades when he sold them equipment that many in the industry said was pitifully under powered. I think it was because they bought the man and his beliefs not a piece of steel.

I doubt that we will ever see a man like Wm. F.Bane Sr. again and we will all be much poorer for it.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Thank you for saying many of the things that I could not find the right words for Bill.

I doubt that many understand the debt our industry owes to Bill. Whether or not cleaners stayed with his system throughout their careers, his message of professionalism, integrity, and decency was the bedrock of many cleaning companies throughout their existence, and on to children and grandchildren of the founders of their businesses.

I had the opportunity to spend some time with Bill when he graciously made himself available as a speaker for both TRSCA and the UCCI. Those that knew of how Bane Clene positioned itself in the industry understood what a special experience it was to have him make himself available to the outside industry. In each case he spoke with wisdom, intelligence, humility, and caring.

I maintained warm email exchanges with him during his retirement regarding issues of certification, the CRI, the SOA, and training, and benefited greatly from his wisdom and experience.

I still don't have all the words about how I feel about his loss. More later.

J

JS41035

When I was a kid Bane was it. There was no better system in our minds. I'll always wonder what would have happened if they had made a reliable direct drive or innovated a bit more with the Electric system. They had so much momentum. The relationships with the carpet mills and the loyal customers, just a huge "what if?"
Still a lot of guys made great money and raised there family with Banes. You left those classes feeling like a professional .

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: FB7777

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
You're right Bill, only us old guys knew Bill and what he did for our industry.

I first saw Lee Stockwell's truck with Jason on the side in the Bane Clean Digest. While never a Bane owner I looked forward to reading the Digest.

Its sad I often name drop people that were instrumental in making this industry into what it is today and its obvious the other person hasn't a clue whom I'm speaking about.

Too many young guys, which is a good thing for the industry but somehow our cleaning history gets lost in the transition of older to young cleaners.

F

FB7777

Before the boards, I was a huge Bane Clene supporter. Met Bill several times in Indianapolis, great smile, firm handshake and was a large confident presence.

Built a tremendously successful company with employees that lasted for decades, which says a lot for how that organization was run internally.

Went to the Management school when I made my first Bane Clene purchase. It was a deciding factor in doing business with Bane, that and the non pressure salesmanship of Kevin Stark.

I bought Bills book " We Did it Their Way " when it was first published and read it in 2 days... Which says a lot as I am not much of a reader.

Truly a sad day... My sincerest condolences to the entire Bane family, friends and organization . Bill Bane was a great man and true pioneer for the carpet cleaning industry.

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
You're right Bill, only us old guys knew Bill and what he did for our industry...While never a Bane owner I looked forward to reading the Digest.
Same with me, Richard. While I never owned a Bane I totally devoured his Digest every month. Back in the Dark Ages of the late 1970's it was one of the few reliable sources of information on building a carpet cleaning business. (Instead of just "owning a job".)

I rank Mr. Bane right up there with Ralph Bloss, Lee Pemberton and Martin King in being a leader and pioneer in our cleaning and restoration industry.

Steve

PS Of course, Richard, I never knew Mr. Bane "personally" so I must not be an "old guy" like you and Yeadon.

Reactions: FB7777

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
PS Of course, Richard, I never knew Mr. Bane "personally" so I must not be an "old guy" like you and Yeadon
link1.gif
:eekk: but...but...but..

:biggrin:

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
One of the restoration pioneers. RIA/ASCR past president, CR program instructor. I believe he took over when Major Long retired.

Now I'm really showing age, aren't I? LOL

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
LOL

Yes very unique.

Martin King has been a leader to the restoration industry in many ways. One that had the foresight to carve out a nitch that those who came after him have followed. Very sharp gentlemen that cares about the people cleaning and those receiving the services. :icon_cool:

Last edited by a moderator:

TomKing

Supportive Member
Name
Tom
Our first unit just 5 years ago was a used Bane. It never let us down. I sometimes wish our fire breathing dragons had so few problems.

I have benefited from both Kevin and Bill here in Indy. Bill Bane was a great mentor to many of our current industry giants that many of us learn from daily.

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
Oops but I thought this was about me.........I ain't dead yet.

But yeah he was a good guy?

Enjoyed reading his propaganda in his "Digest" over the years.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
He was a good guy, a good human being, Jimmy.

He defended his unique positions about low pressure and heat pretty strongly, but to me it was assertive marketing and in the end he did a heck of a lot to promote hot water extraction to the mills when it was dominated by the dry powder and dry foam people.

I was fortunate to get to know him.

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
Before the boards, I was a huge Bane Clene supporter. Met Bill several times in Indianapolis, great smile, firm handshake and was a large confident presence.

Built a tremendously successful company with employees that lasted for decades, which says a lot for how that organization was run internally.

Went to the Management school when I made my first Bane Clene purchase. It was a deciding factor in doing business with Bane, that and the non pressure salesmanship of Kevin Stark.

I bought Bills book " We Did it Their Way " when it was first published and read it in 2 days... Which says a lot as I am not much of a reader.

Truly a sad day... My sincerest condolences to the entire Bane family, friends and organization . Bill Bane was a great man and true pioneer for the carpet cleaning industry.

What a clash of Titans, Fred. Both legends in the industry, Ralph Bloss (of Steamway) was a large presence of a man, truely devoted to gas powered, kero fired, hot,hot solutions cleaning. 2 different methods/opinions, same basic result. He had an infectious smile and hand shake, such as Bane. After a weekend get together/seminar at Ohio Steamway Distributors and Ralph, you couldn't get home fast enough to try out the latest CC tecniques that he preached about.

I also read his digest every month although I had never purchased any product from him.

Prayers to his family.

Last edited:

harryhides

Name
Tony
I got to know Bill a bit in the last few years and enjoyed many very pleasant phone calls with him.
He was a delightful man and a great innovator and pioneer of this industry, he will be missed.

My condolences to his family.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom