The main differences between upholstery and carpet presprays

Bob Foster

It was mentioned somewhere that there are some key differences between a carpet pre-spray and a upholstery (fabric) pre-spray.

So you formulators and chemical gurus what are the key differences?

What are the drawbacks for using a carpet pre-spray or a multipurpose pre-spray on either if you follow the directions?

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
Re: The main differences between upholstery and carpet presp

Carpet presprays generally have more "wetting agents"(I think there is a technical term for them but I can't think what it is) in them because of the need to penetrate into the fiber more for the deflocculation reaction to happen. Whereas a good formulated fabric presprays have less, because there is less of need since the fabric is so thin.

Using carpet presprays can cause over-wetting issues, crocking, and upholsterer's pen marks to wick, and many others.

I wish manufacturers would list its product wetting ability so that a better decision can be made on the cleaner's choice of fabric prespray they would use.

FLYERMAN

Supportive Member
Name
Ken Raddon

There is a difference in the amount and/or type of solvents used. I however have used carpet prespray to do upholstery dozens of times on the rat nasties.

Bob Foster

Sounds like an answer from the boys in the front seats of the class. You know, the "wink-wink this will likely be on the test" Power Point bullet off of a of a IICRC UPT class.

You know; the typical certification course where you are surrounded by brand new equipment and at least 30 different bottles of juice from XXXX supplier and none from YYYYY supplier.

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink

Are you implying that its marketing bullshit, and you can use either carpet or fabric prespray and do just fine ?

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington

Hoody did hit one of the key differences - less and different surfactants or wetting agents in upholstery products. There is no need to wet through the fabric. There is not as much of the third dimension to fabric when compared to carpet. If the cleaning solution goes through the fabric it will dry slower and perhaps wick things to the surface that would be better left under / behind the fabric.

Another difference is due to the greater percentage of natural fibers in upholstery as compared to fabrics (at least in USA). Likely to be more solvent action to deal with body oils, hair oils, food spills but not as much alkalinity.

I don't know any professional carpet cleaning product hat contains optical brighteners, but a few upholstery products have OB.

Zee

Supportive Member
Name

Hoody said:
Carpet presprays generally have more "wetting agents"(I think there is a technical term for them but I can't think what it is) in them because of the need to penetrate into the fiber more for the deflocculation reaction to happen. Whereas a good formulated fabric presprays have less, because there is less of need since the fabric is so thin.

Using carpet presprays can cause over-wetting issues, crocking, and upholsterer's pen marks to wick, and many others.

I wish manufacturers would list its product wetting ability so that a better decision can be made on the cleaner's choice of fabric prespray they would use.

I'm with Hoody on this one. This is exactly what I was going to write. Now how much of it is marketing? I'm not sure. I'm sure though that there is a certain level of bs in selling the uph only chemicals.

Bob Foster

Now were getting at the real meat of the matter and Hoody I hope I haven't disparaged the green shoulder patch on your shirt too much. And yes Hoody, I think a lot of what is said by "store -owned" instructors about solutions is marketing bullshit designed to scare some newby into thinking he has to fill his chemical shelves full of different chemicals otherwise he is going to be buying couches because he used the wrong prespray.

There definitely is some reality to what Scott said and he is doing a good job of explaining it. That's what a lot of us want to know.

Someone, if they have it, please post a picture of how a carpet cleaning prespray has over-wet a fabric compared to the upholstery prespray right beside it on the same fabric. Then explain to me what is chemically different between the two along the lines of what Scott just said.

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington

For some fabrics, the result of over-wetting could simply be that the piece takes longer to dry but no change in appearance, simply an inconvenience.

For other fabrics, mostly light colored naturals, slow drying could increase the possibility of browning, shrinkage, color bleed and all the issues that might be associated with over-wetting. It would be difficult to tell if the prespray was the cause or if simply technician error caused the fabric to be too wet. A side by side test with 1/2 of several different piece cleaned might produce results you could photograph and say this is caused by over-wetting.

I would always choose upholstery prespray for upholstery when I had a choice, but in some unusual circumstance, I might use carpet prespray on a synthetic fabric. Hopefully not one of those "super alkaline blast everything of the abused restaurant carpet" presprays.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton

The upholstery pre-spray surely is not a manufacturer's hype. Not that some are not guilty of that, however, this is not the case.

The reality is the that the cost of having one more product line to make and carry, surely is not justified by the little extra sale of that product. For most of us, it takes practically forever to finish one gallon of the upholstery pre-spray (and I clean a lot of upholstery.)

!dork! That's me after a day of upholstery cleaning.

Lyman

Supportive Member
Name
Lyman

As far as overwetting a piece on furniture, it all depends on soil load and fiber. Lets face it, by the time we get called in, it is filthy, oil caked arms, and the cushions are stained like a road map. Try to not wet thru a piece of synthetic cloth that is 1/16 of an inch thick. Prespray works just fine or the old stand by of whipping upholstery shampoo up. Experience is the key with upholstery.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton

Lyman said:
As far as overwetting a piece on furniture, it all depends on soil load and fiber. Lets face it, by the time we get called in, it is filthy, oil caked arms, and the cushions are stained like a road map. Try to not wet thru a piece of synthetic cloth that is 1/16 of an inch thick. Prespray works just fine or the old stand by of whipping upholstery shampoo up. Experience is the key with upholstery.

Right.
And way too much (for instructors it is more about liability than anything else) is made about over wetting.
Yes certain types of fabrics can be damaged by over wetting. However, the majority of upholstery is cleaned when it is already in pretty dire state. And the fluff no moisture approach and tools do frankly- diddly.

A good scrubbing and a very thorough rinse with proper cleaning techniques is the only way to help these pieces.

Yes, we all love the sofas that look great before we even started. Only problem we don't get as many of those as we'd like.

And to those who are going advise us to get a different clientele, I have one word:
Get a life :p

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom