The Morning Sessions @ M10F

Mikey P

Administrator
Will have Tom King, Mark Saiger and the Mighty Joe Appleby spilling their guts on how to grow from one truck to "a few" in a round table type setting with plenty of time to answer questions on employee management, branding, sales strategies, managed growth etc.

THESE GUYS HAVE IT GOING ON!

and to help break up the seriousness of it all, the fabulous Adam Hale will do a half hour presentation mid morning both days to help keep you on your feet and on the just and moral track of the good life.

Unless your name is Dave Yokum, YOU will want to be there for this.

Mark, Tom and Joe, what do you have to say for yourselves?

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
Hey Mikey,

Just had a chance to sit down and check out the boards. First I would like to say we are very honored and excited to be able to come and share with everyone who can attend Mikey Fest! My wife Shari will also be coming along (and maybe her sister and husband who have worked with us in the past) I honestly was dreaming last night and thinking through things I can maybe share that will be of help to others. I have a list of things going so I can prepare and try to answer some of the questions people such as owner operators might have. It is our wish that others can take home a few thoughts and ideas that might help them and their business.

I spoke with Tom King last night and I really think we will have some similar ideas, but also different perspectives as I am doing business in a community of a little over 10,000 people and a few more thousand people in the surrounding lakes areas. Tom does come from a larger population and I have to say, each one of us have our individual challenges on doing business in each environment ( in other words, I would not want to have to be Tom King and compete in that market of about 1.2 million people!)

I hope to be able to share with everyone that you can be successful in any market you choose. Myself and my family have been in carpet cleaning for about 50 years and we have always been in a small rural market doing business. We have been single truck and multi truck operations. I hope to share with everyone experiences and ideas that have helped myself and family support our families in this industry for many years.

I was just reading the latest benchmark survey of the Cleanfax magazine report and something that hit home was that 72.6% of carpet cleaners/company owners are still actively involved in the physical labor of cleaning. For me, I really love being on a truck with the boys! Doesn't mean I really have to do it, but dang it, where can you get a better physical exercise plan that someone pays you to do it! That's just my opinion at this time, but in the future, we are going to be passing the torch....if they can kick me off the truck!

Here is the link to that survey and I found it very nicely put together: http://www.cleanfax.com/ext/resources/surveys/CFAX-complete-survey.pdf

Having been a National competing marching band director, I learned a lot of ideas that really can help brand a business and design your vehicles and business image. In the marching band world, you have to have a new thought developing and taking place every 10 to 30 seconds of a 10 minute show. There is a lot of work that goes into that type of designing. We had a fun staff and I would usually run a staff show design session looking at signs and successful business branding. It also would usually take place in a bar making it even more interesting a lot of times! We would challenge each other to quick looks at signs and advertising to see what things popped out on a sign and why. We also would look at poorly designed signs and analyze why they did not work. That helped us to design better competitive field shows. With some of these ideas I hope to present, maybe you can design your vehicles and brand image to show off your message from a great distance.

I have learned a lot having been in that competitive world, as well as my past racing endeavors. All of these experience really helped me market and raise monies for my teaching charity causes, and I feel gave me better business opportunities.

I want to say, I am not "All Knowing" and having nothing to sell. I am just like 72.6 % of the cleaners out there that choose to (or have to) be part of the daily cleaning activities as well as run a business and it's many challenges, rewards and experiences. My wife says our company does not really have a CEO, we have a CF which stands for "Control Freak." It has always been in my nature to be a perfectionist and never one to turn down a challenge. But I am also comfortable just being a 2 truck company in a small town making a very nice living. So bring your questions and I look forward to meeting everyone! I love this industry and am one of the biggest carpet cleaning nerds around!

Mark Saiger
www.saigers.com

Joe Appleby

Supportive Member
Name
Joe Appleby
"What have I got to say for myself" When I attend any industry related event, I go with this mindset; find something that will pay for the event. This could be a new line item, a more affordable insurance company, time saving equipment/chemical, a new relationship or system. It must be something I can take home and use for the betterment of my company. Two or three would be excellent. As a matter of fact, I can tell you exactly what I took from last year's Mikeyfest that has paid for the trip several times over. I quantify what I implement. This is how I justify the expense of going. So my two cents is ask questions (of everyone), LISTEN , find some pearls and implement them. See you in February. I'll be the guy asking questions.

Mikey P

Administrator
Bio
Joe Appleby has owned and operated Appleby Cleaning and Restoration Inc. located in the San Francisco Bay Area for 34 years. He runs a soft and hard surface on-location multi truck operation along with a rug cleaning plant. He employs between 16 to 20 employees throughout the year along with numerous sub-contractors. Joe has been a "lurker" on Mikeysboard since 2006.

Managing Employees: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.
If you have employees or are curious about how to hire, manage and maintain good people,
Joe will share what has worked and not worked for his company. He will take you from hiring, managing to separation. Included will be some of Joe's policies, handouts, and lots of experience. Joe knows how important your time is and hopes to pack his presentation with as much information as possible.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Bio
Joe Appleby has owned and operated Appleby Cleaning and Restoration Inc. located in the San Francisco Bay Area for 34 years. He runs a soft and hard surface on-location multi truck operation along with a rug cleaning plant. He employs between 16 to 20 employees throughout the year along with numerous sub-contractors. Joe has been a "lurker" on Mikeysboard since 2006.

Managing Employees: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.
If you have employees or are curious about how to hire, manage and maintain good people,
Joe will share what has worked and not worked for his company. He will take you from hiring, managing to separation. Included will be some of Joe's policies, handouts, and lots of experience. Joe knows how important your time is and hopes to pack his presentation with as much information as possible.

And someone who's incredibly generous with his time and advise.

TomKing

Supportive Member
Name
Tom
Here is a little of my background

Started out in the
80's as a graphic designer in Chicago
90's as a Student Pastor at a few large churches
00's as a executive Sales Rep for Eli Lilly & Co
Currently running Sani-Bright Cleaning & Restoration

Sani-Bright has 10 employees, We run 3-4 trucks most days.

Selling in 2014
I will be sharing
How to create a sales message that works
What advertising pieces do you need to make sales calls with and why.
Targeting the right referral source's
I got in the car to make sales calls now what?
Using your office staff to support you in the field.
How to organize your sales route to maximize your time.
Ideas for getting others to sell for you.
What organizations should you join and why?
Creating your company Brand and sub branding your core services. Why?
Asking for the business. How to make it feel natural and unforced

I committed to mike no topic is off limits. Jordan my son will be with and we will be telling what we are doing today not 5 years ago.

Looking forward to sharing and learning from others.

Last edited:

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
If I do it will have to be the refundable type. :p

Certainly something consider, especially if I don't have to speak. I'd much rather throw the tomatoes that be thrown at! :winky:

Reactions: GCCLee

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
I don't know Mike.
But people here are starting to suspect that Sir Richard here, due to his scarceness and other undeniable similarities to Big Foot, is another fictional character :winky:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom