The new Accelerated exchange system...

Duane Oxley

Moon Unit
Name
Duane Oxley
Well, good things do take a little longer, it seems...

I had the system ready to paint and assemble, when a guy comes into the shop looking for someone to weld something for him, totally unrelated to carpet cleaning. Nice guy, and as often is the case, we struck up a conversation, and he asked what we're doing, etc.

I explained to him the concept of a heat exchanger, and how I'm working from several design "angles" at once, related to 1.) generating the heat and 2.) keeping the heat 3.) controlling the heat, to keep the explanation simple for him. When I explain about keeping the heat via good insulation, he says, "I've got a friend who has a special type of spray- on insulation, that he actually sells to NASCAR people and NASA, it's so good. I'll get you two in touch.". And he did.

Turns out that he was right. The stuff is a serious insulator. At 80 mil's thick, you can hold a piece of metal that's literally glowing red, and it feels like "ambient temperature", at your hand, just the space of 10 stacked business cards away.

So, the first system we're testing has that sprayed on it, from one end, to the other of the heat exchange system...

This is getting seriously interesting now....

We'll be cranking it up by the end of next week.

tman7

Supportive Member
Name
Tony Gillihan
I've got fiberglass insulation wrapped and duct taped around My HX and incoming pluming. Doesn't bump the temp much (5-10 deg) but seems to fluctuate less.

G

Its sold by the 5 gallon pails and 55 and 220 gallon tots.

Its been around for about 15 years.

JJ

G

Rex there is another website sells something similar. Do a search for acoustics then do a search for insulation.

Duane Oxley

Moon Unit
Name
Duane Oxley
Yup... The material it's applied to makes little difference, as long as it's solid (i.e., not flex- pipe), and doesn't move, once installed.

... but there's a trick to doing it on a manifold, where the temperature is hottest...

tman7

Supportive Member
Name
Tony Gillihan
2 Questions Duane; how is it working for you and where can we get some of this stuff?

Scott Rogers

Duane, let see some pictures of your new system. If you need me too I will post them for you. e-mail them to me.

Duane Oxley

Moon Unit
Name
Duane Oxley
Hey, Scott...

I'll have it running by Friday / Monday. The exchanger bracket had to be located in a way that I didn't plan on at first, so I had to re-design it and wait for the fabricator to burn it for me. I welded the parts afterward, to save time. That resulted in a delay of a few days. Not a biggie. I corrected the design drawing for subsequent ones.

I'll E-mail you a picture of it, pre- paint, when I was setting it up to lay it out and verify locations, etc. It's too "raw" to post in the pic's I took.

Duane Oxley

Moon Unit
Name
Duane Oxley
Tony...

The coating will be difficult to evaluate, in terms of heat gain / prevention of heat loss provided, because there's no A/B comparison provided for at first. I will do one on the next system first, just to see, then add it after the eval. I wanted to get this up and running ASAP first.

What will be apparent is how cool the "hot" parts are when the system is running, which will be an indication of how well the insulation really is.

My suspicion is that it will result in a net gain of 20 degrees or so... Not a huge amount by itself, but 20 degrees "here", 20 "there" and it adds up...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom