The Porcelain Tile phenomenon (updated 7-26-2021) - Mike Pailliotet & Mark Saiger

Mikey P

Administrator
The Porcelain Tile phenomenon (updated 5-22-2021) - Mike Pailliotet & Mark Saiger

What we know:

Porcelain tiles in all shapes, sizes and finishes are being factory treated with problematic coatings during the manufacturing process.

Tiles dating back to 2018 are of concern.

The coatings/glaze can easily scratch.

The coatings/glaze can become randomly splotchy from cleaning agents ranging from 9 to 14 pH.

Sometimes the splotchiness can be removed with a mild acidic cleaner (pH 4-5) or a neutral pH floor cleaner along with buffing with a microfiber towel or bonnet and a 175 floor machine

The splotchiness can also be permanent.

The splotchiness usually occurs in areas that were pretreated by the cleaner and allowed to dry before extracting.

It is our belief that the floor owner can damaged the coatings with normal house hold cleaning products.

The more the floor is cleaned, the easier it becomes to damage the top wear layer.

Powdered cleaning agents are far more likely to cause the splotchy damage.

If the tile's surface can be scratched, splotchiness is a given.

This is a global problem.

* update 6/2/21- Surface damage can be repaired, including scratched on test tiles. Various Porcelain polishing products being further tested.

What we believe:

These coatings/glazes may also act as slip resistant treatments.

These coatings could be protective to prevent damage during shipping.

Neutral cleaning agents do not create any issues.

The splotchiness could be something the homeowner or maintenance staff is creating, and we (Professional cleaning service providers) are only revealing it as we rinse the floors.

As of May 22, 2021 we don’t have a fix or a cure but testing of a two-part system out of Italy for Porcelain restoration will hopefully find a solution to fix both scratches and the splotchiness.

What we can do:

Professional cleaning services need to document all existing damage during the inspection process and have the customer sign and acknowledge.

Test for scratching.

Use the brush ring on your Spinner tool or hard surface wand

Be certain of the floor’s age prior to estimating or cleaning.

Risks involved to be stated in writing and signed and acknowledged by the customer.

Know how to positively identify Porcelain from Ceramic.

Last edited:

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
The Porcelain Tile phenomenon (updated 5-22-2021) - Mike Pailliotet & Mark Saiger

What we know:

Porcelain tiles in all shapes, sizes and finishes are being factory treated with problematic coatings during the manufacturing process.

The coatings can easily scratch.

The coatings can become randomly splotchy from cleaning agents ranging from 9 to 14 pH.

Sometimes the splotchiness can be removed with a mild acidic cleaner (pH 4-5) or a neutral pH floor cleaner along with buffing with a microfiber towel or bonnet and a 175 floor machine

The splotchiness usually occurs in areas that were pretreated by the cleaner and allowed to dry before extracting.

What we believe:

These coatings are most likely slip resistant treatments.

The splotchiness could be something the homeowner or maintenance staff is creating, and we (Professional cleaning service providers) are only revealing it as we rinse the floors.

As of May 22, 2021 we don’t have a fix or a cure but testing of a two-part system out of Italy for Porcelain restoration will hopefully find a solution to fix both scratches and the splotchiness.

What we can do:

Professional cleaning services need to document all existing damage during the inspection process and have the customer sign and acknowledge.

Test for scratching.

Risks involved to be stated in writing and signed and acknowledged by the customer.

Thank you for sharing this Mike.

Here is how most cleaners understand the cleaning of tile floors:

"As long as I stay away from natural stone, check for loose or missing grout, and test the grout to make sure there isn't any floor finish present, this is a safe and easy process that won't get me into trouble."

This issue could cause a rude awakening to anyone who thinks this.

Find every way you can to get this information out. Lee and I are inviting you to be a contributing editor to our Cleantip so that all of our subscribers can get this information as well.

Many thanks to Mark Saiger too!

Trip Moses

IMOL
Name
Trip Moses
For the last year at least, I seal every tile cleaning with Saigers. I don’t even tell the customer. If they ask of course I explain. I’ve had trouble with splotchy tile also at several homes. Sealing is the only thing that has eliminated post cleaning complaints.

Reactions: Condog and Mikey P

Mikey P

Administrator
1621866091701.png

Reactions: LCCFL

todg

Name
Michael Marcus
Interesting subject. I run across all types of different issues with porcelain and ceramic tiles on the way they are appearing and come to conclude the newer tiles have blotchy impressions trying to mimic natural stone...some folks tile have multiple chemicals products that leave a filmy residue...Each tile in other homes differs from its overall appearance...The newer tiles do have a layer of recycled plastic on top to make your floors "easy care easy maintenance..." at least that's what the manufacturers promote...lol

Attachments

• IMG_2017 (1).MOV
    26.9 MB
  • IMG_2017 (1).MOV
    26.9 MB
Last edited:

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
I ran into that in a bank foyer
When I ran into I had to correct it with a little acid rinse. I was a little worried that the acid would etch the tile but it worked out well. I was just being overly paranoid with the tile. If it was trav or marble I would not dare to use acid.

its good that you care Mike. Most guys would just walk away.

Reactions: LCCFL

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
The coating is to protect the tiles in shipping. Usually it can be removed with iso alcohol, but sometimes stronger solvents are required.

Very occasionally we've had to use a nano-scrub with a white pad to remove it.

Condog

Name
Tony

What we know:

The coatings can easily scratch.

The coatings can become randomly splotchy from cleaning agents ranging from 9 to 14 pH.

What we believe:

These coatings are most likely slip resistant treatments.

What we can do:

Test for scratching.

I stopped in at Floor & Decor and asked one of their associates how to tell porcelain from ceramic tiles.
He told me tile on the back is white, ceramic is red on the back.
I asked how to determine on tiles installed, with no spares around.
He said he didn't know.

Do you have a method?

Mikey P

Administrator

I stopped in at Floor & Decor and asked one of their associates how to tell porcelain from ceramic tiles.
He told me tile on the back is white, ceramic is red on the back.
I asked how to determine on tiles installed, with no spares around.
He said he didn't know.

Do you have a method?
Hes an idiot.

Ceramics dont have photographs.....

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom