The very best protector for raw silk "taffeta"

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
For truly zero risk I wouldn't touch it.

OMS carrier would probably be fine with any ones product but there is always a slight risk. Too bad you can't find any 111 trichlor, and that puppy would dry fast!

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
I've seen solvent based protectors do some strange things Mike

Two cases come to mind:

A blue and "snow" white checkered fabric had the white turn just a bit to the "eggshell" white and it could not be corrected. On new fabric the difference between "snow white" and "eggshell" is, of course, easily noticed by Mrs Customer.

The other was a polyester/acrylic blend print that "bled" after solvent based protector was applied. The cleaner cleaned it with alkaline detergents with no ill effect, but had qualms of conscience when it came to protector and thought he'd use solvent based protector to be on the safe side.

Oops.

You just never know

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I've had it change the "Hand" of the fabric and had to reclean the piece.

If I hadn't been the one to apply the protector I would have guessed over application but it wasn't.

I thought it just needed to cure, but it remained tacky until I re cleaned it.

:(

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
Ask here to get a fabric sample for you to pretest on to insure that the product you use will not have any ill effects. Then nuke it with cleaning/protector or whatever you think you need to do to find out how it will turn out.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Look at the Big Brain on David!!!

Of course a fabric swatch will react differently than fabric laid up against a black marker on the foam......activated by my solvent protector! :shock:

Been there too!

If you clean upholstery long enough you'll eventually see everything..............most of it bad! :cry:

:wink:

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Richard;

It is a replacement for the 1-1-1 trichlorethane we used originally.

Give me a call, and I would be happy to give you more details.

Your piece that turned "tacky" ,
was probably due to another product already on the fabric.

Larry

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Thanks just wondered, I think the 111 will be the end of me one of these days.

All solvents make me feel a little strange if I'm around them for any length of time.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Richard;

That sounds a little unusual for a guy who is exposed to:

Mold

& Burned Plastics

on a frequent basis.

:lol:

I assume you do fires also.

Larry

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
If Larry's product uses a chlorinated solvent carrier, it will work on silk taffeta as long as you apply it as a very fine mist and don't drip on the fabric. OMS and water carried products will both have a tendency to darken the fabric and leave rings.

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
Mike,
I treat a lot of new furniture for designers and they all will change the color and hand of silks slightly. At least in my experience. I usually get a sample from the decorator and treat half and you can always tell the difference. I still do it and so far no one has been able to see the slight changes. I prefer Maxim Advanced For Upholstery because it dries so quick but I also use Chemspec all fabric stain shield. I think the Maxim changes the look and feel a little less.

Gene

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
I loved the Fluorosil before they changed it to a mineral spirit base. Now They are all pretty much the same in respect to drying time.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom