Thermal image cameras...

Name
John
Lets talk about thermal image cameras. How often do you use yours? Every job or just on trouble jobs? which camera would you recommend for a small company? Thank you for ur responses

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Everyday!

We have (8) of them. We have (3) that we paid $12k for 8-10 years ago.
Now you can get a pretty nice for $1200.00 or so. Before only supervisors had them now every crew leader and the estimator have one.

I was going to buy (3) of the $6500.00 ones but bought (1) E-4, upgraded to an E-8. Then 4 more a few months after that. I got 5 for the price I was going to get one for. Now they are not blue tooth but they are really nice for the money. Check out ebay for a seller.

They are a must have! :cool:

New FLIR E4 Special Edition Upgraded to E8 320 x 240 | eBay
http://m.ebay.com/itm/New-FLIR-E4-S...3D201157598932&_trksid=p2056116.c100408.m2460

Last edited by a moderator:

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
We have only done so a handful of times and those were for "Thermal Inspection". Never for estimates or for WDR work.

You'll get your money back just from the extra work it will win you or that you will find that needs addressed.

Reactions: JonJ

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
They can be a real time saver by guiding you on where to look for mositure. Later in the job they can indicate how the job is going and when everything is dry. It is not just a tool for isnpection but a tool for daily checking on the job. I am sure that is why even Richard's techs have the cameras.

If buying one fore the company, I would tsart with an E6 or E8 model. These are better for documentations, photos and clear indications of the potentail problems. The cheaper models can be for the techs if they eventual get cameras. Specs for several models below.

Multi-Spectral Dynamic Imaging (MSX) for easier interpretation of an image - adds visible spectrum definition to IR images by detecting the edges of objects and including that detail in the thermal image. Text becomes clearly visible so that you can read a label or identifier within the IR image. This exclusive function provides extraordinary thermal detail that instantly highlights and orients problem locations and eliminates the need to refer back to a visual image for detail.

• IR Resolution:
    • FLIR E4 - 4,800 pixels (80 x 60)
    • FLIR E5 - 10,800 pixels (120 x 90)
    • FLIR E6 - 19,200 pixels (160 x 120)
    • FLIR E8 - 76,800 pixels (320 x 240)
  • Display: 3 color LCD
  • On-board 640 x 480 Digital Camera
  • Easy-to-use, weighs only 1.2lbs
  • 2% accuracy
  • File format: Radiometric JPG
  • Swappable Li-ion Battery with 4 hour life
  • Spot Measurement mode
  • Simultaneous storage of IR/Visual/MSX images
  • Picture in Picture image
  • Area Box Measurement mode
Includes:
Power supply/charger with four plugs, rechargeable battery, FLIR Tools software, USB cable, and hard transport case. E8 also includes extra battery and external battery charger.

Link to E6 model - https://interlinksupply.com/index.php?item_num=AC146

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Spend a little extra and get the 8.

Yes I used to be worried about the tech's having pricey tools but no longer with low investment on the new cameras. The On Call crews now have the advantage of thermal imaging on the first visit. :cool:

Reactions: J Scott W

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom