They called the wrong company

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Saturday we had a call from a facilities manager that we do emergency work for here in town. He had a loss at one of his facilities 2-hours from us but thought he had it handled. He was concerned though and asked if we could go take a look Monday.

My guys found a large area had been wet from a 2-inch water main that ran for 4-hours. The construction company was overwhelmed by the size of the damage, they only had 4-airmovers and 1 large dehumidifier. They had also purchased new a wall drying system because they had heard there were wet walls.

The contractors were from two hours away also but a different direction. They called a local carpet cleaner to assist them, he extracted and removed 500 carpet tiles. He also let 4-high amp draw airmovers and a 1200 dehumidifier but between the carpet cleaner and the contractor they couldn’t keep the equipment running. They were pulling too many amps and didn't have the load spread out enough, they kept tripping breakers.

We scanned the area with a thermal camera and found all lower walls were wet. Some ceilings and area that ran from ceiling to floor about 4-foot wide. We removed the wet drywall and insulation, tossed out the high amp draw stuff and both dehumidifiers and setup our equipment.

We have 30-units running (could have setup double but just not enough juice) and will reposition equipment as wet areas dry. We brought the tiles back with us and are drying them, they must have tried drying them outside on the driveway. The face of the carpet tiles was really hot but he must not have owned a moisture detector because they were all showing moisture and already had an odor.

The carpet sales people dropped by this morning and inspected the tiles and approved them for reinstall. There are a few that have glue all over them from being stacked wrong, not face to face but they have a small amount in inventory of the same style. We will clean them and deliver them back in a couple of days.

Because they pulled the tiles glue was being tracked throughout the facility and so the contractors put down paper to keep the glue tracking under control. Going to be fun for the installers removing that paper next week! :eekk:

They turned what would have been a simple dry down into a major headache for themselves. I was disappointed in that they didn’t call us first but this was almost better. They got a chance to experience first-hand why they use us instead of calling someone else.

What was to be an inspection turned out to be a good job for us, although it would have been cheaper had we done the loss from start to finish, even with the travel.

Oh well it's all work! :winky:

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
Been there many times Richard as I know you guys have too. Been to jobs where carpet cleaners or contractors were there and overwhelmed and had minimal equip resources. One job I remember was a 3 story water loss... they had 20 air movers and 2 dehus. Whole job required 6 dehu$ and 70 air mover$ and 2 rescue mat system$. We had it 90% dry in about 48 hrs.

I love the challenge of bigger jobs like that, and really miss doing it.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Big jobs are challenging in many aspects, the logistics of safety, manpower, equipment, paperwork, liability and....most of all payment. However once complete they can be rewarding if completed without any major snags. :winky:

Reactions: Lee Stockwell

Jeremy N

Supportive Member
The title of the thread reminded me of a great day that I had when New Braunfels flooded a few years back.

We were scouting out a neighborhood with some of our employees checking on folks and signing contract on foot. We pulled up to one house right off of the river that had a water line 6 feet up on the side of the house. As soon as I exited the van a lady came briskly walking towards me from inside the house. She's said, "oh thank goodness you are here. I thought you said it would take a while. Please hurry up and come inside and lets get started!" i had no idea who this lady was. It was striclty a walk-up cold call. I walked in the house and pulled a work auth and other paperwork out of my bag. I told her that I would be glad to help and we are there to fix her problems. Right when we finished signing another WD company pulled up. He was really pissed when he found out what happened. He pushed his way inside the house and was trying to intimidate the poor lady in her 60s. Eventually I had to get rude with him and tell him to leave. Once he got outside we saw him going crazy and throwing his stuff all over the yard. He was screaming at his guys and generally looking like an idiot.

I don't feel bad one bit becasue the guy was probably a crook of some sort. Thank the Lord I landed the job by accident and Mrs B was handled properly by us. It turned out to be a 90k project.

kmdineen

Name
Kevin Dineen
Because they pulled the tiles glue was being tracked throughout the facility and so the contractors put down paper to keep the glue tracking under control. Going to be fun for the installers removing that paper next week! :eekk:

Were thecarpet tiles rubber backed? How would your guys have dried them and what wouldyou have done about the glue on the floor if the tiles had to be removed?

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Kevin as you know the vinyl back ones can't be dried very well. The moisture can't pass from the concrete through the tile. But there were more porous, I truly feel if we had gone over them with the Rover the thin foam would have compressed and only left very little moisture there. I think with air movement and low vapor pressure the remaining moisture would escape between the tiles.

We've done several things as far as the glue, cleaned it up, laid runners, covered with cardboard duct taped together.

SMRBAP

Supportive Member
Name
Anthony
It's a huge problem everywhere. Contractors who haven't the first clue how to properly control odor chasing fires and mold jobs, carpet cleaning companies with zero certs or training sucking & placing 1/4 of the gear needed (if anything) and running, leaving cat 3 materials in place, tearing structures to pieces to dry what would have been a 3 day dry left in tact.....

You have to have a certification to cut out 1 sq ft of drywall that was hung and painted pre-1974 but can freely spread mold spores through entire structures and leave structures primed for microbial growth to cash in on the restoration "goldmine".

I'd love to see the powers that be lobby/push for licensing requirements for fire, water, & mold - hell maybe even require permits be pulled within 48 hrs of loss. I'm not one for red tape, but it's getting out of hand in my market. Really giving the industry a black eye, as well as making people only want the PSP's.

Anytime we get weather - whatever water loss calls we got - double to triple that number for mold inspection requests 2-3 weeks following, 90% botched from a "restorer". Something we can bank on every go around.

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
Big jobs are challenging in many aspects, the logistics of safety, manpower, equipment, paperwork, liability and....most of all payment. However once complete they can be rewarding if completed without any major snags. :winky:

Yes - many don't consider the other factors you mentioned. With all the storm chasing I've done, I've watched many companies come out of it broke before they could even finish a project and collect a payment.

I agree Anthony something had to be done, but will the insurance companies be willing to pay for extra permits, ect?

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
We stay out of storm chasing, it's just not us. we don't have the infrastructure, the volume of equipment or the desire to pursue it.

There is certainly big money to be made but it doesn't come without big risk. We have guys here on the board that can do it and do it well but it's because they have the experience combined with a lot of thought and planning and a good line of credit. :winky:

Jeremy N

Supportive Member
We stay out of storm chasing, it's just not us. we don't have the infrastructure, the volume of equipment or the desire to pursue it.

There is certainly big money to be made but it doesn't come without big risk. We have guys here on the board that can do it and do it well but it's because they have the experience combined with a lot of thought and planning and a good line of credit. :winky:

We don't either but this was in my hometown.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
We've had a few big storms like that too. Nice when the work comes to you. :winky:

Not that I'd steer anyone away from storm chasing, it can be done as long as you do your homework ahead of time. Don't wait until it hits to gather up equipment, permits, making contact with potential work, lodging, fuel, gensets. It takes planning even if you're just a sub, gentleman's agreements on pricing, procedure and paperwork.

Jeremy N

Supportive Member
I was involved with hurricane Ike for over 9 months in Galveston. Fun times...

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
We chase storms but don't go fishing for work. We usually have work lined up before we leave. And lately we have secured retainers before heading out.

We are the smallest of probably all companies that chase storms as we only use two box trucks most off the time with only 2-4 techs. This limits overhead and overall attempts to control cost associated with chasing storms.

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
2013-09-11_11-19-50_754_zps72df0813.jpg This is the backing, had it been the hard vinyl I would agree it should come up.

So if they were rubber backed you would have removed them to dry the subfloor, and then dry the tile seperately off site... or do you pitch them and theyre replaced ?

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Rubber back the Rover extracts them very well and with the right setup can dry in a day two at the most. If they are vinyl back we would have dried the face, then pulled them up and moved the out of the affected area. Then dried the concrete to get to the trapped moisture.

The vinyl just doesn't allow the trapped moisture that got down between the tiles to move though them. Its a vapor barrier we've tried heat, air flow, dehumidification and still when you pull a tile there is moisture there. I think you would have to create super low vapor pressure in order to get it to move if that. It's more cost effective to dry it, move it and dry the remaining moisture.

If you don't remove them I think you'll find you'll the moisture in the concrete will cause you a problem. That moisture combined with the dirt and dust and glue become a food source and you get some microbial activity beneath the vinyl, causing you some odor.

Vinyl back tiles are really very durable and usually come out fine. If they have some inventory they generally keep all the solid tiles and replace the special cuts with the new inventory.

Cardboard works best to cover up the glue on the concrete while the tiles are out. Installer don't use nearly as much glue on the vinyl tiles because they are designed to be rotated in and out as they wear a traffic pattern. Those tiles we have here in the shop were glued heavily, they should have been dried in place.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom