This is why I run a stealth van.

The weather here is dangerously hot.

There is a big difference between a hundred degrees and a hundred with 80 percent humidity. The high is touching 104 over the next few days. I have to clean a few empties this week which are around 3500 sq ft each with no F'n AC. At mid-day on the second floor the actual heat in these homes is like 115 with a 120 heat index. NO thank you. That is why I am starting tomorrow at 5:30 am and plan on being done at 9:30. If anyone wants to complain, I will tell them I am a local chem dry and they can call the office.

http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/38122

TA152H

Another alternative is to buy one (or more) of those portable air conditioners, and pop it into the apartment before you are ready to work on it, so by the time you get there, the temperature is bearable.

It's a little more work, but it at least will allow you to operate in otherwise impossible conditions.

everfresh1

Name
Jamie Cohen
Aahh... Quite crying. Be a man and suck it up. a little sweat is good for you. If you can't take it, bring a blower and use it.

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
Heat stroke and heat exhaustion are serious. People die every year. Stay hydrated, wet towel across your shoulders, fans, whatever it takes. Here in AZ we take it serious. It was cloudy and rained here today, but the trend is supposed to be up to about 110 here by Friday. Yuck.

Name
Lee Stockwell
Memphis TN hot is a lot worse than Detroit MI hot.

I'm making adjustments in my scedule this week to survive a projected week of 100 F. days. Even for my sons in their 30's this is a dangerous time to work stupid.

Jamesh921

Name
James
>>I have to clean a few empties this week which are around 3500 sq ft each <<

I don't think these are apartments. One little window AC unit ain't gonna help much, if at all.

I cleaned 4 rms and a hall last wednesday at 10:00 in the morning with no AC on in the house. Had to change shirts afterward before heading to the next job. Totally drenched.
Summertime 100 degree heat, combined with Oklahoma humidity, is the closest thing you can get to hell on earth.

joeynbgky

Supportive Member
Name
Joey
I have been telling the customers lately that, they need to have the electric and a/c on... If they don't like it, they can find someone else, or possible pay alot more! My guys don't complain much, but that's because I try not to put them in situations like this......

randy

Name
Randy
Stay away from the soda & gatorade, just drink lots of water through out the day. If you feel dizzy, sit down immediately and rest. Take breaks often if there is no A/C.

A few years ago I passed out on a job and ended up with a concussion, stitches and an embarrassing ride in a rescue squad.
Be careful out there with these high temps, it's not worth the risk just to prove what a tough guy you are. Especially since there is about a 80% chance that you will experience involuntary urination when you lose consciousness. thathurts

everfresh1

Name
Jamie Cohen
Memphis TN hot is a lot worse than Detroit MI hot.

:roll: Thats bull, I just got back from there a couple weeks ago and at that time it was actually worst up here. We always have high humidity here which is the problem not the heat. I know you guys have it there too, but not like up here although its not bad now, For a couple of weeks it was hell.

Jeff

Name
Jeff Sybert
Last week at the end of the day I about dropped. Dizzy, eyes focusing erratically, all I could think is 'this customer is going to find me on the floor.' Thankfully I was picking up my sliders and ready to walk out, took 5 on my knees and things cleared up. Drove to the shop and then home.

I drank all day but the only thing I got rid of was sweat. So I should have obviously been drinking more at least to the point of having to take a leak. I checked my weight that morning and when I got home my wife said I was dehydrated which I knew at that point so I began drinking and went to weight myself I lost 6 lbs in 8 hrs. All day long it was like I just climbed out of the shower. I hate it when it's like that.

Name
Lee Stockwell
I grew up near Coldwater Michigan and have likewise spent a lot of time in both places. Memphis is consistantly much more muggy. Worked there this week.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
106 here yesterday. Really didn't seem that bad. I've been through 114 in Sacramento. I stayed in AR for a week of 120.
Little too hot to work in.

joey895

Supportive Member
Name
Joey J.
The heat index is 107 right now at 8:00am supposed to get to around 114. It hit 116 yesterday.

I really haven't thought much of it, I have quited a few regular property managers that never have the power on when I clean, I can't imagine telling them to either turn the power on just for me or pound sand.

I guess when you are born and raised in Florida you just get used to the weather (or maybe it's my superior physical conditioning :lol: )but boy have I been hearing the whining from my wife and Mother in law and every other transplanted Yankee come across, which is a lot.

John Buxton

More people die from heat than all other natural disasters combined. Heat stroke is serious stuff.

adamh

Supportive Member
Name
Adam Hale
Passed out in an empty house when it was over 100 degrees years ago. I woke up on my face. I did make it outside before I lost my lunch. Aaahhh good times good times!

rhino1

Name
Chris Bolin
Jeez, what a bunch of sissies.... I used to work in coal burning power plants in this heat. The hottest job I ever had was at the aluminum smelter. Spend 12 hours working in a pot room full of 2000 degree molten aluminum and 105 outside feels like air conditioning. I don't even notice the heat anymore, but the cold hurts my bones.

TimP

This is the temp right now at 11:00 central time

92°F
Feels Like: 106°
Details:
Dangerous heat index. Outdoor exposure should be limited.
Past 24-hr:
Precip: 0.17 in (est.)
Snow: 0 in
Wind:
From W at 2mph

It's expected to get to 98 and probably a heat index of 117+

It's Damn hot. Not my favorite time of year to work......I had plenty of time when the weather was right but everyone wants cleaning this time of year. :evil:

joeynbgky

Supportive Member
Name
Joey
I have lived alot of places, and detroit's heat and humidy does not have a damn thing on Kentucky south, and TN.. Whomever said that, lay off the booze!

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
its one of the benefits of the west coast, moderate temps. Even if the temp does get up to 85, there's usually a cool breeze off the ocean.

Guess its worse for the guys trying to clean 4 rms/stairs and 2 sofas in an hour!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom