This juy is ripping my buddy off.

postaldave

What the Heck!!!

I am helping a buddy out for awhile, he is recovering from a stroke. So now his calls are coming to me till hes better. Looked at his Yellow page Display Ad ,And What the Heck???? there's his ad at the t0p of the page, And under his 1/4 page ad ,is an competiors ad same name as his bussiness. But is using a web address.
starting with www. Can another bussiness steal you're Name and get away with it by doing this type of scam. What's Youre Take. Postaldave :evil:

Newman

Name
Chris Newman
postaldave said:
But is using a web address.
starting with www. Can another bussiness steal you're Name and get away with it by doing this type of scam. What's Youre Take. Postaldave :evil:

Not enough information to determine. From your description, I assume your friend has a company name, registered with the state, that would be somthing like Townsville Carpet Cleaning.

Another company, with a different name like Joes Carpet Cleaning, has bought the URL www.townsvillecarpetcleaning.com and has that web address in his ad.

If this example is close to your situation, your buddy missed the boat on getting the URL. This is not stealing or a scam, just good marketing.

randy

Name
Randy
THE bad news: Unless your buddy trademarked his business name, anyone can legally use "his" name. In fact if they trademark the name they will be the legal owner of the name. The good news: Anyone can check the trademark stats of a name online for free ( search for the patent & trademark office) online. For a filing fee 0f $174.00 you can file your own trademark.

Being incorporated under a certain name, filing a fictitious name (non-incorporated business name) , getting a business licence under the name or operating for years under the name gives you nothing. Someone can trademark the name and stop you from using it.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Area specific urls or keyword rich urls are good for the customer to remember or for familiarity etc but doesn't do much for SEO.

Back
Top Bottom