Thoughts on Boxxer 427???

curt johnson

Name
Curt Johnson
What are positives and negatives of the Boxxer 427? I know they don't make that model anymore. I also know they had trouble with the head gasket....Anything else good or bad to look out for? May have found a good deal on a used one with about 2k hours....

steve frasier

Supportive Member
Name
steve frasier
The machine I had was a new model at the time and went through several updates, bad belts, exhaust fell apart. Never had a head gasket problem but the blower had to be replaces after a few hours, out of timing. I really didn't like the vacuum after 150'.

John Olson

Name
John Olson
There is a reason they stopped making the machine. The engine is also no longer available but I hear there is a kit to change the engine out. If someone traded one in to me today even with 1000 hours it would become a parts machine I would not sell it as a running machine even if it ran.

packfancjh

Name
Chris Hagen
with the upgraded 31hp motor it makes a pretty good unit. We just finished up a motor swap on one and it runs like a champ, so far. There is another 427 in my area that we have done the motor swap on and it has been running for over 1000 hours with no issues. Engine parts are no longer made so if you do run into a head issue you will have to swap the motor out and it will run you roughly 4K

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Engine parts are no longer made so if you do run into a head issue you will have to swap the motor out and it will run you roughly 4K
Curt I'd look for something else! Maybe Chris or John have something or know of a unit for sale.

Potential for a 4K repair would make me pass on that unit.

curt johnson

Name
Curt Johnson
Thats enough to scare me away. I saw this one listed locally for dirt cheap. Owner says leaking coolant so head is shot. I dont want to risk having to replace entire motor...

packfancjh

Name
Chris Hagen
The risk isn't bad but you would have to get the machine for around 1K to make the motor swap worth it.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Chris is right, the engine upgrade makes all the difference if you get the used one cheap enough.

The converted ones don't get quite as hot though; have you noticed that too Chris?

packfancjh

Name
Chris Hagen
Because you have to remove the coolant heat exchanger on the engine swap you will lose a little heat but the machine should still get near 215 to 220 degrees.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom