Tile and grout HACKING

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
I finally got to a tile/grout job that I have been eager to do, as it was to be my first T/G job.
<o:p
Pretty dirty ceramic tile in a restaurant bathroom…………

View attachment 5248

View attachment 5249

I pretreated it with a healthy dose of Grease Eraser, gave it a good 20 minute dwell and scrubbed it twice with my Orbiter with it's hard surface brush and rinsed<o:p<o:p with my M-5 and wand cranked at appx. 550 psi.

[video=youtube;IoNof8JtxYA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoNof8JtxYA[/video]<o:p<o:p<o:p<o:p

<o:p<o:p<o:p<o:p<o:p<o:p
<o:p<o:p<o:p<o:p<o:p<o:p[video=youtube;swjL3dDyVtE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swjL3dDyVtE[/video]
<o:p<o:p<o:p<o:p<o:p<o:p

<o:p<o:p<o:p<o:p<o:p<o:p<o:p<o:p<o:p<o:p<o:p<o:pNot perfect, but not too bad.
I am well aware of my equipment's limitations, so please spare me, as I do realize now with this little bit of new actual experience, how much easier and more efficient it would have been with a spinner/TM, which is a great motivator in working towards my goal of expanding my set up.

With that said, I must say that it was a good experience, as I now know more regarding what I can tackle with my current equipment.

The biggest thing that surprised me during this job was the amount of detail work that is necessary, and was surprised to see how much additional time is needed to do the little things, like to scrub the baseboard, around the toilet, around doorstops, around fixture legs, and anywhere else that your rotary of choice cannot reach.

I can now see the importance of a nice assortment of manual scrubbing brushes and tools of varying sizes and lengths.
I can think of a lot of tools that would have saved me a lotof time and produced better results.

Finished her off with 2 coats of solvent sealer applied alla’ Mikey, sprayed on and microfibered in.

Again, from perfect, but good experience, and a step in the right direction in my of my pursuit of adding T\G to the list of things I can HACK.</o</o</o</o</o</o</o</o</o</o</o</o</o</o</o</o</o</o</o</o</o</o</o</o</o</o</o</o</o</o</o</o</o</o</o</o</o</o</o

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
It was definitely cleaner and I am very glad you did the best job you could do with the equipment you had. When I started I did the same way and now that we have a better setup with the right chems, we can just blow threw these types of jobs delivering the best results.

We would have flown threw that' in about 20-30 minutes tops. Prespray alkaline (flex or cobbs or oxyblaster or floor stripper what ever floats our boat at he moment) let dwell while we run vac hoses( just a few minutes does the trick on tile). We would of scrubbed with a crb and blasted it with 950-1150 psi at 220+ degree solution with a turbo hybrid.

Reactions: Art Kelley
J

JS41035

Looks great! I've seen some guys use TM and spinners and not do as good of a job.
When you do get a turbo hybrid. It kinda feels magic. A 15 dollar grout brush is also a lifesaver. Every job is different but I've found that good pre spray pretty much eliminates the need to use a rotary scrubber. Pre spray then sprinkle some powder on the tile. The 5 inch gekko head is great for detailing.

Reactions: Art Kelley
J

JS41035

It was definitely cleaner and I am very glad you did the best job you could do with the equipment you had. When I started I did the same way and now that we have a better setup with the right chems, we can just blow threw these types of jobs delivering the best results.

We would have flown threw that' in about 20-30 minutes tops. Prespray alkaline (flex or cobbs or oxyblaster or floor stripper what ever floats our boat at he moment) let dwell while we run vac hoses( just a few minutes does the trick on tile). We would of scrubbed with a crb and blasted it with 950-1150 psi at 220+ degree solution with a turbo hybrid.

I almost got to reply first.

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
You can use a Turbo Hybrid with your Mytee at 550 psi or whatever it tops out at and get excellent results. The addition of a water hog or similar high pressure pump would give you TM results with your Mytee/TH combo without ever buying a TM. You might blow a circuit or two though. LOL

Name
BradFenstermaker
Nice job. Don't go blowing the profit on additional tools yet. Do a few more jobs. Adjust price if ya lost time in the detailing.

I sometimes just scrub with crb and rinse at 600 psi 220dg with my 4 jet gecko tile wand.

Take plenty of before/after for selling your service. Not everybody details like you did.

Something for more psi is a $100 electric pressure washer. Adapt for your tools. I looked into this for high rise job. My 1/4 in hose would of screwed right in.

Wait til you detail a few automatic flushers. LOL

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
Cleaned like that for years with a 175rpm and us products machine. 10 Years before that just 175 and shop vac.
Can do a fine job but can be a hassle sometimes on the messy ones.

For tile in hard to reach places mr clean magic eraser works great.

D

Deleted member 51539

The way you have your assist handle on the wand,

I would assume you hack carpet too...

idreadnought

Supportive Member
Name
Richard
All the specialty tile cleaners are pretty expensive. I clean a pizza restaurant twice a year and just use tile stripper with some peroxide in it. Cleans very nice and the floor stripper is only like 15 bucks a gallon I believe. Basically floor strippers are high alkalie cleaners. They pose no risk to tile. On that job we use a 175 machine with a wax stripping brush on it. Easy peasy.

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
Yes, we also use floor strippers in most commercial tile/grout work.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom