tile cleaning question

AJR

Supportive Member
Name
Whatshisbutt
Cleaned some tile in a bunch of bathrooms yesterday. Today one bathroom has a row of tile buckled :x used same chems and equip on all areas. I am not sure what would cause this we have cleaned same areas before. I have installed tile for years and looks like an install issue. Any how I will be pulling up some tile tomorrow lol.

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
had tiles pop in a bathroom near a room we cleaned. we never even walked into that bathroom. just bad luck as they were sure it was something we did. properly installed tiles should not come loose due to cleaning. it takes a jackhammer to remove them when properly installed.

gene

Jamesh921

Name
James
Did they pop in the middle of the room or near the walls?

Concrete subfloor or Wood?

How long have they been down?

Did you notice any cracked/missing grout when you cleaned?

AJR

Supportive Member
Name
Whatshisbutt
6x6 Ceramic field tile, over slab the stuff is really meant for the walls not floors although I have seen it used on floors.
There were some chips and some damage but I have cleaned them before. The bathroom next to it had no prob same tile and cleaned the same way. I fixed it today, pulled up bucked tiles cleaned them and reset them. As you can imagine if I was able to reset the same tiles they must of not been bonded to well and that was the case. No cement or thinset on the backs of these tile. I believe that the heat and the absorbed water caused tile to swell. The lack of a good bond was a contributing factor. The facilities manager was with me on my assumption and told us to bill them for the repair. He was very happy that we steped up and fixed the problem quickly. They know now that the tile is not for use on floors and now understand why they have so many chiped tiles in both bathrooms and to plan on replacing in near future. By the way I told them to not expect a bill. Yes I know that I am prob wrong to accept responsability for repair but if I had I could replace all the tile in that restroom with little effort and expence.

AJR

Supportive Member
Name
Whatshisbutt
Sorry didn't answer questions.

Center of the room
Slab
Been down for years 10 plus
I have cleaned twice before
200 deg. Temp at truck
800 psi
Prochem alklyn