Tile pictures, What would you do with it?

joeynbgky

Supportive Member
Name
Joey
I have some older tile at a customers home. It has a wax build up on the tile of some kind. The grout looks like it needs more than cleaned. What would you do? I'm going to try and get all these pictures in here.
tile1.jpg

tile2.jpg

tile3.jpg

tile4.jpg

tile5.jpg

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
offer a three step process, a color sealing, a regrouting, or suggest they replace it

The three step process: Use a stripper first and heavy. dwell and scrub the bajeezes out of it. Apply an alakline cleaner if needed. And then use an acid cleaner to etch off the top layer of grout if needed.. assess from there or offer the other services.

RickL

I have done several floors exactly like that. Probably VCT wax they put on it to make it look shiney. You are going to have to strip it then turbo then probably do another strip turbo then acid clean. You still will most likely get marginal results.
As far as Color Sealing this goes that is a porus tile and the haze from the color seal can be a
bitch to remove and most likely you'll see it lightly.
For a stripper I'd use Johnson fast strip or barebones and use LOTS OF DEFOAMER cause stripper foams like crazy.

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
RickL said:
I have done several floors exactly like that. Probably VCT wax they put on it to make it look shiney. You are going to have to strip it then turbo then probably do another strip turbo then acid clean. You still will most likely get marginal results.
As far as Color Sealing this goes that is a porus tile and the haze from the color seal can be a
bitch to remove and most likely you'll see it lightly.
For a stripper I'd use Johnson fast strip or barebones and use LOTS OF DEFOAMER cause stripper foams like crazy.

Don't skimp on the scrubbing part. If you can get a 175 with the mutliple lenght bristle tile and grout brush that would be a great asset to you. and make sure to scrub the grout with the grout brush well. You may want to consider using a wet/dry vac after your initial stripping to keep the VCT wax out of your waste tank. The slurry can gum up hoses and your waste tank in a hurry. Then eithers strip again and turbo or look at doing a high alkaline tile/grout cleaner. It will do some stripping and will help go after dirt directly.

But above all elese charge accordingly.

John Olson

Name
John Olson
What would I do? Run...not walk...run.... If you choose not to run charge 6 bucks a foot. those are clay tiles there will be nothing good that comes out of that job except experience in choosing to run next time.

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
Or set reasonable expectations by doing a test bed area say a few tile in a back corner or under table and see if homeowner approves. Sometimes they come out good, sometimes not.

joe harper

Name
joe harper

DITTO...... :!:

joeynbgky

Supportive Member
Name
Joey
I called another carpet and tile cleaning company to take care of it. We clean the customers house once a week and do the carpet every 3 months. So im not worried about the guy stealign my job. Besides the guy i sent over there charges .60 cents a square foot to clean carpet.

John Olson

Name
John Olson
sweendogg said:
Or set reasonable expectations by doing a test bed area say a few tile in a back corner or under table and see if homeowner approves. Sometimes they come out good, sometimes not.

I agree it CAN be done. I would do it for $6 per sq and it would come out NEW because I could replace it for $5 per sq and pocket an extra $1 :)

John Olson

Name
John Olson
joeynbgky said:
I called another carpet and tile cleaning company to take care of it. We clean the customers house once a week and do the carpet every 3 months. So im not worried about the guy stealign my job. Besides the guy i sent over there charges .60 cents a square foot to clean carpet.

Good call.... maybe...if the job turns out ugly the homeowner may still blame you. Make sure to educate them that wax does not belong on tile.

G

Will it cause the tile to crack and chip, because it can't 'breathe'?

alazo1

Name
Albert Lazo
No way in hell I'd walk without at least doing a small test.

The test may determine that it's not worth it but you never know. If this is the same tile as what's used in restaurants, it is not too porous and may be fairly easy to strip if the right chemistry is used.

Albert

Name
Bruce
Just like Albert said , never walk with out at least doing a test to determine what it's going to take to get the job done and then if it's going to be worth it.

This is a job I did a year ago, maintenance had been putting down wax for 20 years :shock: I did a test to show them what could be done and what to expect.
IMG_0193small.JPG

Second picture you can clearly see most of the wax is gone but not all.
IMG_0197small.JPG

No matter how long I let the stripper dwell with scrubbing was going to remove the remainder of the wax. Customer loved how it looked , so I set my price based on the test. Was it perfect? no , is it what the customer wanted? yes
IMG_0198small.JPG

John Olson

Name
John Olson
Very nice post and pictures Bruce. At this time of year maybe I shouldn't be so quick to tell folks to run away from potential nightmares. During the busy time floors like this are better left alone as the time you'll spend for what you'll make just isn't worth it. To many other jobs can be done that will be easier and more profitable. Then again you never know the customer just might pay to fix it.

My apologies. I was wrong to be so absolute.

joeynbgky

Supportive Member
Name
Joey
Those pictures look great! And I like the new color your changed the grout to. Oh well, sometimes I win some and sometimes i dont. Plus I'm not real good with tile yet... Except vct. I need some training

John Olson

Name
John Olson
Joey that floor WILL be a pain in the ass. You would need to charge alot and the chance of the customer not being satisfied is very high. No shame in walking away. Since you reffered someone else if the get the job they should let you come help and learn.

Gary T

Not sure why people are so afraid of these jobs. Your worst part is getting the wax out of the grout. I do these things all the time. Yes the first couple sucked. Just have to do the testing. Fastrip mixed room temp, 20 min dwell, agitate, vac, turbo, do it again to get the rest of the crap out of the grout. Acid wash if needed. Color seal, no problem.

If you replace the floor for $6 per foot, your not going to get too far past the demo stage cause you'll have no money left to install the new backer, purchase tile, thinset, grout, etc then install it. I love the guys who say they can replace a floor for $5 bucks a foot. Ain't going to happen.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom