Newman

Name
Chris Newman
This jetpack can be yours for $100,000

101911-tech-jet%20pack.grid-6x2.JPG

By Irene Klotz
Discovery Channel
updated 11/19/2010 1:47:42 PM ET 2010-11-19T18:47:42

A personal aircraft that requires minimal training and no pilot's license is about ready for production.

"We're trying to make the world's easiest-to-fly aircraft," Richard Lauder, chief executive of New Zealand-based Martin Aircraft Company tells Discovery News. "Our goal is to create a Segway for the sky, where the principles of flying would be very simple."

It certainly looked that way in the movies and TV shows of the 1960s and 1970s, when everyone from James Bond to Gilligan strapped on a jetpack for a thrilling change of scene.

"I think there's been an interest in this type of flying vehicle ever since man started to fly," said Dick Knapinski communications director for the Experimental Aircraft Association, a non-profit organization. "Going back to Buck Rogers in the '30s, '40s and '50s, it was assumed that within 50 years these things would have become commonplace. It hasn't gone quite as quickly. I think there's a lot more engineering in it than one might perceive."

The key problem has been what is called the "weight-to-thrust" ratio, which basically boils down to the conundrum that the heavier you are or the longer you want to stay in the air, the more power you need, which in turn means you have to carry more weight. The highly publicized Bell Rocket Belt, which was developed in the 1950s, could only fly for 30 seconds, for example.

Martin Aircraft set out to build a flying machine that would fall within U.S. aviation regulations for ultralights, defined as aircraft weighing 254 pounds or less, designed for one person, holding no more than five gallons of fuel and capable of moving at a top speed of 55 knots (63 miles per hour).

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
I'm so there.

Even if they made one with some kind of ceiling limit...like 20 feet or something...could be calibrated to the ground some how.

The segway analogy is good...make it easy, not really fast but really safe and you'll have a winner for the general public.

Course, I want one that does 150mph at 100 feet up at least.

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
This is what you need Brian!

i]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9_s_qmoHQoi]

On another note..with that $100,000 gadget, what kinda insurance will one need? :roll:

When you take off in front of your garage and hit the powerlines overhead? :shock:

And burn yourself into a rag doll by hitting 200000000volts!! :shock:

And knock the power out for your neighborhood..which will get all your neighbor pissed and yes they all gona be pissy little rich people -if you can buy a $100G toy then you must be living in a neighborhood loaded with snobs...they will come out asking "when is the freaking power will be back on????? and what the hell is that burnt smell???? Some one clean up!!!!!"

So when can I buy one again??? :lol: :mrgreen: :lol: shiteatinggrin

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
I dreamed I was flying around in one of those things. Somehow I was in a dirty old factory flying near the ceiling. Of all the stupid places to be dreaming about, but at least I was flying.

Ryan

Zalan Szabo (zee) said:

4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9_s_qmoHQo4]

On another note..with that $100,000 gadget, what kinda insurance will one need? :roll:

When you take off in front of your garage and hit the powerlines overhead? :shock:

And knock the power out for your neighborhood..which will get all your neighbor pissed and yes they all gona be pissy little rich people -if you can buy a $100G toy then you must be living in a neighborhood loaded with snobs...they will come out asking "when is the freaking power will be back on????? and what the hell is that burnt smell???? Some one clean up!!!!!"

Yeah because its so safe to get in a 2000 pound vehicle and drive it at 60 miles an hour within feet of another going the same speed in the opposite direction. Many of them driven by texting teenagers and drunks.

Name
Lee Stockwell
power lines.

Reminds me of early snowmobiles in the late 60's zipping thru barbed wire fences with soon-to-be headless riders.

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
Ryan said:
Zalan Szabo (zee) said:

j]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9_s_qmoHQoj]

Yeah because its so safe to get in a 2000 pound vehicle and drive it at 60 miles an hour within feet of another going the same speed in the opposite direction. Many of them driven by texting teenagers and drunks.

Yes!!!!! :roll: :roll: Finally- I was waiting for that comment and what will follow... let's mention superfast speed boats, turbocharged jet-skis, 180 horsepower speed bikes....etc...etc.
Yes- everything can be dangerous but to me the difference is that they are all on the ground or on the "surface" of the waterways or lakes.

I don't know....to me anything flying will always be more dangerous and will cause more worry.

Newman

Name
Chris Newman
A few years ago the health insurance companies in Illinois attempted to sneak by exclusions for "Inherently Dangerous activities". Think of it, letting the insurance companies not pay a claim due to the potential that harm may befall you when you straddle a motorcycle, ride a snowmobile, horseback riding, (place your activity here), or strap on a jet pack.

I am a member of a PAC called ABATE and we let our voices be heard in the Capitol, the bill was shot down.

Political power is inherently dangerous in a free society, it threatens our fundamental freedoms.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom